25 replies to this topic

#16 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Did you put a new ignition switch in or an old one?
Maybe you solinoid switch is the problem.
You could switch that out with a known good one.
You really should have a simple voltage tester for chasing electrical problems.

Joe
  • OnlyGTs said thank you

#17 jeb2 OFFLINE  

jeb2
  • Member No: 69448
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I had similar issues with my 1811 a couple of years ago. My tractor had bad connections at the pto switch. One of the spade connections on the pto switch was loose. I was able to resolder it. A couple of the harness connections at the pto were bad/rusty/corroded. I cleaned these up and tractor started. To start the 1811 the brake pedal must be depressed and the pto switch must be pulled down(pto off). There are 2 safety switches that affect/interrupt the operation of the pto, one on the seat and one at the hydrostat lever reverse direction. Here is a wiring schematic for the 1811, hope this helps. 

John

168524.jpg

Edited by jeb2, April 05, 2016 - 09:48 AM.

• Rock farmer and OnlyGTs have said thanks

#18 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • Member No: 82046
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Brand new key switch, still nothing. I'll check pto switch next, then new solenoid...

#19 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Hadn't thought of fuse holders, will check that too...

#20 jeb2 OFFLINE  

jeb2
  • Member No: 69448
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 02:14 PM

A cheap voltmeter will really help you troubleshoot this machine. This is a fairly simple circuit to start the tractor. Set your volt meter to  volts dc. Put the black volt meter lead on tractor ground or the - battery terminal and look for +12 volts dc using the red volt meter lead while trying to start the tractor with key switch turned to start. The black wire to the key start switch at terminal B supplies +12 vdc for starting. With key switch turned to start the red wire from the key switch at terminal S supplies +12vdc to the pto switch at terminal C. If the pto switch is turned off(pulled down) +12vdc passes through normally closed contacts(terminal C and D, both are red wires} at the pto switch and goes to the brake pedal switch. If the brake pedal is depressed, the switch contacts close and +12 vdc goes to the starter solenoid on another red wire .This wire is the small wire on the solenoid, +12vdc here should cause the contacts in the solenoid to close(if solenoid is grounded) and send voltage and high current to the starter on the heavy cable. I suspect since you are having problems starting tractor and using the pto switch that your problem is at the pto switch or pto connections. Mine were really corroded and a couple of them needed replaced but the culprit could be any of the switches/components or connections. Good Luck!

John

#21 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Hopefully I can narrow it down

#22 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 11:09 AM

On a happier note, finished with the power king😀 Here are some picsimage.jpeg image.jpeg

#23 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Used a hood from a 66 suburban and attached a Deere plow. It works off the hydraulic pto

#24 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 21, 2016 - 08:38 PM

You said the safety switch wires were twisted together. Water will wick right up an open eire and create all kinds of havoc. I bet those wires are green and have white corrosion on them now. I've seen water run several feet up a wire. Twisted together doesn't mean a good connection. Check them and strip some of the insulation back. If you don't see shiny copper wires, that's at least part of your problem.

#25 OnlyGTs OFFLINE  

OnlyGTs
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:18 PM

So I finally got it moving. Finally had the time and desire to touch it after it got frustrating😤 I disconnected the connection from the pto switch to the pto and bypassed the solenoid and it fired up and ran. What does that mean?

#26 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'd say if you ended up bypassing the pto switch, then the pto switch may be bad.  Mine is actually currently unhooked and jumpered because with it connected, it won't engage the starter on my 1872.  I don't use mine for mowing though so I've just left it that way for now.