#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I have a Tecumseh HH60 on a Troy Built Horse garden tiller. Last fall it started to smoke big time every once in a while. I took the motor apart and didn't find anything real wrong. The crank and rod had some dark spots on it but other than that nothing. I cleaned the crank and bought a new rod, I put new Hasting piston rings in and checked the gap and it was fine honed the cly and put it back together. I let it run in for a while and nothing was wrong. last night I went to till the garden and it started to smoke again. It is like a big bunch of oil gets in the cly and then it quits. Almost like when I tilt the tiller back or forward it does this. I checked the oil level and it was okay. It comes out of it but something is wrong and I don't know what it is. Any ideas? 

• Auburn David said thank you

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:29 AM

I have a Tecumseh HH60 on a Troy Built Horse garden tiller. Last fall it started to smoke big time every once in a while. I took the motor apart and didn't find anything real wrong. The crank and rod had some dark spots on it but other than that nothing. I cleaned the crank and bought a new rod, I put new Hasting piston rings in and checked the gap and it was fine honed the cly and put it back together. I let it run in for a while and nothing was wrong. last night I went to till the garden and it started to smoke again. It is like a big bunch of oil gets in the cly and then it quits. Almost like when I tilt the tiller back or forward it does this. I checked the oil level and it was okay. It comes out of it but something is wrong and I don't know what it is. Any ideas? 

Is the crankcase breather clogged causing it to build of case pressure? If I remember correctly, there should be a small cover on the side of the block with a hose coming off of it that houses a small filter like material and a valve.

• DanP and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Is it gray oil smoke or black gas smoke?  Did you check the breather (clean, operating properly)?  Did you clean the piston ring grooves with a groove cleaner?  You could have a piston ring randomly sticking.??  Just throwing some stuff out there.

• DanP and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Sure sounds like a breather problem to me causing the oil to be sucked in around the valve guides. If the vent hose isn't wet with oil it's probably plugged up.

• HDWildBill and DanP have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,297 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Either something is up with the Breather or it has worn Valve stems and guides.

Try cleaning the breather assembly in lacquer thinner or some other solvent then spray it out with carb cleaner to dry it out then give it a try.If that doesn't help then you might have to look for a machine shop to bore the valve guides out and press new guides in.

Can't remember if they have replaceable valve guides or if they're cast into the block on an HH60.Haven't had mine apart in a long time.

Seen alot of small engines that sat and got stiff or overheated because of running lean end up with scored valve guides.They'll smoke like crazy once they get a little worn.Even a couple scratches in the inside of the valve guide will make them smoke.

That's why I won't hammer a stuck valve down.It will score the valve guide.I'll spray them down and let them soak for a long time then Turn the valve by hand till it moves freely.Then remove the valve and clean it properly before trying to start it.

• DanP said thank you

#6 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 12:29 PM

The smoke is white. I thought about the breather but I just replaced it a couple years ago. I will take it off and clean it to be sure.

Thanks

#7 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I took the breather out and cleaned it although it seemed to work fine, i replaces the pad inside and made sure the drain hole was on the bottom. I replaced the hose from the breather to the air filter. After it runs a little bit it still has smoking fits, it seems to happen more when you tilt the engine like when you get to the end of the garden and raise the tiller up, but it also does it just going straight. It will come out of it and goo a while before it does it again but something is wrong.

Any ideas?