#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,022 Thanks
  • 2,728 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:26 AM

Today was supposed to be garden tilling day. Last night we got another inch of snow and they say we re expecting about another 4 or 5 inches by Sunday night. Spring just can't seem to make up its mind if it wants to arrive or stay or stay away. Soon as it does I will till the garden and get it ready. Going to have about 5 yards of old dried cow manure dumped on it as soon as I get the opening till done on it this year. Pictures as soon as I do. Hope you all have a great weekend. Here is a picture of a couple of years ago tilling. Roger

DSCF4148.JPG

• MH81, Alc, chris m and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:43 AM

I was planning to till in the manure this weekend (three day weekend for me), Rain today, then chances of snow for 2 days. Then freezing temps all week! :(

On a bright note, last year we still had snow on the ground and I couldn't do anything outside. This year I have gotten a lot of work done, so I am ahead of the game for this time of year.

• Alc, hamman, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 1,108 Thanks
  • 670 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:09 AM

We have had a ridiculous amount of rain here this week. I was hoping to get manure on the garden this weekend, but it is just too muddy out there right now. It is supposed to get colder here as well and maybe snow. If the ground freezes, I can at least get the manure spread, if we don't end up with a pile of snow. We need probably a good week of no rain here before things will be dry enough to till or plow.

Jim

• Alc, hamman and chris m have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,328 Thanks
  • 3,632 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:56 AM

No plowin or tillin here. To wet. Temperature is coming up some, so that's a good sign.

Noel
  • Alc and hamman have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,529 Thanks
  • 5,317 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:31 AM

I put the manure on in the fall and plow it under.  That way it can break down and leach into the soil before spring.  Neutriants are there and ready for the crops.  I tilled a place this morning for the potatoes.  Tractor tiller quit so had to go to the old faithful BCS.  It does a much better job than the Bolens tiller anyway. Tines turn about 3 times faster and really grinds the soil up nice.  Most tillers turn to slow and kind of like an old plow horse, just plug along.

• Alc, hamman and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,162 Thanks
  • 2,239 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I snuck my tilling in a couple weeks back.  Been much too wet since to consider more.  I'm hoping to see things warm up and dry out before mid April, so I can do some plowing with the local boys!

• Alc, hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 6,022 Thanks
  • 2,728 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 12:23 PM

Well that was weird, I replied to a couple of posts on this entered it and it all went away????  Anyway, I didn't get the manure down last fall because the snow came and then i got sick. As for getting the tilling done a few weeks ago while it was warm the garden was still full of snow.  I guess a couple of weeks late won't be bad.

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Roger

• chris m, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,315 Thanks
  • 4,047 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Well that was weird, I replied to a couple of posts on this entered it and it all went away????  Anyway, I didn't get the manure down last fall because the snow came and then i got sick. As for getting the tilling done a few weeks ago while it was warm the garden was still full of snow.  I guess a couple of weeks late won't be bad.

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Roger

It will be good, last year we couldn't even plant anything till the last week of April. And our gardens where better than ever,the peas even went longer than normal.

• hamman said thank you

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,419 Thanks
  • 4,581 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Our garden is way too wet yet to think of tilling. I did run a cultivater through it to break it up some, hoping it helps to dry.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,736 Thanks
  • 3,332 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Yeah the weather is a bit rough this year, I started getting things ready in my little greenhouse just yesterday, only to have it be freezing cold, wind blowing hard and snowing!! Crazy i tell ya crazy!! But we are still on schedule, here in NewEgland you best wait until memorial day or your flirting with disaster!! I love flirting !!:;-)
  • hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 6,022 Thanks
  • 2,728 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Got some seat time this morning on the neighbors Kubota. Not tilling but plowing another 8" of that wonderful white stuff called snow. Not bad but at 27* it's a little cold. Plow truck is done for the winter and it wasn't good enough snow for the Jacobsen and blower. (Very wet and really heavy) Decided it was time to just use the tractor with bucket and plow attached. Plowed the elderly neighbors and then mine and the neighbor I borrowed the tractor from. Sure hope the storm they are talking about mid week is not more snow. Sure could use the grass to green up and be able to get the boat out cleaned and ready for fishing. Just put the ice fishing stuff away for the summer. LOL.  Have a great week.                                                                                                                                           Roger.

• propane1 said thank you

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,328 Thanks
  • 3,632 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:27 PM

Back to winter here. -10c with -20c wind chill. Windy. Not warming up some until the weekend. This weather keeps up, it will be May until any ground diggin gets done.

Noel
  • hamman said thank you

#13 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 620 Thanks
  • 381 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:41 PM

The only work my garden is getting at the moment, or many to come is by chickens.  I pen'd 5 in the garden to start turning soil/leaves/last years grass/last years coup straw and chicken manure.  I hope the fresh manure being deposited does not make my soil too hot.

• propane1 said thank you

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 7,529 Thanks
  • 5,317 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:04 AM

More garden in yesterday.  Put in a row of peas.  So far have radish, potatoes, lettuce and peas.  Need to get the onion sets in yet, then cabbage, etc.  Talking a little chance of some rain today.  We sure need it.  If it don't rain will hook the hose up and water the area we have planted.  37°f this morning but weather people say 73° f by 4 pm.  And of course more wind.  Have had 6 straight days of wind from all directions, usually up in the 20+mph range.  This is only April so no real hurry for garden crops yet.  Ground temp is more important than air temp anyway.

Edited by chieffan, April 05, 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#15 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 915 Thanks
  • 853 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 11:25 AM

I have 6" of snow... Probably more on the way too..