• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:50 PM

We had our house redone last year after some damage and insurance etc.  They landed several dumpsters in the yard next to the porch.  The yard is very badly torn up.  I intend to till the bad areas, then use the plow/blade to move the dirt around, then lawn roll it.

Has anyone ever had both the tiller and the plow blade on at the same time?  Is this even possible without major modifications?  I really don't want to have to do one, then the other, then switch back again if I need to.

Thanks for any input.

Aaron

• chieffan and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#2 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Generally the problem is that both use the same lift system, so when you are lowering one, you will be lifting the other.

On the Large Frames, Bolens offered two kits that helped to avoid the problem. One was a blade lock-up kit, so you could raise the blade, lock it in the up position, then disconnect the rods that raised the blade. Similarly, Bolens also offered a tiller lock-up kit. Like the blade lock-up, you raised the tiller, then locked it in the up position so you could disconnect the rods that lifted the tiller.

Maybe you could hatch something similar in intent?
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862, sodisr and 3 others have said thanks

#3 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 10:26 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Or for that matter I never want both of them down at the same time.  So when I drop the tiller, the blade lifts, and vice versa.  Was just curious if anyone has ever done it before.  I can see it going either way, it over stresses the lifting handle, or they somewhat balance each other out and works like a champ.  I guess, weather and wife permitting, I will try and figure it out this weekend if there are no better suggestions.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:54 AM

The lift arm has different anchor points for the front and rear attachments, so essentially you would end up lifting or dropping both at the same time.
You may be able to install both attachments to the same anchor point on the lift arm with minor modification.
  • Bolens800uk and AA Hayes have said thanks

#5 BolensChrisUK ONLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:33 PM

I have the answer !!!!

Buy another bolens like most of us have done :D

Job done :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000, MrFixit1599, 29 Chev and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:43 PM

I have the answer !!!!

:ditto:

• 29 Chev said thank you

#7 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Joking apart, buying GTs out in the States can be very reasonably priced so to me it would make sense to have another tractor as a backup and to attach another implement especially if you got the room. I am guessing that you could pick up another good Bolens easily in your area?
  • MrFixit1599, 29 Chev and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#8 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 05:32 PM

I have been looking into it.  Eventually that is the plan, but this is only the second time in 4 years I will have used the plow and tiller.  i want a second one for Winter/Summer, take your pick.  Then I could just leave the deck and snow thrower attached all year round.

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#9 AA Hayes ONLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 05:38 PM

I have been looking into it.  Eventually that is the plan, but this is only the second time in 4 years I will have used the plow and tiller.  i want a second one for Winter/Summer, take your pick.  Then I could just leave the deck and snow thrower attached all year round.

Sounds like you need 3 at the least, likely 4 or 5

I have the answer !!!!

Agreed!
  • MrFixit1599, Bolens800uk and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#10 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 09:56 PM

I have the answer !!!!

I'm gonna have to   :ditto:  this post. I have tried it and it doesn't work at all. I tried chaining up the tiller to use as weight for the blade. That worked to a point. The blade really isn't that hard to hook up, so i just do as much tilling as possible and then switch. Now I have two tubers, shouldn't have that problem anymore....

• Bolens800uk and AA Hayes have said thanks

#11 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,114 Thanks
  • 1,200 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:57 AM

That's kind of what I was thinking.  Or for that matter I never want both of them down at the same time.  So when I drop the tiller, the blade lifts, and vice versa.  Was just curious if anyone has ever done it before.  I can see it going either way, it over stresses the lifting handle, or they somewhat balance each other out and works like a champ.  I guess, weather and wife permitting, I will try and figure it out this weekend if there are no better suggestions.

I would think you would want control over each attachment separately or at least be able to lock one in the up position while you used the other.  Having one go down when the other goes up may cause problems with being able to move the tractor when not using either.  You could possibly come up with a way of doing this but I think changing the attachments or getting another tractor may be simpler and safer.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#12 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I think it would be much easier to stop thinking about ways to utilize using 2 attachments at the same time on 1 tractor, and just join the club/sickness and buy several Bolens for all different tasks. It bound to happen anyway, trust me!!! :D :smilewink:

• blackjackjakexxix and AA Hayes have said thanks

#13 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 10:17 PM

I had both the tiller and blade on my 1050 a few years ago.  Had a shorter linkage hooked up to something for the tiller to hold it up. Changed the linkage if I wanted to lower the tiller. As I now have mutiplie tractors I haven't needed to do that in few years.  Can't remeber what I hooked it to now.  Extra wieght worked wonderfull for pushing.  

Easy out buy another tractor.  No sense fighting it its going to happen sooner or later.

• blackjackjakexxix, MrFixit1599 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#14 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 11:09 PM

I know, but I don't really have the funds right now to add another to the stable, and I need to do it in the next couple weeks.  Yes eventually I will find another one.

• blackjackjakexxix, Bolens800uk and AA Hayes have said thanks

#15 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 06:55 PM

I know, but I don't really have the funds right now to add another to the stable, and I need to do it in the next couple weeks.  Yes eventually I will find another one.

Just bugging you about another unit!

When I had both on I used the blade with the tiller locked up.  I believe I ran a linkageup ( flat bar) over the axle and bolted it to the frame through an existing hole. Then when I wanted the tiller I removed the blade.  Bit of a chore but not the end of the world.