• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:57 AM

Well, some time ago, Dan asked about the neighborhood I live in.  After some delays both personal and technology related, here are some images.  First our place.  

From the road.

Ourhouse 2.JPG

From the top of the large ridge behind us.

Ourhouse 1.JPG

We live in Central Alberta in what is known as the Parklands.  

Typically rolling land with lots of springs and sloughs.  Lots of small <30 acre bush patches of primarily poplar, but patches of black poplar Birch, and willow in low wet areas.  Water quality varies widely from barely drinkable weak brines with iron bacteria from wells  to pristine spring water.

Major industries mixed farming and Oil & Gas.  In fact, the big ridge behind us is a surface reflection of a big reef structure that has been producing sour oil for 50 years.  That play is nearly depleted now, but there is other petroleum elsewhere in the vertical column below us.  I can see 6 wellheads from my yard producing sweet gas, sweet oil, and sour oil (contains hydrogen sulfide).  I can also see a processing facility that has been in production since the 60s.

From the top of the ridge behind us we can see for as much as 25 miles.  We can clearly see the Rockies almost 100 miles to the West,

Ridgetop 1.JPG

Ridgetop2.JPG

Ridgetop 3.JPG

Ridgetop 4.JPG

• limebuzz, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Where is the snow? I thought that you were in "The Great White North"? The area looks nice but the water sounds like it can be frustrating if it isn't clean. Good Luck, Rick

• camdigger said thank you

#3 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:01 PM

The snow has been gone for some time now. All that is left is a few drifts on the north side of things. From what I see last winter was one of the milder ones. This spring is a bit warmer too.

There is a history here of spring storms right to June 1, so anything can happen yet.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,949 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Wow, big open areas.

#5 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 06:34 PM

Where is the snow? I thought that you were in "The Great White North"? The area looks nice but the water sounds like it can be frustrating if it isn't clean. Good Luck, Rick

Whoa! I always thought that "the great white north" was exactly that with nothing but trees?? Looks more like the Midwestern USA. Pretty flat and no trees!! What gives?

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Very nice place! How far do you have do drive for a gal of milk?

I remember flying over Canada and I was astonished at how many ponds and bodies of water that are scattered all over.

#7 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Whoa! I always thought that "the great white north" was exactly that with nothing but trees?? Looks more like the Midwestern USA. Pretty flat and no trees!! What gives?

Hahahaha! Even the arctic circle has areas that do not have snow year round....

FYI, Alberta has the most diversified geography of all the Canadian provinces and territories and likely most of the States. Semi arid plains in the SE, a spectacular snow capped mountain range in the West, vast rolling Parklands, evergreen forest, boreal forest (aspen and the like), wild, rough hill country, sub arctic tundra, huge muskegs and swamps overlaying the Canadian Shield. Basically, Alberta is part of the transition area from the agriculturally viable area to the unproductive forest area to the north. Average growing season from 110 days in the south to as little as 90 frost free days in the Peace River region.

Alberta is also the western side of the Canadian Prairie breadbasket known as the Prairies that run from the base of the Rocky Mountains to the Ontario border.
  • IamSherwood, boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks