Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Honda engine pumps, how to remove parts?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,342 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Some know I bought 4 little Hondas, 4hp, that were on water pumps. Most had pump parts off. Took one backplate off with Torx bolts and it is off easy. Couple others still have the rotors/impellers or whatever called on the shafts. The shafts have threads on end, can see those on one. Thought just a nut, easy. NOW, looking at them, No nut, thinking the impeller has threads then. I tried smacking the fins on one to see if just knocked loose. No go.  I'm not sure left or right threads, I'll have to examine exposed one. Hard to see, pretty fine threads. Now I have manuals and says pto goes CCW.  So would think CW threads, so as not to loosen while working?? EVerything is rusty, guess I should be hitting with spray and let soak.  Other issue is holding the crank from moving while turning the impeller. I've been holding rope, not so good and hard by myself. Didn't want to remove cover and hole with strap wrench, but might have to. I figured a good hammer blow would do it and not need much more. Any suggestions?  Need a picture?

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 561 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Threaded impellers turn same as working to loosen CCW.

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,663 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:36 PM

If it is an open impeller, put a block of wood on the end of one of the impeller flights and smack it really hard with a really big hammer.

I have rebuilt MANY 4" Gorman Rupp sewage pumps and this is how I remove the impellers.

I have rebuilt smaller closed impeller pumps but I think they actually had 2 flat spots opposite each other for a wrench to fit on.

• Alc said thank you

#4 GWest OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 440 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Stuff a length of rope down the spark plug hole so the piston can't get to top dead center. Don't let go of the rope.

#5 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Check your inbox.