• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • Member No: 82060
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:11 PM

Here is the Murray. My Grandpa gave it to me last summer. He also has another in his shed I can use to rob parts from. Wheels are 9", no bolts. They sit on a keyed shaft and held on be a C clip.

uploadfromtaptalk1460069948477.jpg
  • Oldford said thank you

#32 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Looks beefy enough to last for a while.

Here are some ideas of old machines that have front and rear attachments.  Prices look kind of high out there but they include decks...

Ingersoll (formerly Case)

http://northernwi.cr...5521759679.html

Bolens

http://eauclaire.cra...5525282275.html

Deere

http://wausau.craigs...5489188695.html

There are other brands, i am more familiar with these b/c i need hydraulic lift and no clutch.  If you have good knees and back can get a manual machine a lot cheaper.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#33 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 762 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 02:59 AM

Looks beefy enough to last for a while.

Here are some ideas of old machines that have front and rear attachments.  Prices look kind of high out there but they include decks...

Ingersoll (formerly Case)

http://northernwi.cr...5521759679.html

Bolens

http://eauclaire.cra...5525282275.html

Deere

http://wausau.craigs...5489188695.html

There are other brands, i am more familiar with these b/c i need hydraulic lift and no clutch.  If you have good knees and back can get a manual machine a lot cheaper.

The Murray may or may not be good enough depending on the hill he has, and how smooth his yard is. When I bought my house I was given a yard machine lawn tractor with a bad rear axle. It was the same size as the Murray. I went through the whole tractor and replaced the rear axle. I got on it and mowed my grass 1 time and put it for sale. I have always mowed with Bolens tube frames, or another brand GT. That yard machine felt like it was gonna rattle apart and was very uncomfortable over my rougher lawn.  It also wasn't good on the hill I have in my back yard.  I knew if I kept using it, I'd destroy the little thing, and I would be constantly fixing it. So for my land I feel I at least need a quality GT to mow. I was even having trouble with a GT on my hill during wet conditions, and I had several uses for a FEL, so I now own a 4x4 sub compact for those features. To me those Murrays, yard machines,  MTD built Bolens, Ariens, big box store tractors, or anything classified as a lawn tractor are made for smooth lawns, smaller yards(1 acre or less), light yard work or trailer towing. Personally if it was me, I'd clean that little Murray up, List it on Craigslist, Hope to get $350 out of it, and turn that money into a decent tube frame Bolens with deck, blower, tiller,  chains and weights. I've bought several Bolens in that price range, and they came with that many attachments. YES, they will need some kind of tinkering, But once everything on it is all sorted out. You should have a quality machine that can handle a ton more work than the Murray.  Or just take the money from the Murray and add it to your current Budget which puts you into a better place to buy a newer GT with less hours, some attachments, and modern day features. But I always like to have more than 1 tractor. Its just more fun! :thumbs:  I do also agree that those tractors listed above seem a bit pricey for the condition they are in. Out of the ones listed, I'd lean towards the case/ingersoll if I had to pick one. :D

Edited by fonz3482, April 08, 2016 - 03:04 AM.

• Oldford and christian.savard8 have said thanks

#34 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'll have to get a picture of the hill. It KS fairly steep though. The yard isn't overly rough.

I was looking at that Case the other night. Looks like a great machine. Compared to the Murray that thing could probably dig the devil out of hell.

Is there something out there to give guidelines on price? Some kind of blue book?

Edited by jrbublitz1, April 08, 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#35 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Condition usually has quite a bit to do with the price

#36 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:01 PM

Also location.  Those 3 i linked above would list for 500 less in maine, which seems to be higher than ny or the midwest.  not sure why they are so high in WI.

Maybe if you find a machine near you could ask here about it.  I just did that on an old Bolens i bought.  Meanwhile keep looking on cl etc near you if something looks interesting google it or search here and learn up on the strength & weakness of each brand.  then you can recognize a good deal if you need to move quick, good luck

#37 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:06 PM

The Murray may or may not be good enough depending on the hill he has, and how smooth his yard is.  :D

Yeah i was trying to be positive seeing how he got it from his grampa and a parts machine.  Older murrays had a good reputation though.  Maybe if he got an old GT he could use that to mow the hill and use the Murray on the flats, save wear and tear on his ground engaging tractor, lots of options.  so many tractors so little time, good luck

• limebuzz and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#38 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 04:54 PM

No offense taken. I wasn't expecting to use it to much and have been looking for something better suited for our use since last summer.

Here is the steepest part of the hill. I think you can get a sense of it here.
uploadfromtaptalk1460238847931.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1460238856513.jpg

#39 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 342 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted April 09, 2016 - 05:27 PM

You need a Bolens Large Frame!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk