• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LTM OFFLINE  

LTM
  • Member No: 54627
  • 9 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 03:23 AM

I joined this forum a year ago or so and read posts periodically but not faithfully since I bought a 1990 Craftsman model number 917254450.  It does not have a deck, needs started by jumping the solenoid, and the steering slips (needs new bushings).  Reading several of the posts, I see members with the same serial number but they call the model something different.  One person called it a LGT another a GT 6000.  Yet another person said that they did not even consider this a garden tractor. They thought the trans-axle was too weak to handle ground engaging implements The cover of the  owners manual on Sears Parts Direct says Garden Tractor.  Can anyone tell me why it is called many different names?

I also have a 15.5 HP 42 inch lawn tractor that mows great. The Garden Tractor was to tow my 8 hp sears tiller.  However, it seems to be a fairly rare breed and some parts are hard if not impossible to find if discontinued by sears.  So I am looking to buy a Green Craftsman model 917272950 (getting it today) that has a deck and should be able to put my sleeve hitch and tiller on it.  I don't have room for both tractors and sadly the GT sit out in the elements.  I plan to sell the two I currently have.  Taking the deck off and putting it on may be a pain but I need to down size.  Can anyone tell me if the one I plan to get should handle both mowing and tilling well?

Edited by LTM, March 31, 2016 - 03:27 AM.

• larrybl, MH81, camillefo16 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:02 AM

First question, does it have 8" or 12+" rear rims?

This may also help:
http://gardentractor...i.html/_/gt-r21

Be sure to click on associated link terms.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:53 AM

Do the rear rims bolt on or do they have a single hole for axle?

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:05 AM

I joined this forum a year ago or so and read posts periodically but not faithfully since I bought a 1990 Craftsman model number 917254450.  It does not have a deck, needs started by jumping the solenoid, and the steering slips (needs new bushings).  Reading several of the posts, I see members with the same serial number but they call the model something different.  One person called it a LGT another a GT 6000.  Yet another person said that they did not even consider this a garden tractor. They thought the trans-axle was too weak to handle ground engaging implements The cover of the  owners manual on Sears Parts Direct says Garden Tractor.  Can anyone tell me why it is called many different names?

I also have a 15.5 HP 42 inch lawn tractor that mows great. The Garden Tractor was to tow my 8 hp sears tiller.  However, it seems to be a fairly rare breed and some parts are hard if not impossible to find if discontinued by sears.  So I am looking to buy a Green Craftsman model 917272950 (getting it today) that has a deck and should be able to put my sleeve hitch and tiller on it.  I don't have room for both tractors and sadly the GT sit out in the elements.  I plan to sell the two I currently have.  Taking the deck off and putting it on may be a pain but I need to down size.  Can anyone tell me if the one I plan to get should handle both mowing and tilling well?

Welcome, I have the same Model 917.254450 (Known as RED) It is a LGT, 12" rear rims but a keyed axle. 6 speed pearliss 6" front rims, and the 18 Briggs Verticle opposed engine. It is not for ground enguagement implements, but can tow a small trailer. The steering sector is the weak spot, it uses nylon bushings and a nylon "T" adapter, good news is all of the steering parts are still available, bad news is the steering needs to be rebuilt (bushings replaced) about every 3 years, could be from mowing 3+ acres on my part. Other than that RED has been a reliable machine. I can't speak for the 917.272950, I would have to download the manual,

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:32 AM

My 1992 AYP Wizard had keyed axles, a heavy duty Peerless 5 speed, a factory integral sleeve hitch and had been used all it's life for ground engaging jobs, as well as mowing. It originally had 23/9.50/12 tires on it. The axles were the same size as the 5 bolt units on another tractor. It said "Garden Tractor" on the hood and had a list of ground engaging attachments that were available for it in the owner's manual. I could have slid 5 lug hubs on the axles, but so what? I think way too much is made of using keyed wheels vs bolt on, when the axles are the same size. Granted it wasn't as heavy as my Deutz Allis, MF 1855 or Simplicity 4041, but it worked fine.

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 11:42 AM

My 1992 AYP Wizard had keyed axles, a heavy duty Peerless 5 speed, a factory integral sleeve hitch and had been used all it's life for ground engaging jobs, as well as mowing. It originally had 23/9.50/12 tires on it. The axles were the same size as the 5 bolt units on another tractor. It said "Garden Tractor" on the hood and had a list of ground engaging attachments that were available for it in the owner's manual. I could have slid 5 lug hubs on the axles, but so what? I think way too much is made of using keyed wheels vs bolt on, when the axles are the same size. Granted it wasn't as heavy as my Deutz Allis, MF 1855 or Simplicity 4041, but it worked fine.

The rear plate on the 917.254450 is very thin, you can add a 1-7/8 ball, but any toung weight on the trailer will bend the plate. It has the light duty 6 speed. The rear plate only has bolt openings for a bagger.  

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 11:47 AM

The rear plate on the 917.254450 is very thin, you can add a 1-7/8 ball, but any toung weight on the trailer will bend the plate. It has the light duty 6 speed. The rear plate only has bolt openings for a bagger.

So, it would be more of a YT unit?

Good to know

#8 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 12:57 PM

Post 173 here http://gardentractor.../page-12?hl=red Shows the steering bushings, and this picture shows the rear plate.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020524.JPG
  • P1020525.JPG
  • post-415-0-39675100-1367112633.jpg

#9 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:26 PM

This is mine.