#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hello

I have a 2nd hand Massey 12 Hydro with the expansion tank.  The hydro has mostly been good aside from needing linkage work shortly after I got it.  I have the reservoir under the seat which has always had some oil in it, so I have simply assumed it was Ok.  Now I'd like to add some oil as the reservoir has gotten low, and I'm not sure what is in it.  I've heard Dexron was the initial oil, so I was about to add some, but noticed what little was left  was not as red as what was in the Dexron container.  I've loosened the drain plug and got a few drops on my finger to look at and smell.  It has a faint red or amber color, but again not like Dexron, or Type F ( which I understand should not be mixed).  It smells "hydraulic" but I have no clue what it actually is.  

Can anyone help?

• kathrynct69 said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 05:55 PM

I would change it  to a good Trans/hydraulic fluid so you know what you have in it.  What was recommended 30+ years ago may not be available any more and oil quality has improved tremendously since then.

• limebuzz, KennyP, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Wish I could help..I tried to look online and best I could find is it takes 15w40 but that doesn't sound right with the red color...I do know thats what my little Digit takes though.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Wish I could help..I tried to look online and best I could find is it takes 15w40 but that doesn't sound right with the red color...I do know thats what my little Digit takes though.

I've never heard that option, though I have heard that worn hydros will respond well to an engine oil instead of hydraulic fluid.

As far as changing all for fresh, I won't be able to change the oil filter which will be saturated with whatever oil was used.  I guess I'm looking for a safe bet to just add to what is there.

• Auburn David said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 06:59 AM

I would read this and add what it calls for.
http://gardentractor...service-manual/

At least you know that will be safe, regardless of what else is in there.

As for all new, the filter is NLA, but a full drain and replace would be a good idea as the OEM filter has a bypass fro when it plugs and I'm sure it's getting plugged... So new fluid over old and contaminated may be a good thing to have in there... Even if the filter is older.
  • limebuzz and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,863 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:14 PM

The manual calls for Type A ATF.

The old Type A -transmission oil has undergone numerous improvements over the years, and is now known as Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). 
The original Dexron oil became Dexron II, which developed into Dexron IIE in the early 1990's. Dexron IIE used extra additives that helped clean computer-controlled shift solenoids and pressure control solenoids inside the transmission. After only a short time, Dexron IIE became Dexron III, which is still the current Dexron designation. 
Dexron III can normally be substituted for any of its earlier relatives.

This from Wikipedia

In the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, ATF contained whale oil as a friction modifier. But since whale oil would break down at higher temperatures, cars produced in the 1970s and later would not be able to use whale oil because of the higher engine coolant temperatures employed to reduce emissions and save fuel. A moratorium on whale oil at that time prevented the continued production of older ATF such as the original DEXRON formulation (Type B), and the Type A which preceded it. Vintage Chrysler products (Dodge, Plymouth, etc.) used Type A fluid, which is generally difficult to obtain now. It turns out that Type A was basically a nearly 50/50 mix of Type F (Ford) and Dexron (GM), so if you have a pre-1990 Chrysler vehicle, you can mix Type F and Dexron to get a near-match for type A. General Motors began marketing Dexron II Type C and later Dexron II Type D to replace the fluids which were made from whale oil.

• limebuzz, MH81, HowardsMF155 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:33 PM

I've never heard that option, though I have heard that worn hydros will respond well to an engine oil instead of hydraulic fluid.

As far as changing all for fresh, I won't be able to change the oil filter which will be saturated with whatever oil was used.  I guess I'm looking for a safe bet to just add to what is there.

Thats what the Case Ingersoll 6018 calls for.

• limebuzz and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Thats what the Case Ingersoll 6018 calls for.

Ok, that is a hydraulic drive which is not the same as a hydrostatic drive.

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 11:00 AM

This what I use in my MF14 and LGT165 Ford.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Ok, that is a hydraulic drive which is not the same as a hydrostatic drive.

IDK what kind of hydro the MF12 has but 10w40 is ok to use in a sundstrand.

• limebuzz said thank you