6 replies to this topic

#1 BigFlash ONLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:20 PM

I recently purchased a 3 point hitch for my JD 140 h3. I have it completely disassembled for paint and polish at the moment. One the main reasons i wanted the hitch is so i can hang suit case weights on the back during the winter  months.  So to do that i'm gonna need one those A Frame drawbars. I'm looking for one that also has a fairly adjustable sleeve hitch adapter.  I plan to purchase just a standard drawbar for towing trailers. That way i can leave the hitch on basically year round unless i want to mount the tiller. 

So what do you use for pulling sleeve hitch attachments and hanging weights on your cat 0 three point?

Pictures if you have them would be awesome. 

• marladh4 said thank you

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:53 PM

I have an A-Frame with the sleeve hitch adapter on one side and a tow tab on the other. I got it from Ballard Fabrications.

http://www.ballardfa...cat0sleeve.html

Here's a pic of it on one of my Bolens:

100_4541.JPG

Since that pic was taken, I added a Hitchin' Post and mounted the ball on it.  I really like it as it has multiple uses.

http://www.powerequi...-170/i7218.html

I don't know if you would be able to hang weights on it or not. 

Personally, I don't believe in hanging weight off the rear of the tractor. It put's extra stress on your rear axle, and it tends to make your front end light.

I prefer to use Rim Guard in the tires, and wheel weights.  I have yet to need anything more than that.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 31, 2016 - 07:54 PM.

• DH1, Gtractor, limebuzz and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:38 PM

I had bought a three point A-frame with sleeve hitch part on it, but it was cheap, maybe ok for pulling a cart.  I welded on a flat bar to make it a C-channel and welded flat bar on the sleeve hitch part to make it a C-channel to fit over, then drilled holes all the way across. Just pull the two pins (pin and bolt for now) to place it center or off center. Not the easiest to adjust the two sleeve hitch screws, but not bad. At least the A-frame doesn't twist when plowing or lifting something heavy.  IMGP2457.JPG IMGP2456.JPG IMGP2455.JPG

• DH1 and ducky have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 07:27 AM

OldBuzzard, what is the purpose of the grey blocks between the tractor lift arm and the A frame, height advantage?

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#5 york0060 OFFLINE  

york0060

• Contributor
  • Member No: 748
  • 275 Thanks
  • 141 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 08:33 AM

This is what I made a couple of months ago, you cant hang any weights on it but it is handy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 pt 1.jpg
  • 3 pt 2.jpg
  • 3 pt 3.jpg

• DH1, Bud, LPBolens and 1 other said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:53 AM

OldBuzzard, what is the purpose of the grey blocks between the tractor lift arm and the A frame, height advantage?

That's a quick hitch setup.

Makes attaching 3-pt implements a breeze.

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:59 AM

I had bought a three point A-frame with sleeve hitch part on it, but it was cheap, maybe ok for pulling a cart.  I welded on a flat bar to make it a C-channel and welded flat bar on the sleeve hitch part to make it a C-channel to fit over, then drilled holes all the way across. Just pull the two pins (pin and bolt for now) to place it center or off center. Not the easiest to adjust the two sleeve hitch screws, but not bad. At least the A-frame doesn't twist when plowing or lifting something heavy.  attachicon.gifIMGP2457.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP2456.JPGattachicon.gifIMGP2455.JPG

I really like that hitch Bud. Lots of easy adjustments.

• Bud and michael.kitko have said thanks