• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 05:51 PM

I got the Cub home today. Actually my buddy brought it up for me. I am really glad I ended up getting it. I have always liked the Cubs but the Massey 12 I have now happened to be my first gt and I really like the way they look also. My liking for the Cubs is starting to grow even more now, so I guess I will become a yellow and red kind of guy.

The 125 has the auxiliary hydraulic lift which I don't think the seller realized it was a separate unit. He put a new dash tin on, new tri rib tires on the front, all new deck spindles and bearings, had the seat upholstered, new/used grill screen. The only thing is it has a 10hp Kohler instead of the 12hp it should have, I guess the original motor blew and was replaced with the 10hp which to me is no big deal as I would like to put a 12 or 14 on it then when I find one. The steering is pretty tight, the hydro works great, although I think the linkage needs adjusted and/or some slop needs to be taken out of the linkage. The auxiliary hydro lift works excellent.

The tractor mainly needs a bath but when I get to pressure washing it I will be tearing it down and sandblasting everything. The fenders have minor little dents which I should be able to straighten pretty easy. The guy also put nos rear fender reflectors on it.

Since he has the tri ribs up front I really want to put a set of ags on the back. It has 23 x 8.5 x 12 on there now and I am guessing 23 x 10.5 x 12 super lugs will fit them rims. I haven't experimented much with tires yet so my knowledge in that aspect is slim.

Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1305..jpg
  • DSC_1304..jpg
  • DSC_1307..jpg
  • DSC_1301..jpg
  • DSC_1306..jpg

• bleustreak said thank you

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 06:00 PM

Looks good.

#3 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 06:57 PM

Looks like it was meant to be there. Must be destiny. I don't think you can squeeze a 14 horse in that narrow frame though. I think the wide frame came about in order to support the 14 and 16 hp engines so you may have to settle on a 12. However, I'd do a little more research past my humble knowledge.

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Looks great George! Having the dash and seat, already replaced, will make it a simpler job of restoring/refurbishing. We have the same tire problem... reversed. You have ags in front, turfs in back. My Wheel Horse has ags in back, turfs in front.

That's a good looking tractor line-up in the yard there! :thumbs:

#5 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted March 21, 2010 - 04:47 PM

Still no Cub 147 in the registry. Come on! Did you get it? You know you'll want an original now. You can't have a Cub collection without one.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2010 - 05:09 PM

I almost did have an original. It was two hours away and I probably should have gotten it. I have the 147 home. I am going to post pics in another thread and put it in the registry.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 21, 2010 - 07:04 PM

That's a nice lookin' one.

#8 ACecil OFFLINE  

ACecil

• Member No: 412
  • 406 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 12:00 PM

That's a cool looking 125, George.

#9 dyt4000 OFFLINE  

dyt4000

• Contributor
  • Member No: 405
  • 17 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted May 05, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Nice score on the hydraulic lift! :thumbs:

#10 lbower OFFLINE  

lbower

• Member No: 850
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Nice CC George. I'm new to the forum and also from PA. I just bought my first CC last w/end and it's also a 125. I used it yesterday for the first time and it cut like a dream, but I need to get used to the hydro and it's wide turning radius. Anyway, I found this website and your post tonight. Any idea where your 125s previous owner found the new dash tin? Also my 125 does not have the hydraulic lift, what exactly is it used for? Thanks for any info you can provide.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Welcome to GTtalk lb. The hydraulic lift will lift any implement or mower deck, same as what the lift handle would.

I actually sold my 125 as I needed to make room for the Massey 1655 I bought. I just didn't have the room and I have been after a 1655/1855 for a while now and I found one and needed the room so something had to go. I really did like it while I had it, and it did a good job cutting the grass too. There were some things that needed adjusted on it a little more and it had a 10hp Kohler in it instead of the 12 that was supposed to be in it so it was lacking a little power.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:27 PM

lbower:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.

#13 lbower OFFLINE  

lbower

• Member No: 850
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 09:33 PM

Sorry to hear the 125 is gone already, but I fully understand the need for space issue. Anyway, I'll definitely look into the retailers you mentioned. All in all the 125 I just bought is in good shape, but the dash tin has taken a beating. I'd love to tear down the 125, clean it up and paint it entirely with a fresh coat. A new dash tin, decals and seat/seat cover would finish it off. I will try to post pics of the 125 maybe this coming weekend. Again thanks for the info, welcome, and you too Maynard for the welcome.