#1 johndeereelfman ONLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:43 PM

So as I'm planning my projects for the year, I determined that I have a lot to do by the end of 2016. I have my youngest son Ryan's Wheel Horse RJ to finish, my oldest son Caleb's John Deere 70 to finish (as he lost interest in finishing it himself) starting the restoration of a John Deere 110 for my Dad that has been stripped and waiting for primer for the past 6 years, and if my buddy stops in to sign the contract and drop off the down payment, I'll have his John Deere 110 to restore as well. 

Although I have a lot going on, I'm looking forward to being able to work on so many projects at the same time. While waiting for parts of one project to dry, I can work on another. And women say men can't multitask!

Anyway, back to the initial thought. I was just curious to see if there are others out there that have taken on the adventure of restoring multiple tractors at the same time? If so, how many did you take on in a year, and how well did it work out for you? Worth doing it, or was it a total disaster? 

My only concern for this idea is, where and how I'm going to store the parts while in the drying process. As most of you know, I don't have a whole lot of room around here, so if any of you have any drying rack ideas or suggestions as to how to store parts and pieces while waiting for assembly, I'd like to hear what you come up with.

• truck21, backwoods, HANKG and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:56 PM

I have two going on right now. Side tag '68 110 will be a show queen because I can see that for it.  it is mostly disassembled.  Frankentwelve is currently running but the '77 frame is in the process of being stripped for paint then the best parts of the two machines will make one using '77 dash pedestal and serial tag.  My three big challenges are room for the work, time to do it, and money to fund it.  That's life.

Edited by Trav1s, April 02, 2016 - 08:57 PM.

• 1964Deere, truck21, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:59 PM

How about years per restoration?? Do negative numbers count?

• Gtractor, limebuzz, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:33 PM

One per year or two here.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:36 PM

My three big challenges are room for the work, time to do it, and money to fund it.  That's life.

yup here too.

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:48 PM

Working on a Porter Cable and a Bready simultaneously, two is the most I will tackle per year, but it is fun when your waiting on parts for one you work on the other . It keeps me busy I'm retired so... I have long bed Silverado that see's a lot of parts it has a tonneau cover.

Edited by HANKG, April 02, 2016 - 11:52 PM.

#7 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:57 PM

2 so far this year

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 12:18 AM

I can have many going at same time. But TIME is many things, in weeks or months or even Years!  I just got an MM big tractor and just want to get it running and checked for this summer. Will want to paint and replace things as I go, but will take couple years probly. I have two Newer PK's to make into one and might make both run if I change mind.  Last year I did 3 Speedex all at same time. When one needs extra parts or $ to finish, you can go on to next one and do a little till it's needing more than you have, then go on to next one.  Have lots of Next One's all the time in shop. I even have a couple more Speedex, but thinking now, they might be leaving as is IF any interest at swaps this year.

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:56 AM

I can have two or three or even four projects going at one time, sometimes they are gt's sometimes they are house.  you know how it is, work on what I can when I can as long as the money holds out.  only ever restored one tractor at a time then it is fixing and keeping others running.

Pete

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:39 AM

I would have to say "0" as I don't do any restoration.  Refurbish would be more in line.  Try to stay with one project item at a time as the shop is not big enough for more.  I may have several projects going at any one time, like a machine in the shop, RR building in the basement shop, garden work, or house project but try to finish a shop project before I start another one.  Right now a Cat 1  3 point boom is being changed over to a Cat 0.  Mowers are all ready to go, strip in the garden is tilled for potato planting Monday, and today the granddaughter is here and and a cup race is on TV.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:41 AM

I can only handle one per year my self.

It would get pretty tricky keeping all those parts seperate from machine to machine!

#12 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:22 AM

I only ever do one project at a time.  Multiple projects creates too much clutter for me. Start one project and complete it then move on to the next. Its easy to bring projects home that will never get completed, I see those yards frequently. 

Edited by Jazz, April 03, 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Troy, I think there is a trophy for most restorations going on at one time.

Unfortunately it does not come cut out, assembled, or painted
So add that to your list too.
  • limebuzz, johndeereelfman and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:14 PM

Keep good documentation and lots of pictures. I think it's doable. I myself would try no more than 2 due to space issues. 

As far as space goes for painting things, do you have enough room to hang them all in the garage? how about a small temporary shed , say greenhouse size?? right next to the side of garage. Maybe tell the misses she can have it for flowers when you're done . 

Good luck , Tom

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:28 AM

How about years per restoration?? Do negative numbers count?

I'm with ya brother.

Massey MF1855 has been down for 3 1/2 yrs, been restoring my Sears ST16 for 4 yrs. Haven't even started on the 68 SS12 I've had since 2006 or 7 and I have a motor for my AC HB212 that needs installed that's been sitting on tractor for over a year.  

• DougT and johndeereelfman have said thanks