• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:30 AM

I have an area I can expand the garden into... It currently is sod with clay soil. Some of this land is a south facing hill so I want to open that up.

The question is, could I get away with plowing then cultivating? I know the sod might make it difficult.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 09:46 AM

I would plow it, let it lay a day or so to air out and dry as the clay holds moisture well.  Then till heck out of it to get the sod ground up.  Will take some working to get all the sod ground up or raked off.  You can cultivate it first to level it up some before tilling if you want.  Good luck.

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Did you end up buying the disc you were looking at? If you can till or disc it before you run the cultivator over it, you will have an easier time of it. Easier still is to fence it off, buy a couple young pigs and let them have at it. You won't have the space to use for planting till next year, but all the sod will be gone, the ground will be plowed and fertilized and you will have pigs for the freezer or to sell. I know you said your step-mom is a vegetarian, but bacon can convert anybody into a meat eater.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg

• Alc, TomLGT195, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 11:41 AM

Did you end up buying the disc you were looking at? If you can till or disc it before you run the cultivator over it, you will have an easier time of it. Easier still is to fence it off, buy a couple young pigs and let them have at it. You won't have the space to use for planting till next year, but all the sod will be gone, the ground will be plowed and fertilized and you will have pigs for the freezer or to sell. I know you said your step-mom is a vegetarian, but bacon can convert anybody into a meat eater.

Jim

I'm still working on the disk... Apparently it is stuck in a snowbank... I will try again in April.

Me my dad grandpa grandma and the neighbor think I should raise pigs... I'm all for it!

I tried many many many many many many times. As me and my dad both say "just can't win can we?"
  • holdenboy1960 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#5 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 12:30 PM

If you do get them, keep step-mom away from them. They are very intelligent and will bond with you just like a dog. If they bond with her you are going to have pet pigs.

I actually have the same issue with my wife. She isn't a vegetarian, but she would become attached to them and would not eat them, so she just stays away from my animals in general (chickens, meat rabbits and pigs).

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, March 28, 2016 - 12:38 PM.

• holdenboy1960 and Greasy6020 have said thanks