• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:57 AM

I have a dethatcher I bought to use as a harrow, towed behind a brinly cultivator.

Would my idea of using a dethatcher as a harrow towed behind a brinly cultivator work out ok?

The whole idea is to level the ground behind the cultivator and to create a finer seed bed.

Thanks
  • randygv16 and janecg69 have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:42 AM

Since you already have it I would just try it and see if it works. Let us know the results.  I was thinking of picking one up, converting it to fit a sleeve hitch and using it as a dump rake. I am still trying to decide on that idea.

Jim

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Since you already have it I would just try it and see if it works. Let us know the results. I was thinking of picking one up, converting it to fit a sleeve hitch and using it as a dump rake. I am still trying to decide on that idea.

Jim

This is my front yard. Not gonna happen until I get a sleeve hitch for the 300 and the snow goes away then the ground dries out...
image.jpg
  • DH1 said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 12:57 PM

I think it will do it somewhat. Most likely not as good as you are hoping. I say try it and you will know exactly how well it works.

Edited by shorty, March 28, 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#5 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I agree with shorty, what your trying to do works on big field cultivators so I know where you getting the idea. What they are doing now to get a very fine seed bed is rolling baskets! I am going to(probably in the distant future) is put some reel mower gangs from old push type or greens/fareway mower. I think that will cut up the clods and really do what you are wanting. Just my 2 cents
  • shorty, CanadianHobbyFarmer and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 02:42 PM

I used to drag a section of chain link fence behind for smoothing out and clod busting. Worked great. For tougher soil i laid another section on top for more weight. Worked so well we began using chain link for ball diamond resurfacing at work.
  • Sawdust and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#7 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 07:55 PM

I put a piece of chain link fence on a 4x4 pallet.

and put some steel for weights on the the pallet (chain link fence down) and that helped a lot smoothing out after plowing last fall.

• Sawdust and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hi Greasey, I use my dethacter all the time in the garden after working the ground, I don't pull it behind a digger or what ever use it separately and it works good at least I'm pleased with the results and have been doing it for 2/3 yrs now.

• shorty and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#9 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Since you already have it I would just try it and see if it works. Let us know the results. I was thinking of picking one up, converting it to fit a sleeve hitch and using it as a dump rake. I am still trying to decide on that idea.

Jim

Mine worked almost too good as a dump rake. Last summer when I would take the Moto Mower to my friends house to do stuff, the dethatcher would pick up almost every stick leaf and blade of grass... I would have to stop and remove all the junk from on there. It seems like where the lift rod that goes to the rear axle is on the 40" (42???) brinly dethatcher was where all the crap gathered.
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#10 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted May 15, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Just an update,

Worked horribly, worked like a dump rake that I couldn't dump.

I also bent the the frame a bit. I suppose the 2 cinder blocks did not help matters...
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted May 16, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. Sometimes you just have to try things to see if it will work. As for the cinder blocks, most of the tow behind de-thatchers are actually designed to be weighted like that. I did decide to go ahead with building a dump rake with one of these. I have it started, but it is on hold for now till the garden is in.

Jim