• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:22 PM

Sector gear on my 917.255919 has a tooth broke off, Have tried for months to find a replacement. It's a cast iron part and have been told the tooth could be rebuilt with nickle rod. Not the welder I once was so not going to run the chance of totally ruining an otherwise serviceable gear, it hangs a bit and have to shake the wheel but it does engage the next tooth eventually.

Any welders on here that would be willing to tackle the work? Replacing the metal and reshaping a new tooth?

Will pay labor and shipping both ways. I'm transportation limited and nearest shop is 40 miles away so figured I may as well offer the work here.

Of course if someone has a usable replacement that would be great. Have had a couple of responses but they found their part to have the same problem.

ThanksSector gear.JPG Sector number.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and camillefo16 have said thanks

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:31 PM

His part looks like this. I have also heard it can be repaired by welding. Another option would be getting one off a parts tractor 917.255914 or 917.255919

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150689.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Would any of these work? http://www.ebay.com/...g gear&_sacat=0

#4 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:46 PM

Would any of these work? http://www.ebay.com/...g gear&_sacat=0

Nope, but thanks some will fit my 917.254450. I am checking with another member on another forum that I am getting the steering sleeve from to see if the sector is available on his parts machine for Phluphry.

• Auburn David said thank you

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I used to know machinists that could build up cast iron gears with bronze. That's something I've never tried myself. That's probably a skill that has pretty much disappeared. I dealt with a shop that could re-cast iron to fix engine blocks, and various other castings, but it was stupidly expensive.

Your best bet is to search it out on the www and see what you can find, unless you can find a parts machine cheap.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 11:14 PM

Sector gear on my 917.255919 has a tooth broke off, Have tried for months to find a replacement. It's a cast iron part and have been told the tooth could be rebuilt with nickle rod. Not the welder I once was so not going to run the chance of totally ruining an otherwise serviceable gear, it hangs a bit and have to shake the wheel but it does engage the next tooth eventually.

Any welders on here that would be willing to tackle the work? Replacing the metal and reshaping a new tooth?

Will pay labor and shipping both ways. I'm transportation limited and nearest shop is 40 miles away so figured I may as well offer the work here.

Of course if someone has a usable replacement that would be great. Have had a couple of responses but they found their part to have the same problem.

Thanksattachicon.gifSector gear.JPGattachicon.gifSector number.JPG

Send me a PM and we'll see if we can help you out. My shop can weld it or braze it depending on what we think will hold up best.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 01:44 AM

These will work if you drill the rivets out and use your sector won't they?

http://www.ebay.com/...r-/370568692468

http://www.powerlawn...gory_Code=30AST

Good Write up on the subject over here.

http://www.tractorfo...t-needed-27777/

• Auburn David said thank you

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Thanksattachicon.gifSector gear.JPGattachicon.gifSector number.JPG

If you can hang on for a few days. I talked with the other site member that has the parts tractor, He has offered two of the Craftsman parts tractors to me for free, he doesn't have time to take the parts off. I have to go pick them up. 200 mile round trip. I'll see if I can go this weekend. If the sector is good, I'll let you know. What convinced me of the trip is he said one has a sleeve hitch.

• Phluphy said thank you

#9 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 344 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:59 PM

I have one of those sectors....in good condition....
  • Phluphy said thank you

#10 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:57 PM

I have one of those sectors....in good condition....

Photos of what you have?

#11 Diesel1050 OFFLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 344 Thanks
  • 394 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I'll get them on Friday...

#12 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:37 PM

I am limiting the use of PB Blaster on this, but I am making progress. As soon as I get the park brake lever free I should be able to yank the columb out. Scored a clutch idler for Hulk II! The steering sector looks good from here.

OH, you will want to replace the brass bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft, it is most likely the cause of broken teeth.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1150709.JPG
  • P1150710.JPG
  • P1150711.JPG
  • P1150712.JPG
  • P1150713.JPG

Edited by larrybl, April 04, 2016 - 08:40 PM.