• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 994 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:25 PM

I don't do it full time , but I have to use the forklift at work a couple of times a week for about an hour to load pallets and sometimes load up a truck or unload things .

I work in the S&R area of a large chain store .

I have gotten pretty good with the thing and wouldn't mind doing it all the time .

I was thinking today while shifting stacks of pallets around -" Hmmm , is this considered 'seat time' ?"

I actually enjoy doing it !

What are your thoughts ?

forklift3.jpg

• hamman, wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Of course it counts. If you didn't enjoy it, it wouldn't count. Enjoying your work is a great bonus, but don't let the other guys know or they will want it too. Good Luck, Rick

• MGP59DB said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:53 PM

I hope it wasn't you that ran it over the edge!

• MGP59DB said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Darn Toyota's never did look behind them when backing up ! :dancingbanana:   :rolling:

• MGP59DB said thank you

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 05:44 PM

Try it for 8 hours a day five days a week in a fast paced manufacturing plant and in becomes old real fast--But what the heck if your enjoying  it --have fun. 

• wvbuzzmaster and MGP59DB have said thanks

#6 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 663 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 07:05 PM

My loving wife has bin driving a forklift a G.M. for two years and she loves it , except for the other no driving !@#$%^&* people .

Patrick.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#7 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 08:06 PM

My brother was driving for a warehouse in LA , moving hazardous materials all day . Had to be very careful . The stress actually got to him and he had to give it up.

I can see where all day every day would get old fast , so I am glad I get to do it only enough that it is still a novelty once in a while.

The whole reason I am into these GTs now is because I have always wanted to operate 'something' .

I did Navy SeaBees as a heavy equipment operator(just like John Wayne in that movie :D ) . I loved operating the FELs and Big Cats . Graders and stuff . It was always fun to me.

I am actually one of the 'trainers' at our facility for all the PLE safety first. I still like using the scissor lifts and am very good with the electric jacks and forks.  

Edited by MGP59DB, April 01, 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Operating any equipment as a job gets old to me. But for fun at home or a different project at work it is fun.
  • MGP59DB said thank you

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 09:13 PM

Have to keep them on the paved part of the drive!  I drive most of 8hr day and as noted, not as fun sometimes.  NEW drivers training are scary and some people just don't belong on them or equipment in general.  They get disqualified or move on to other jobs themselves, save Lives!  Been driving for 15yrs now.  I bet I couldn't keep up on a line job anymore, the driving stuff is getting way busier too and not as fun as it used to be. SO, I guess I have Seat Time as a living?

• MGP59DB said thank you

#10 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 06:11 AM

Have to keep them on the paved part of the drive!  I drive most of 8hr day and as noted, not as fun sometimes.  NEW drivers training are scary and some people just don't belong on them or equipment in general.  They get disqualified or move on to other jobs themselves, save Lives!  Been driving for 15yrs now.  I bet I couldn't keep up on a line job anymore, the driving stuff is getting way busier too and not as fun as it used to be. SO, I guess I have Seat Time as a living?

I know this all too well , the AsstMgrs have to be checked out on the Equip . Now take some office girl who has no clue what it is to move a ton of dirt on a pallet and has never driven something that 'steers backwards' and get them to put something up on a rack . 'Stand Clear" !

Or the new kid that says "When do I get to PLAY with the toys?"  When I feel like you understand that they are not toys , and you won't kill me. Never...

#11 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:07 PM

I did it for 8 years,12 hrs a day for 6 days a week most weeks. I loved it. But finally said it w time to move on.
  • KennyP said thank you