• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi all, I don't see an engine forum so I'll ask here as I know a number of Economy / Power Kings used this B&S engine, my brother has this B&S model 231431  type 0021  01 Date 651101 engine that the flywheel shattered, he got a replacement flywheel but the replacement has no key way and his CS has a key way can he use the non key way flywheel on his engine and is can it be installed anywhere?

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Sounds like he got a flywheel for an engine with the magnamatic ignition. If the original had a key, he needs one with a key. Was his flywheel cast or aluminum?

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 02:36 PM

I might have old engine off of PK, have to see what model for sure.  Think flywheel still on it. Never heard of Briggs with/out a keyway??  Aluminum key that can shear if trouble. So what does that engine do for timing then too??

#4 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:23 PM

The magnamatic flywheel doesn't have any magnets in it. There is a magnetic rotor that mounts on the crank inboard of the flywheel that is fixed for the timing. This would have been on the 23 and 23A engines. Also other number series before the switch to 6 digit numbers.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Looked, was Konler, duh! I have several Briggs I got last summer. All buried. Two I saw with parts missing, but have diff color shrouds and numbers not on them. So,,,guess spoke too soon and can't help at this time. Will need warmth and time to explore what's here and what's leaving.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:58 PM

Please check that number. Did you mean a 243xxx? My late model AC B10 has the 243xxx engine and so do a lot of others. My early B10 has a 23D engine which was popular until 1965. Good Luck, Rick

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hi guys the numbers are correct IT IS a Model 231431 yes it has the magnamatic ignition, the fellow he got the flywheel said some engine can have a key way in the CS (maybe a CS replacement)  The original was cast iron there is one small piece he can't find the part that may or may not have had the key way. By the way its not a good thing when one of these shatters my brother ended up with a badly busted hand, he's darn lucky that's all.

Edited by MNGB, March 28, 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:50 PM

Hi all well a bright idea came to me as I was sitting here thinking about this question why not look in the engine manual (the B&S Repairman;s manual 1918 to 1981 engines) which I have and it say unless the engine is equipped with a starting crank put the flywheel on in any position and torque the nut to 115 ft lbs, there is no flywheel key with this ignition system.

#9 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,159 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 07:03 PM

B&S model 231431  type 0021  calls for crank 260761,I am guessing but the flywheel you have now goes to a crank like number 260135.The two cranks are in the Crankshaft id list dated Feb.1,1983

231400.jpg 234crank.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#10 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:02 PM

The magnamatic flywheel doesn't have any magnets in it. There is a magnetic rotor that mounts on the crank inboard of the flywheel that is fixed for the timing. This would have been on the 23 and 23A engines. Also other number series before the switch to 6 digit numbers.

I learned my quota for today! Never realized they kept the magnamatic that late. Don't think I've ever run into one on a six digit number.

Sounds like one problem's solved but I have to wonder what made it go in the first place. Does he have any idea? Something happening in the points that would make the timing too far advanced? Sudden stop of the crank? Over rev? I'm not sure loose would do it unless it bound on something. Had the flywheel been off recently? Just throwing some thoughts out there. Check the breaks and see if it all shows fresh or if it maybe had a previous crack.

• MNGB said thank you

#11 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Hi DougT, we aren't sure but he thinks there may have been a dirt dubber clump on the flywheel, he hadn't had the engine running for a couple of years and prior it was running great, he cleaned the gas tank and checked the carb put some gas in the tank and gave the rope a couple of pulls and it was running he let it warm up and just advance throttle a little bit and bang parts flew lucky for him he wasn't inline with the flywheel . The breaks are all new so only thing we can think is an out of balance thing.  We checked out another engine for a flywheel it turned out to be a model 14 but that flywheel was cracked so that one is red tagged.

#12 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:19 PM

That's a tough call. I suppose its possible but seems like it would take a higher RPM. That nest must have been stuck pretty good. I still think it might be worthwhile to check the points and wire going to the coil. The plain 23s had a spark advance built in. Not sure if this engine is the same or not. Maybe something that would make it go full advance too quick.

• MNGB said thank you