• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 popsjohn OFFLINE  

popsjohn
  • Member No: 81990
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:00 AM

I recently acquired a Mackissic sc 138 chipper/shredder at an auction.  It has a Briggs and Stratton 16HP V-Twin OHV Vanguard engine.  I discovered gasoline in the crankcase when I changed the oil. Determined that the problem is with the carburetor and have ordered a rebuild kit.  It is relatively easy to remove the gas tank to gain access to the top of the carburetor.  What my problem is being able to get access to remove the carburetor.  My question is, can the carburetor be rebuilt without removing it from the engine?

Popsjohn

• Chopperhed and mitchellkv69 have said thanks

#2 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Always best to remove carb from engine and give good cleaning while rebuilding.  Very little can be do with carb installed on engine.

• Chopperhed and popsjohn have said thanks

#3 popsjohn OFFLINE  

popsjohn
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the quick response.  I know it would be best to remove the carburetor but I have not figured out how to get access to the two bolts that mount it to the engine.  Seems like I will have to remove quite a few pieces first.  Trying to avoid that if job could be done without removal of carb.

• James Bosma said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. Download the Briggs and Straton Manuals that you need from our Manuals Section(they are free). The Repairmans Manual has a good troubleshooting section and has step by step rebuilding instructions. When you have specific questions, post some clear pics to help explain the problem, As I recall, some of those carbs are just a pain. Some of them have slotted bolt heads for using a screw driver because you can't get a socket nor wrench in there. Good Luck, Rick

• HANKG, James Bosma and popsjohn have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Just two bolts either up on block at intake, or down farther on that intake tube for actual top of carb. Might be nuts there. Just have to watch the governor lines on back and throttle linkages and maybe a small tin cover or mount for these items that could have small bolts to block or base?? Keeping the choke and throttle and gov links staight and in good shape is hardest part.  Most of them have delicate springs over them and poking into same holes as the rods or in lttle flat spots on rod with a hole for springs.  ON Briggs like these you can't just take those four bolts out of top of carb and remove bowl. You FIRST have to remove the main jet below on bowl, then reach in there with Good Fitting screwdriver to remove the main jet tube out of the bowl, THEN can take off four screws to split carb open. If you don't do that, you can't pull these parts apart and if you force, will bend or break that main jet tube and it will never work again.  As said, get manuals first, read the way to do, then keep it handy as you go when removing it.

• popsjohn said thank you

#6 popsjohn OFFLINE  

popsjohn
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:08 PM

I ended up taking the shroud that covers the flywheel off and then was able to remove the intake manifold and carb as a unit.  I will now be able to get to the bolts holding the carb to the intake manual.  Carb rebuild kit should arrive tomorrow.

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Welcome aboard, lots of nice people here willing to help enjoy the site.

#8 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Make sure it isn't warped where the two half join or it will leak and flood and won't run right

#9 popsjohn OFFLINE  

popsjohn
  • 9 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted April 07, 2016 - 08:55 AM

I successfully rebuilt the carburetor. Starts right up and runs great. The initial problem was gasoline in the crankcase. I believe the problem was the float adjustment causing gasoline to flood the carb and get into the crankcase via the crankcase breather. I will change the oil again to be sure all the gasoline contamination is removed.

John

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: briggs & stratton, mackissic, carburetor rebuild, chipper/shredder