Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I have a weird question for a tractor board (Dentist)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:30 AM

A couple of years ago I had a deep cleaning.  Afterward, the hygienist told me that I had to come back every 3 months so she could keep an eye out for infection.  Sounds reasonable, for how long I asked.  The rest of my life.  WHAT?  My insurance covers 2 visits per year.  I asked what would happen if I went back to every 6 months.  She said I run the risk of having to have the deep cleaning done again.  Well it took 50 years to get to the point to where I needed one in the first place and I seriously doubt I have 50 years left in me.  Has anyone else who had a deep cleaning done been told this?

• Auburn David said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:45 AM

A couple of years ago I had a deep cleaning.  Afterward, the hygienist told me that I had to come back every 3 months so she could keep an eye out for infection.  Sounds reasonable, for how long I asked.  The rest of my life.  WHAT?  My insurance covers 2 visits per year.  I asked what would happen if I went back to every 6 months.  She said I run the risk of having to have the deep cleaning done again.  Well it took 50 years to get to the point to where I needed one in the first place and I seriously doubt I have 50 years left in me.  Has anyone else who had a deep cleaning done been told this?

I had a coworker that had to have surgery on his gums as they grew over his teeth ??? He had to go every 3 months to get a good cleaning or he too would get an infections. For years he had his wife's insurance and also our work insurance until I showed him how much money he was wasting by paying for our insurance for just 2 teeth cleanings.

But yes, he had to get it done every 3 months or he would get infections. He had diabetes too so he would be in serious shape if he got an infection and/or sores in his mouth.

• Gtractor, David Brown and Auburn David have said thanks

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:51 AM

If your insurance does not cover all you might check out this https://www.dentacard.com .I was skeptical but it really does offer huge discounts.The savings they show on there site are real.Been real nice to have discovered it before I spent $7500 on a bridge (No pun intended).They told me I would have a nice smile but I frown thinking about how much it cost.

Edited by Username, March 30, 2016 - 08:55 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 11:35 AM

If your insurance does not cover all you might check out this https://www.dentacard.com .I was skeptical but it really does offer huge discounts.The savings they show on there site are real.Been real nice to have discovered it before I spent $7500 on a bridge (No pun intended).They told me I would have a nice smile but I frown thinking about how much it cost.

It's not so much paying for it.  The cost is minimal.  It's having to go 4 times a year.  Then, if you do need something, that's more time spent in the chair.  It just seems like you're always there.  Time is at a premium right now and I just hate breaking away for this stuff.  I just wondered if they found a way to line their pockets or if there was something to this.  I know, trust issues.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,700 Thanks
  • 8,893 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 12:27 PM

Your hygienist is full of it. Twice a year at the most.

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 01:36 PM

If it were me I would go back every 6 months and see what happens. Better yet go visit another hygienist in 6 months and see if the first one is using you for a milk cow.

• David Brown and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 01:49 PM

What is a deep cleaning?    I use a water pick and the tooth cleaner mostly praises my gums.  i go twice a year.  good luck, tooth problems suck

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 02:37 PM

What is a deep cleaning?    I use a water pick and the tooth cleaner mostly praises my gums.  i go twice a year.  good luck, tooth problems suck

When your gums start to pull away from your teeth to the point it's unhealthy, they will do a deep cleaning to get whatever is in there out so that the gums snap back around the teeth where they should be.  Basically they are scraping the crud off the teeth below the gum line.  I'm not exactly sure why the fear of infection is there years after this is done.

• Oldford said thank you

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,605 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 02:51 PM

Sounds like an extra 18 holes of golf for the dentist to me.

Last time I went to the dentist she told me to drop my insurance.  I spend just shy of $200/year for 2 cleanings and am paying right at $400/year in premiums.  Problem is she told me to drop coverage in December and my policy change month is November. 

:(

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 06:31 PM

Last time I had my teeth cleaned the tech told me she would starve to death if everyone's teeth were like mine. Haven't had a cleaning since. Guy's gotta get lucky once in awhile. :D 

Sure had my quota of fillings and crowns though. :mad2:  

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 02:44 PM

I went for deep cleaning 2 years ago and they have had me coming in every 3 months since. I floss daily, brush twice a day but I'm told by Miss Hottie that the plaque makes a cycle every 3 months. She spends 1/2 hour each time. I go because its all covered ($300 per visit) Might as well keep up the maintenance as long its covered.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 05:01 PM

l you might check out this https://www.dentacard.com .I was skeptical. . . . . . . ..

When I clicked on that thing I was attacked. Bad Juju there!

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 06:00 PM

When I clicked on that thing I was attacked. Bad Juju there!

https://www.dentacard.com/

Try this one.

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,076 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Man I haven't actually went to the dentist for 15 years or so. Well I did go when I broke a molar in half a 2 and a half years ago. But that was it.....I really hate the dentist.
  • David Brown and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#15 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:42 AM

My kids go to the dentist and he has already started putting in fillings in my daughters teeth... AYFKM!! In teeth that are ready to fall out to to be replaced by her adult teeth!! And the wife falls for this crap!! Next time i bring them ,he is going to be the one needing dental work!
Then he tells the wife that WE NEED TO BRUSH THEIR TEETH yeah the parents??? WTF! This is gods way to teach them to take care of their teeth!! Dont brush,get a cavity and tooth ache ,tooth pulled ,then you will learn!!! Hurts dont it!!! Take care of your teeth!!! You have only one chance more to get it right !!
Sounds like a pretty good gig, make $300 every 15 minutes just to ?look at a mouth full of teeth..... And to top it off, they pay the least amount of mal practice insurance. . .
If your lucky you can find a good doctor and dentist .... Best of luck with that, I know I have not done so yet.

Edited by skyrydr2, April 03, 2016 - 06:45 AM.