#1 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Found this amusing and pretty darn cool.

http://www.thespiral...11/eek-a-mouse/

thumb.php.jpg

I opened my makeshift country mailbox – an old transmission on a wooden post, the remnants of the former auto body shop that once rumbled on my property – and was met with a bit more than just my daily deliveries this a.m. A house mouse (Mus musculus) had taken residence in the space beneath the metal chambers’ cracked plastic bottom. When I reached in, I literally felt a handful of squirming fur, eliciting two small synchronous squeaks! ~ from both man and mouse. Removing the plastic bottom, I could make out his grassy bed and small, sheltered living area below. Then I caught sight of the little crit’ in the transmission’s rear chamber.

Having previously talked on my blog about how life is always communicating with us on a certain level,  if you scratch around like a good house mouse you’ll find the notion in my previous droppings (Eww! Hey now, we’re talking mice here and they are incontinent lil’ critters). Oh course,  re: our relationship to the world around us and within us, whether we choose to truly listen to and trust life is our choice, or maybe our spiritual work, in a way. When I opened the box, that mouse looked me dead in the eye and  we had a very brief, very intense exchange. Giving it (un) thought (known) later, the mouse was a nod to my establishing order and organization in my new place, keeping an attention to detail but not over-analyzing the sea change currently occurring in my life (very challenging for me, to not be overly analytical, as well as overly critical).

Later, chatting up my friend I’ve dubbed The Wizard, my teacher John, the man who  helps me decipher symbols and signs and whatnot, he responded: “Oh yeah, the mouse? The mouse was there to tell you to let go of all your… what do you call it? Your uh, when you’re deluded, you know… (I’m laughing now)  “My delusions of grandeur?” “Yes! Yes! Your J C superstar closet Messiah complex, Exactly! He was telling you to forget that, that’s crap”(house mouse crap?).” But here’s The Thing (he says Here’s The Thing often when making an important point) DO recognize that the greater vision of having a place where people can feel good and safe and uplifted and creatively express themselves is coming into being, and you can be very happy about that. But remember that now being diligent with the little things (also challenging for me) will bring the big pic into better focus. So scrutinize these situations and people and opportunities coming your way – be cool, calm down, relax, it’ll all work out.” That is so his mantra to me, always – “Relax, let go, it’s all On, man,  just start enjoying the ride son, can you!?”

Yes, yes,  I can. I can let go of being overly emotional and overly critical and dwelling on all on the serious poo I had to slog through to get Here. Where? HERE –  this wonderful, wild new clearing in the middle of my chest, in the middle of somewhere USA, where a mouse has made my mailbox his house. Hey, if it’s cool with the USPS, it’s cool with me, because it’s going to be a long, cold, and maybe now that I consider it, not-so-lonely winter. I picked up some local artisan Gouda in an exchange of grateful energy, thanking that little dude for delivering the Big Message: that what’s in store is far, far more than my tiny, fluttering  heart and mind could ever concoct. So be in Awe. And also be busy.

MOUSEHOUSE-150x150.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, April 01, 2016 - 12:25 PM.

• hamman, HDWildBill, Traill95 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 01:16 PM

Mice are cute until they've destroyed the ignition system on several tractors and used the heater in your car as a bathroom. I let the neighborhood cats have all they can catch. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer and pidjones have said thanks

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I can't believe the USPS would let you get away with having such a wonderful mail box.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 03:37 PM

My Brain Hurts trying to read this. Sounds like some Hippy stuff of olden days.  Always spiritual nonsense to explain basic simple things.  Meeses would be OUT of there and flung to ground in back if at my place.  To each his own!  And Yeah, not a standard spec mailbox for sure.

• Doxey, Diesel1050 and pidjones have said thanks

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:03 PM

I despise mice. Not afraid of them, just know how destructive they are.  I'd have the dog [or cat] ready next time I opened the box. 

Now if it was a snake,  I'd be totally OK with that.  Snakes are our friends keeping the mice under control. 
Doubt my mail-woman would go for the snake though.

:smilewink:

• boyscout862, Marty'70 and pidjones have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:35 PM

Ya someone was smoking some good stuff while writing it but it's pretty darn cool.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 01, 2016 - 04:35 PM.

• EricR said thank you

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 01:30 AM

"Peace brother, like man, that's cool". Words from my youth. No lol. here; the way I see it, if they're not hurting me, I don't hurt them. Life's lessons can be learned in many places.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:09 PM

We had an out right invasion of mice at the camp. Both cabins were full of them. Well we took out about 40 mice total. I honestly felt bad about killing them. I don't much care for killing any animals these days unless they are destructive.

The mice chewed up wiring in my pellet stove. Had to splice a lot in there.

#9 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted August 30, 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hantavirus  Is just one reason to control mice. You could be dead before you know they are hurting you. Don

• MH81 and pidjones have said thanks

#10 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted September 06, 2016 - 05:45 AM

I'm thinking mice and traps were made for each other. Without mice we would not need mouse traps, without traps we may have too many mice or fat cats. Just saying