#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 02:41 PM

So, everyone has those mower lifts that pick-up tractor by front wheels on sale in spring. I used to think I wanted one. They seem good for cleaning deck, change blades maybe, and that's about it.  Most of my tractors have no decks, so probly don't even need one. Can't do oil changes, decks are in way. or if no deck, maybe could get under on some tractors. Most later models tho, have easy access drain tubes on sides and don't need to get under.  Old Briggs on my Speedex's and some others still need plug out bottom, hard to see. AND, even with this lift, still have to pretty much lay on floor to work on it anyway, one of things I'm getting too old and tired of doing anymore. SO, what you guys think of them?  Think I already talked my way out of the need, ha!  Just wanted opinions. I see them used at shows, but they want almost same price as sale ads.

• boyscout862, farmer john and aliciakn2 have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I have never tried one, but I think about the same as you. I don't see a point to them. I have a 3 ton floor jack that will lift nearly as far as one of those, it takes up less space and it will also lift my truck and my wife's car. 

Jim

• boyscout862, farmer john and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:31 PM

I've never seen one of those things in person. Just the ads that are around. Seem kind of gimmicky to me. If you have a tractor lifted up on one and you are under it shouldn't you have a jack stand in place. The ads never seem to show that.

jhn9840
John
  • boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:43 PM

We bought one and I love it.
It will pick up the front of the Roper without issue and is very nice for getting a bigger version of me under the darned thing.
Cleaning, belt replacement, etc all made easier.

Not perfect, but if on sale and a decent unit, I enjoy having mine.
Read the reviews on them. They vary wildly from store to store and even model to model.
  • Gtractor, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:51 PM

http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Bought this one 750# when I bought the ZTR specifically to clean the underside of the deck and remove blades for sharpening , my days of "enjoying" removing the deck doing said work and re-attaching it are over. This has proved to be a worthy addiction to the garage. A plus is you can run it up and down with a battery drill.
  • Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 123 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 04:00 PM

I have a Harbor Freight one. Comes in handy for taking mower blades off to sharpen, and cleaning under the deck. They have safety pins that you use when up, so you don't need a jack stand. Other than that, I'm not sure what else they would be good for
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Mine stays mainly folded and stored as it is a pain to drag out to use it, and takes up a butt-load of floor space when assembled. I probally would use it more if I left it assembled outside for easier access.

• farmer john said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 04:07 PM

I  bought a used pair of steel ramps intended for cars. They have removable ramps that then leave the front wheels up and easy access to the deck. Good Luck, Rick

• limebuzz, WrenchinOnIt and Oldford have said thanks

#9 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 05:26 PM

hi all: I was of the same mind, who needs it, wont use it, I got a jack. well all that changed when I was at harbour freight last year and they had them on sale with a store coupon for $59. I thought what the hey and bought it, if I hated it I would just resell it. well I love that thing. I can pick up the front put a saw horse under it then pick up the back and its at a great working height for me. would I buy a more expensive one? I doubt it as I have seen some upwards of $300 but if you can get one on sale I would go for it, you would be surprised how many times you would use it. just my thoughts. have a great day. john
  • Gtractor and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I  bought a used pair of steel ramps intended for cars. They have removable ramps that then leave the front wheels up and easy access to the deck. Good Luck, Rick

This is probably a lot safer too!

Put the front on the ramps, jack the rear up for "jack stands" and a fat boy (like me) can get under these GT's!

• farmer john said thank you

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:58 PM

I look at them and thought about them but then  - - ?  I built my work table, 36" wide and 5' long with removable center sections, 32" off the ground. Drive up on and off, or if it is a dead one use the electric which to pull it up on.  Can do about anything you want with one up there.  And didn't cost anything to build as It was all left over material from a pole building project.  Have about $20 in the 2  2X10-10' planks for ramps.  For deck cleaning I use a 8" post set in the ground at an angle with a hand winch.  Crank the front up, wash it off, run it, grease it and done deal.  Washed grass get raked out onto the gravel road is gone the next day.  To each his own - when I don't have a tractor on mine it makes one heck of a work bench.

Edited by chieffan, March 28, 2016 - 06:59 PM.

• limebuzz, MH81, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#12 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:51 PM

Being in the chair I needed something to lift my tractors to work on them. So I went with the H.F. electric hoist...

Mounted it to the rafters with extra supports, it'll lift 800# double line like nothing. I use it from my original to the super 1872 without an issue.

It comes in real handy for changing blades, cleaning the deck, mounting the deck or push blade, changing oil. I'm using it for pulling engines, the possibilities are endless, and it takes up NO floor space... The perfect tool for us that can't get down on the floor and get back up, to just being at a comfortable height while working on tractors.

Here's a couple pictures using it with my original. First picture is it standing on end while I was installing the clutch, others are picking the whole tractor off a table and putting it on the floor. I've picked up complete narrow frames without busting a sweat... :thumbs:  

Attached Thumbnails

• attachmentRPTGASI6.jpg
  • attachmentC8PJ5KR6.jpg
  • attachment23YKA516.jpg

• limebuzz, MH81, jpackard56 and 1 other said thanks

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:50 AM

Looks like you have a good set up that works for you zippy 1.  I am working on a truss support to lift motors out while up on the table.  Trusses are built to take the down pressure from the top and not being pulled on from the bottom so have to come up with a support to the floor that will be out of the way at the same time.

• farmer john and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Looks like you have a good set up that works for you zippy 1.  I am working on a truss support to lift motors out while up on the table.  Trusses are built to take the down pressure from the top and not being pulled on from the bottom so have to come up with a support to the floor that will be out of the way at the same time.

I have seen lots of people that forget or never knew " Trusses are built to take the down pressure from the top and not being pulled on from the bottom" can be disastrous....

• chieffan said thank you

#15 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 08:05 AM

Being in the chair I needed something to lift my tractors to work on them. So I went with the H.F. electric hoist...

Mounted it to the rafters with extra supports, it'll lift 800# double line like nothing. I use it from my original to the super 1872 without an issue.

It comes in real handy for changing blades, cleaning the deck, mounting the deck or push blade, changing oil. I'm using it for pulling engines, the possibilities are endless, and it takes up NO floor space... The perfect tool for us that can't get down on the floor and get back up, to just being at a comfortable height while working on tractors.

Here's a couple pictures using it with my original. First picture is it standing on end while I was installing the clutch, others are picking the whole tractor off a table and putting it on the floor. I've picked up complete narrow frames without busting a sweat... :thumbs:  

Looks good :thumbs:  After much study and cost comparisons I too went with that set-up hanging from a 2 ton gantry crane, unfortunately it is holding a 7.3 diesel engine project with the F250 taking up ALL the rest of the space, so ALL my GT work has been OUTSIDE since Dr's release last fall :wallbanging:  The F250 project is stalled because apparently it is not O.K. to re-use my as it turns out "two-piece flywheel" Allegedly I need to spend another $600-800 for a new flywheel !! What ever happened to the days of re-surfacing the flywheel and re-install :( They tell me the two-piece flywheel was "engineered" to "smooth out the shifts" and take up some of the torque to frame rails ? I thought the driver was responsible for smooth shifts...So the decision waits, performance one piece flywheel (which sells as a set with matched plate and clutch) or factory two-piece using the clutch and plate already purchased...GT work only on dry days for now...

• limebuzz said thank you