7 replies to this topic

#1 Good2beAllis OFFLINE  

Good2beAllis
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 80639
  • 63 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Just curious, If I install a gear reduction equipped engine on one of my tractors ( Allis b10) what will happen? Will it just slow it down, will it increase the torque, will it do both , will it do little for torque, will the bvb or trans have any repercussions

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 01:28 PM

This may be a dumb response because I'm not familiar with the tractor, but....doesn't that drive from the flywheel side? If so, it wouldn't make any difference. If you can drive it from the output side, it would reduce speed and maybe increase the torque some. It would be capable of pulling more because of the extra reduction. The reduction output doesn't come out the same spot as the normal crank so the mounting would have to change some too.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Would it change direction of the output shaft ??

Noel
  • Good2beAllis said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 02:49 PM

If you have a good running engine in a B10, don't try to change that. The way to reduce speed and increase torque is with a reducer pulley set on the bevel gear box(BGB) and the transaxle. The reducer set (or two speed set) was available on later models but I'm not sure for the B10(I have three B10 series but none have the two speed pulley set). Check out our manuals for what you want. The easiest option would be to find a smaller pulley for the BGB or a bigger pulley for the transaxle. Good Luck, Rick

BTW the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked.

Edited by boyscout862, March 31, 2016 - 02:51 PM.

• TomLGT195, Bolens800uk and Good2beAllis have said thanks

#5 Good2beAllis OFFLINE  

Good2beAllis
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 63 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 03:02 PM

Ok I appreciate the comments, but the topic is already changing from "what would happen " too " here is the way you should do it" .

So, let's change this to : if I was building a homemade garden tractor, what would using a gear reduction motor do :

- would it just slow down the tractor ...( this thing is slow as crap)
- would it increase torque in direct correlation to the respective gear ratio....( this thing is a pulling monster)
- would it both increase torque + slow down the tractor ( this thing is a pulling monster...but wow I can walk backwards faster)
- or make little change ( or this did little but it's different)

Ultimately I'm just looking for something different that at a show people would think is cool.

Edited by Good2beAllis, March 31, 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 03:15 PM

- IT would slow it down. Most gear reducers are about 6 to 1 so the speed would be 1/6th with the reducer.

- Yes

- Yes

- No

The top speed in 3rd gear should be about 5 mph. If you want speed, put a bigger pulley on the BGB or a smaller pulley on the transaxle. I hope that this answers your questions. The B10 is a great tractor. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#7 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Speed of the gear reduction drive would be the engine speed divided by the gear reduction ratio.  If engine speed is 3600 rpm and the gear ratio of the reduction drive is 6:1, then the gear reduction output would spin at 3600/6=600 rpm.

At the same time, the torque of the gear reduction output shaft would be 6 times the torque of the crankshaft of an engine without the gear reduction.

This ignores some gear windage losses of having the gear reduction gearbox (basically there are friction losses with the gear reduction gears and bearings -- minimal.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#8 Good2beAllis OFFLINE  

Good2beAllis
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 63 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Thanks guys this does answer my questions. I don't think my b10 will get this treatment but I may have another tractor going slower than grandma in the near future...lol