• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • Member No: 52789
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:41 PM

Recently had my Craftsman 22 hp tractor outfitted with 40" snowblower, PROPERLY, and it is finally working well. So well that I am considering leaving it rigged that way, and storing it in summer. The opinions I need are whether I should take advantage of the Home Hardware sale of the 420cc machine, with the 38" deck, or not. I've read some very good reviews on this little rig, but yesterday came across a whack of horrid reviews. Admittedly, most were from past year models, but not all.  My problem is, not being very mechanical, and somewhat phyically limited when it comes to working on it, should I take the chance and buy one? Anybody here got any advice about these machines? My plan B was to look around for a rebuilt used machine locally. I have been getting my son in law to switch over to mower and back to blower twice a year, but hate having to ask him......so this year Im looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Buy the Husqvarna that Rural King or other places sell. Get biggest you can afford. They seem nice.
  • jms180 said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Not a well built machine the low end home owner mower. It would last a few years if you are only cutting maybe a half acre lawn. Just my opinion.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:27 PM

Your sears is the better machine.

• jms180 said thank you

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,112 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:41 PM

Buy a new one from a dealer that sells and services it. Home hardwares don't service them, as far as I know.

Noel

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 783 Thanks
  • 515 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 08:23 AM

I won't buy new ever again......I learned the hard way...when I moved here from North Carolina to Maine...I didn't know what a good tractor was I went out and bought a John Deere lt110 ...first year was great no problems ...it mowed snow blowed and did ok. Next year it needed a few things, cables and an electrical problem. No big deal right ....well until you find out what they want for these special designed stuff that only fits certain model tractors. Oh then it takes a few weeks to get it....just to find out that its made in china and you will be replacing it again with in a year or so ...OUCH 

I finally decided to do some research and was starting to see alot of advertised  tractors ....new ones not running ...old ones rusty but run good and started thinking ...Man I don't need all these bells and whistles I just want to blow snow. ( reliably)

Thats when I got my first 1970's wheel horse. ......it don't quit ....so far just put a new belt on and a 1.43 square key for the blower pulley. and have eaten twice as much snow so far then I have with the chineese made deere. 

So when I read this I can't help but say damn all the money I wasted....Take it from me stay away from box store junk and stay away from name brand tractors if they are made in china. 

If you can afford new, I am sure you can afford to get a nice rebuilt machine that will last you well heck maybe the rest of your life. 

Now I know nothing of the machine your asking about but if anything like the deere I got run away its just a ploy to keep you buying lots of unique parts. 

• limebuzz and MolonLabe have said thanks

#7 glide OFFLINE  

glide
  • Member No: 52789
  • 14 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Alrighty then....thanks for the advice. To be truthful, I was going to get it thru HH because I have one of their credit cards....not too flush on cash right now......but, as pointed out, this machine is made in China, does not get serviced by the seller, and despite lots of good reviews, does have one post listing 107 complaints about it..horror stories in some cases. So, maybe I would just be better off looking around for a used machine, of better quality. I have a couple months to scrape cash together, thanks to the New Brunswick climate and grass growing season..lol  Thanks again for the opinions. Nice to have a place to ask these questions. Ride safe.

• limebuzz, jms180 and propane1 have said thanks