• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • Member No: 82060
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:57 PM

I appreciate the input. This is the kind of discussion I was looking to have.

Though I wouldn't mind having a dedicated loader tractor, I'm not sure how practical it is at this point. And if it's more trouble than it's really worth to find a subcompact tractor that will handle a loader, maybe that's something I really shouldn't worry about. And maybe my budget isn't feasible either. But ultimately I'm looking to you guys for your experience and expertise.

#17 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Always buy more tractor than you need. It's like childrens shoes. If you buy something to suite you now you will wish you got something that "fits" better later. Spend the money now to worry less later.

• TomLGT195 and Paulgo have said thanks

#18 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 838 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Subcompacts will handle a loader.  Both Deere and Kubota sell them.  Either one new, with a mowing deck, is about 12K.  I don't know if they've been around long enough for used ones to be in the 2K range - I haven't seen one.

Some of the older garden tractors will handle a FEL.  Unless you pick up one that has the FEL you could be in for a long wait until you find the loader.  I don't know if any of them had a cat 1 hitch, some had cat 0 but there aren't any new cat 0 implements so finding attachments can be challenging.  To top it all off the PTOs are proprietary.

The only way you could be sure of putting together the whole package with an older tractor is to find it all in one sale.  If you could find it I don't think 2K would close the deal.

On the other hand, I think you could easily find a good tractor with the deck and snow blower for well below 2K.  Some of the folks here with more experience than me can probably guide you on which makes/models you could find tillers for.

Around here I routinely see the Ford 8N/9N tractors with FEL on craigslist for under $3K.  Add a box scraper and you're all set for handling the road.

#19 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,471 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:44 AM

The best thing to do with a loader is keep it on a dedicated tractor. It's OK for back blade work and such, but unless the loader is some sort of quick change, you are not going to want to mow grass with a loader. I love my front end loader, but you have to be careful or you can take out the mail box, the corner of the house, the side of the car, etc...I use my Simplicity 4041 for loader and blade work, hauling etc... But it's not good for mowing, spraying and that type of stuff. I mow with a zero turn.

• TomLGT195, Oldford and Paulgo have said thanks

#20 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 838 Thanks
  • 480 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I mow with a zero turn.

Which is the way to finish the damn lawn quick so you have more time to enjoy the tractor.

• toppop52 said thank you

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,471 Thanks
  • 3,369 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Which is the way to finish the damn lawn quick so you have more time to enjoy the tractor.

Which I did today!

#22 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Like others have stated, a nice GT with attachments, and a loader is hard to find period, let alone at your $2000 price range. It would not be easy to mow with. I have tried getting away with leaving my FEL on and mowing a few times.  With my sub compact the loader is a quick connect, I was just being kinda lazy, but when I almost took out several objects around the yard, and then you can't get close to things so you take 2x as long with the trimmer,  Its just not worth the trouble, so I'd remove it within minutes of trying. Same with using the loader with the mower deck on, Tried that a few times, and got the mower snagged on stuff, so I removed the mower. If you can live with a just a GT with mower, Blower, and roto-tiller you have several nice options to go with. It depends what is available in your area also. Where I live, there are tons of John deere tractors on Craigslist, but because its a John deere, the tractors and their attachments demand a lot of money. Me personally with your price range, and if your not scared to work and maintain an older GT, I'd look for a package deal with all the attachments(minus the loader) you want. So in one purchase you have everything at once and your ready to work.  My GT's of choice for what your describing are Bolens Large frames or tube frames, Case/Ingersoll tractors, John deere 300 or 400 series tractors. These are all very capable GT's that handle several attachments, are loader capable for the future, and will handle that long easement driveway of yours. Good luck!

#23 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:08 PM

If I did have a loader I wouldn't keep it mounted all the time for the exact reasons you guys have. Gets in the way, always bouncing around as you're driving, ect. I actually grew up on a dairy farm so I know exactly what you're talking about. But at this point I might just scratch the loader requirement.

On older GT's are the rear mounted implements hydraulic or shaft driven?

And I live in the northern part of Wisconsin.

#24 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:37 AM

It varies and depends on what brand machine you buy. I'm into Bolens tractors and their implements are shaft driven. I believe case/ingersoll are run off hydraulic ports, Gravely tractors are shaft driven, I know John Deere mower decks and blowers can be shaft driven, but I'm not sure about the rear attachments. Several brands are all belt driven. Someone more educated on multiple brands may chime in and help a bit more than I can.

#25 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I didn't see if you mentioned what state your in, I'm in PA and I frequently see old cub cadets with loaders in the $1500 range. One thing to consider about an old used loader tractor regardless of brand is that it's going to require repair work once you get it, loaders beat the snot out of GTs so be prepared to work on it once you get one.

Edited by olds45512, April 06, 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#26 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:34 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#27 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:43 PM

My wife and I bought our first house last summer and I have been keeping an eye out for a lawn tractor in about the 15 to 20 HP range.

What I can see this being used for right now would be lawn mowing, grading the easement and snow blowing. My wife wants to have a garden so a tiller may be wanted at some point. Our neighbor currently plows the driveway and the easement during the winter. I would like to take over our driveway at some point and do the easement if needed.

So my question is what do you guys recommend? I've been looking at older Deeres, Simplicities, Allises, ect. I used to be a mechanic so I'm not afraid to work on stuff.

Personally with a budget of $2k and summer coming... first I'd look for a good used AYP product (husqvarna, craftsman, etc) around $500 +/- for cutting grass.  Look for 12" back rims it should last for a while with parts cheap from sears or ebay.  

Then you have $1500 left over to pick up an older, heavy-duty garden tractor with some "ground engaging" implements and power lift in decent shape.    And all summer to get it ready for winter.   That way you save mowing wear and tear on your winter tractor.

The problem is, real garden tractors that have back hitches and tillers, cast iron rear ends, power lift etc have been out of mass production for over 20 years.   It's not practical to work a single old tractor hard year round or you will be rebuilding those old parts a lot.  A newer, cheap one for mowing, and a strong old workhorse for everything else.  Distributes the work load and therefore the cost.  Just my .02 but works for me doing it on the cheap.

I was hoping to start off with one machine to keep the long haired sheriff happy.  There are a few loader tractors in the area that can be picked up cheap.

Ones that I have been looking at so far are as old as late '70s to maybe early '90s.

I'm looking to spend at most $2000. Ones I've found so far are usually being sold with a snow blower and mower deck.

Examples of one's in the area are a Deere 318 for $800 and a Simplicity 7790 for $2400. Both come with a deck and snow blower.

What kind of tractor am I going to find a category 1 3pt?

Though I wouldn't mind having a dedicated loader tractor, I'm not sure how practical it is at this point. And if it's more trouble than it's really worth to find a subcompact tractor that will handle a loader, maybe that's something I really shouldn't worry about.

That is a good price on the Deere.  318 is one of the few GT's with power steering, also has dual front hydraulics.  downside the onan engine is thirsty and rebuilds are expensive. 

A 318 can handle a loader but a GT loader is hard to find and will cost over 1k just for the loader part.  GT's generally have weaker steering gears and front spindles than a loader is happy with. 

I don't think there is such thing as a "quick attach" loader in the GT or Garden Tractor size.  For that you need to move up to a newer (10k+) "sub compact" or SCUT size.  Or just get an old farm tractor like 8n with a loader and rear 3ph Cat 1 maybe even in your 2k budget then either a finish mower or else a cheap rider for grass cutting.

On older GT's are the rear mounted implements hydraulic or shaft driven?

All the brands are different so it comes down to what is available near you.  Case is rear hydraulic.   Other brands have shafts or belts/pulleys.  Some of the parts are rare and bidding wars on ebay.  It takes some research.  Just have your trailer ready to go if you spot a deal, meanwhile keep studying so you don't get burned, good luck

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Paulgo have said thanks

#28 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:26 PM

I should also add that currently for mowing lawn I do have an old Murray Fleet Farm special for mowing lawn so I'm not in dire need of something at the moment. It does work, but I was thinking of trying to find something heavier to handle the hill our house sits on.

So what does AYP mean?
  • Oldford said thank you

#29 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:40 PM

American Yard Products. The company has been sold out a few times. I believe they sold out to Electrolux then later Husqvarna got back on their feet and became their own brand again. Goto Sears and their tractors will be made by "Husqvarna".  The AYP was a tough brand of tractors. They made Sears Suburbans, Yard Pros, Winston Pros, Craftsman, Husqvarna and probably a whole lot more that I am forgetting. They are really good machines though.

#30 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I should also add that currently for mowing lawn I do have an old Murray Fleet Farm special for mowing lawn so I'm not in dire need of something at the moment. It does work, but I was thinking of trying to find something heavier to handle the hill our house sits on.

Murrays are fine MTD might have them now, similar to ayp, big conglomerate.  I mentioned ayp/electrolux b/c searsonline is a good source for parts, with normal wear items cheap on ebay.  

Post up a pic of your Murray!  Does it have 12" 5-bolt back rims?  If so it should be fine on your hill and not break, like this one, could handle weights if needed

attachment-1.jpg

Just an example i bought one of those for $400 in great shape, sold it 5 years ago still going strong, hills and all.

Lot of guys have a single garden tractor with a deck in summer and blower in winter.  Even more have 2 tractors, winter and summer.  Now would be a good time to get a deal on an old heavy-duty blower tractor esp if it didn't have a deck, most people are looking for mower decks in spring.  For 1500 you should be able to find one with a rear hitch, tiller, etc..

post up a pic of your Murray!

• Paulgo said thank you