• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gage's Garage OFFLINE  

Gage's Garage
  • Member No: 74343
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Last Fall I got a '73 T-16 given to me that was not running and only came with a front blade. I did a carb rebuild, new coil, battery, spark plug, gas, and of course oil and it was running (good enough to plow snow). Now I'm looking to actually get it looking and running a little better, and I wanted to start by figuring out some of the wiring issues it has.

Firstly, I think the ignition on this tractor has been changed from the original setup. I really don't know much about these, but I don't believe the big battery ignition coil (picture 4) would be an original type of part. It works for now though. The only problem Is the generator doesn't always charge the battery, sometimes it does, other times it doesn't.

The electric PTO is on all the time, because switch is gone,  with just an empty hole it the dash where it should be. It looks like the wires were then run to the electric lift pull lever (top right of first picture) which I don't think my tractor even has electric lift, but pulling the lever in and out does nothing to control the PTO. I'm hoping this can be fixed by just throwing a new toggle switch in.

The last, and probably least important issue is when the hood is fully shut, the tractor loses spark completely. I have checked every wire and ignition component for shorts, but couldn't find anything that seemed to be the culprit. For now, I just keep something wedged in there to keep the hood open an inch or so and it runs fine. 

Hopefully there are some wiring gurus out there who can give me some tips here, or even explain what type of a ignition system this thing has going on. 

Edited by Gage's Garage, March 30, 2016 - 04:52 PM.

• hamman and williecq16 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 06:05 PM

Looks like the wiring  has been " rube goldberged"  a time or two. I would get a picture of mine for you but it is in storage and I can't get to it right now. The other two are covered in snow under a tarp out back. The PTO switch is just a switch to flip on or off. Power in to switch power out to PTO when on. The electric lift is located under the dash panel under the tunnel. As for the tractor loosing spark I had that problem with mine when I installed a tall spark plug. Every time I closed the hood it would quit. I installed the short plug and it works fine. It looks like the regulator has been changed but tit should work. The ignition switch is still available from Simplicity. I'm having problems getting pictures to load and can't show you what I have.  I think there is a manual on here that you can download. Good luck with it.                                                                                                                                                       Roger

• Gage's Garage said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:53 PM

The wiring schematic is somewhere in the Manuals Section. That engine is supposed to be magneto ignition. It looks to be a castiron Briggs engine in there. The hood may be shorting the coil. You've got a bunch of sorting out to do. The voltage regulator needs to be serviced. If it has an electric clutch, that should be turned off. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman and Gage's Garage have said thanks