38 replies to this topic

#1 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • Member No: 82060
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:00 PM

Well sort of anyway.

My wife and I bought our first house last summer and I have been keeping an eye out for a lawn tractor in about the 15 to 20 HP range. Our property is just over 1.5 acres total and probably an acre at most that is mowed. The house is on an easement road that is about 1300 ft, half being gravel, the other pavement. Our driveway is 50 ft.

Requirements that I have include:
-mower deck
-rear lift for back blade
-front end loader capable
-rear PTO

What I can see this being used for right now would be lawn mowing, grading the easement and snow blowing. My wife wants to have a garden so a tiller may be wanted at some point. Our neighbor currently plows the driveway and the easement during the winter. I would like to take over our driveway at some point and do the easement if needed.

So my question is what do you guys recommend? I've been looking at older Deeres, Simplicities, Allises, ect. I used to be a mechanic so I'm not afraid to work on stuff.
  • Oldford and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:39 PM

I would look around locally and see what is for sale, I personally have been using an allis b-10 for years and love it, have lots of attachments and there are more available including front end loader tiller grader blade ect.  some of the attachments are really hard to find.  Look around locally and see what is available or common and go from there.

Pete

• boyscout862, Oldford and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:42 PM

1st of all, :welcometogttalk:

You need a "Garden" tractor or a "Sub-Compact" tractor, not a "Lawn" tractor!

• boyscout862, Oldford, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:49 PM

1st of all, :welcometogttalk:

And you need at least three..... :D  :D    :welcome:

• boyscout862, Bolens800uk and AA Hayes have said thanks

#5 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:51 PM

I'm not sure a modern garden tractor will do the things he wants either.

If you want new I think you're going to be into at least a sub-compact.

Edited by MiCarl, April 02, 2016 - 07:51 PM.

• boyscout862, propane1 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#6 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:54 PM

How new/old are you looking for. You can find all sorts of tractors that meet all requirements in a lot of different age groups. I use Ariens S-16H, hydro transmission would be something I would look at vs gear drive especially for snow blowing
  • boyscout862 and petrj6 have said thanks

#7 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Here is an option to think about

you might be able to get a full tractor with a FEL and back blade a lot cheaper, then also get a garden tractor to mow with.

For a full size tractor I am think about the size of  Ford 8n or IH "H" or "M" or something in the size,

For a garden tractor a JD 200 series or 300 series for mowing

Check Craigslist in your area and talk to your new neighbor what is available in your area.

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. As shown above you have alot of options. You also seem to be headed in the right direction with the brands that you named. You are probably best off looking at what quality GT was popular in your area. Keep your eyes on CL and along the road. Checkout our Manuals Section for the info you need. I recommend the Briggs and Stratten Repairmans Manual as a good guide to small engine repair and the tools that you may need. Good Luck, Rick

BTW Garden Tractors are heavy duty. Lawn Tractors are much lighter duty.

Edited by boyscout862, April 02, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

• lyall, TomLGT195, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 01:42 AM

one is seldom enough

:welcometogttalk:

• lyall, boyscout862, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#10 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 990 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Sounds to me like you need two of them . One set up for Mowing and garden duty and another for heavier grading and plowing . It would mean a lot less attachment swapping . Also you will spend a lot more time overall in the seat of the mower so comfort would be considered.  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Don't rule out the Kubota in the compact line.  Very good machines and have about everything available you may need or want.  In this area  good used deck is an inexpensive item to pick up.  Dealers don't want them.  All loader mfg.s make a mount for them so you have a lot of choices to go there.  About any of the Category 1  3 point equipment and be modified to the Category 0 as long as keep in mind the size.  You don't want an 8' blade behind a compact but a blue wrench will take care of that.  Etc. Etc.

#12 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:01 AM

Setting a budget for every thing and knowing how old or new of a machine you are willing to tinker with will set nice guidelines.
  • Oldford said thank you

#13 jrbublitz1 ONLINE  

jrbublitz1
  • Member No: 82060
  • 10 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I was hoping to start off with one machine to keep the long haired sheriff happy. But yes, I have though of that also. There are a few loader tractors in the area that can be picked up cheap.

Ones that I have been looking at so far are as old as late '70s to maybe early '90s.

I'm looking to spend at most $2000. Ones I've found so far are usually being sold with a snow blower and mower deck.

Examples of one's in the area are a Deere 318 for $800 and a Simplicity 7790 for $2400. Both come with a deck and snow blower.

What kind of tractor am I going to find a category 1 3pt?

Not partial to gas or diesel.

Edited by jrbublitz1, April 03, 2016 - 09:04 AM.

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Most gt's have their own style hitch on the back, if you are looking for something smaller like a gt you would want to find something with a sleeve hitch to accept most brinly style attachments.  the allis 7790 seems like a good choice you would just need to find the adapter for a sleeve hitch, most of the allis simplicity attachments are all interchangeable thru the years and there are lots of them available, plus they are usually pretty easy to swap back and forth.

I think the simplicity for $2400 is a bit steep, don't know much about the john deere's never owned one.  the only trouble I can see is finding a FEL (front end loader ) for any gt, they can be hard to find and expensive when you do find them.  Keep looking and find what you like that is the first step.

Pete

• boyscout862 said thank you

#15 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:54 PM

I'm looking to spend at most $2000.

I don't think you're going to have much luck finding a tractor with the 3pt., rear PTO and mower for that money.  Plus it's got to be FEL capable and then when you need one they can be hard to find.

You don't say where you are but my guess is mowing is going to be your most immediate need.  You might look for a garden tractor with a good mower and snowblower to cover you for the nearer future.  Then save your pennies and keep your eyes open for a small farm tractor with FEL for your other needs.

Not only will this probably be less money overall you spread the expense out.  Plus, you can get a beefy tractor for the street and ground engaging work that is too big to comfortably mow your small area with.

Edited by MiCarl, April 03, 2016 - 05:58 PM.