12 replies to this topic

#1 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I don't know much about bolens hoping to get some info on this mower. 

Is this an eliminator?  Medium frame?  What is it called in bolens terms?   Any idea on the year?

It has a hydro pedal, is there a hand or "cruise" control for bumpy ground?

Will other eliminator parts fit like PTO clutch, deck blades/bearings, etc.  How much is a Pto clutch for one of these?

I believe it has a briggs model 402437 twin.  If the engine goes can i use one out of a craftsman etc, or is this one propietary to bolens?  shaft size, etc.

Any other info?  thanks for any help

bolens.jpg

#2 wurzel OFFLINE  

wurzel
  • Member No: 78672
  • 114 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:11 AM

hi both my medium frames have cruise  switch it locks the pedal 

cheers nick

• Oldford said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:45 AM

I have two Medium Frames, an H16XL and a G16XT and neither of them have a Cruise Control.  Cruise Control it used to maintain a steady ground speed over large areas of mowing, not for bumpy ground.  If your machine is a H6XT it is not a true Bolens, but a MTD built machine with the Bolens name on it.  From the decals, that is what you have.  About any motor with the same hp range and base size will work in that tractor.  Output shaft size is pretty much standard on that size engine though the length of the shaft may vary.

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#4 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 11:29 AM

It is a XL / Medium Frame Series tractor. It could be a H16XT, but the decals are typical of the later 1600 (1668). None of these tractors were ever built by MTD, they are true Bolens machines. Do you have the model number? The identity tag is located on top of the rear fender, under the seat. Unfortunately, many of the later tractors had a sticker and may have worn off. The term "Eliminator" was used for Bolens advertising campaign through the mid 1980s, which included all of their equipment including walk behind snow throwers and walk behind mowers so it does not pertain to the tractor directly.
  • LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Also, there are still lots of those tractors around so lots of parts still available through forums and craigslist, ebay etc. There is a gentleman right here in NH in the town that I live in who rebuilds the electric clutches for these tractors, a good honest guy. He's on craigslist. The tractor is a pretty beefy machine with lots of power.

• blackjackjakexxix and Oldford have said thanks

#6 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 12:15 PM

Upon looking more thoroughly at the picture you posted, the steering wheel and dash instrumentation decal would be correct for the H16XT (model 1659). It was made in 1981 and 1982. All attachments are interchangeable within the XL / Medium Frame series. This series tractor is one of the most obtainable as far as parts availability, as many hard parts are still available new.
  • Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and Oldford have said thanks

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 01:51 PM

Thanks ClassicBolens.  What are the differences between a xt and a non-xt?

I did see this about the 1659   "Original Model: Briggs 402437-0138  The opposed twin engine used in this tractor is no longer made. I am not sure if anything else could be retrofitted to it or not"   from smallenginewarehouse.com.   uh oh.

#8 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 02:03 PM

The original "XL" designation was used when this series tractors came out, primarily due to the use of the Tecumseh "XL" extended life heavy duty cast iron overhead valve engines. The "XT" came along to designate the use of the Briggs twin cylinder engine. The H16XT was replaced in 1983 with the 1600H model 1668 which is basically the same tractor, but had the updated decals and logos of the era. Also this was when "FMC" was dropped from the Bolens logo.

I'm currently working on an identification thread that will specifically cover all of these tractors. I will be posting in regards to this shortly.
  • Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 3 others have said thanks

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Also does this use a drive shaft back to the hydro?  are there rag joints or rubber mounts that need inspecting/replacing to prevent damage?

#10 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 02:17 PM

The H16XT has an automotive style, telescopic driveshaft with u-joints. Please note however that many of the original driveshafts used during this era had non serviceable / non replaceable weasler pin and block u-joints. Later replacements were fully serviceable. Regardless if a problems arises, a new driveshaft can be built using fairly common off the shelf parts.
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks

#11 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 01:18 AM

Is there any crossover between this era Bolens and the Tubeframe era Bolens?  I have a 1050, and am looking for another tractor to add to my stable so I can use all of my attachments with them.  Just wondering what to look for.

#12 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • 961 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:34 AM

Is there any crossover between this era Bolens and the Tubeframe era Bolens? I have a 1050, and am looking for another tractor to add to my stable so I can use all of my attachments with them. Just wondering what to look for.

This is a trick question, with an even trickier answer..

Yes, yes and no, no. The PTO rotation of the Tube Frame is opposite of the XL Medium Frame, so directly no they won't interchange. However, Bolens addressed this for early adopters of the XL tractors by offering kits to adapt the Tubeframe 18538 38" snow thrower and also the 18616 25" and 18618 33" tiller attachments. A model 18539 kit was required to use the 18538 on the XL. A model 18607 kit was required to use the 18616 or 18618 Tube Frame tiller on the XL. These kits came with the hardware needed to mount these attachments and also change the gearing to address the rotation. The problem though, once they were changed over to fit the XL, they no longer would work on the Tube Frame.

Forgot to add, the Tube Frame 18532 42" snow blade also will adapt to the XL using the model 18733 adapter kit.

Edited by ClassicBolens, April 02, 2016 - 11:46 AM.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, LPBolens and 4 others have said thanks

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:25 PM

I looked at it today, sticker under the seat says 1659.  The engine was replaced but i couldn't tell any difference.  I found the hydro drain, the easiest one i've seen.  No belt covers, otherwise it looks pretty complete.  The front axle has some play, didn't see the pin but it comes with the manual.

Owner was a nice old farmer, met him and his son.  We struck a deal and im going back tomorrow to pick it up.  Looks like a real solid machine, unmolested, cared for but rode hard put away wet a few times.  Said they changed the oil every year and farmers are usually good with the grease gun.

Looking forward to getting my new mower ready for the season.  Will post some pics when i get it home.  thanks for all the help figuring out what this is.  guess i will be hanging out in the bolens section more now

• ClassicBolens said thank you