23 replies to this topic

#16 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I had 2 motomowers on it and it rode beautiful. 

IMG_1861.jpg

• MFDAC and Oldford have said thanks

#17 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Plan is to use the rear axle out of "the ol' grey mare"

I had a trailer made from a minivan drop axle.  Nice and low but no springs, it was a rough ride

• MFDAC said thank you

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I had a trailer made from a minivan drop axle.  Nice and low but no springs, it was a rough ride

I figured on using the leaf springs, but it will only be about 4' wide between the fenderwells. Still gonna take some thought or maybe just scrap the whole idea. I like the 15" common, cheap tires and wheels though. I may try to widen the axle. Just haven't gotten further than a driveable storage shed other than ideas.

DAC

• limebuzz and Oldford have said thanks

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:25 AM

One of my Wisconsin expeditions...

4.jpg 5.jpg

• Paulgo said thank you

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I like the way you hauled the deck.
  • Oldford and Paulgo have said thanks

#21 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Here is i hope the last tractor haul-in with the sled trailer.  my new bolens

bolens.JPG

It was a 40-minute ride and the roads were mostly smooth.  The old sled trailer is pretty rotted underneath, small wheels, old bearings.  i redid the deck and sides so it will go to semi-retirement as a yard and dump run trailer.  Also the bolens is staying up on it until i get it ready for mowing season, a good work platform.

Yesterday i drove 2 hours to get this.  Except i took a wrong turn and it was more like 3

trailer.JPG

It won't be rotting out on me.  but needs work to get to the tractor-hauling state.  at least i have the ramps i just made to use with it once i get the deck rebuilt.  Couldn't beat the price, half of a homemade lowboy where i live.  anything near me with a back gate costs almost as much as new.  boat trailers cost a lot here in maine but for some reason if it has a utility box is only worth half as much.  so i got a good deal.

The deck is 5' wide then the wheels stick out.  Finally i can see what is going on through the mirrors.  the wheels are true at 60 mph but it bumps the hitch constantly, i was feeling it in the seat.  hoping between new tires, bearings, and lightening the tongue weight i can smooth out the ride.

a good description for a trailer is "you don't even know it's back there."  i hope to get this one to that point.

• Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#22 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Here is i hope the last tractor haul-in with the sled trailer.  my new bolens

attachicon.gifbolens.JPG

It was a 40-minute ride and the roads were mostly smooth.  The old sled trailer is pretty rotted underneath, small wheels, old bearings.  i redid the deck and sides so it will go to semi-retirement as a yard and dump run trailer.  Also the bolens is staying up on it until i get it ready for mowing season, a good work platform.

Yesterday i drove 2 hours to get this.  Except i took a wrong turn and it was more like 3

attachicon.giftrailer.JPG

It won't be rotting out on me.  but needs work to get to the tractor-hauling state.  at least i have the ramps i just made to use with it once i get the deck rebuilt.  Couldn't beat the price, half of a homemade lowboy where i live.  anything near me with a back gate costs almost as much as new.  boat trailers cost a lot here in maine but for some reason if it has a utility box is only worth half as much.  so i got a good deal.

The deck is 5' wide then the wheels stick out.  Finally i can see what is going on through the mirrors.  the wheels are true at 60 mph but it bumps the hitch constantly, i was feeling it in the seat.  hoping between new tires, bearings, and lightening the tongue weight i can smooth out the ride.

a good description for a trailer is "you don't even know it's back there."  i hope to get this one to that point.

What model Bolens did you get? Looks like a QT 17?

• Oldford said thank you

#23 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:51 PM

It is a H16xt i put it in another thread

http://gardentractor...-the-h16-today/

The decals are apparently wrong for the year although it looks all original to me.  The owner had a bunch of parts gt's maybe the tin got changed out at some point, he didn't say...

#24 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Today i started working on the new trailer.  I drove 2 hours inland, but it was used in salt water at some point and most bolts are rusted pretty hard.  I oiled down all the bolts and had to work at getting the lug bolts off.

DSCN2313.JPG

Some free product placement of the stuff i use.  This side had no bearing cap but underneath the black grunge the grease looks pretty clean.  I will check the bearings and get some bearing buddies locally.

I have more hope for the other side

DSCN2315.JPG

The deck is 5/4 over 2x4's.  It is going to need some work before hauling a tractor.  A bonus is the winch works and even has a good strap.

DSCN2314.JPG

The winch says 1700lbs on the side should be good for a dead GT if need be

DSCN2316.JPG

Another bonus the tongue jack works.  Which i need at this point, the box is too far forward and the axle is too far rearward, tongue must weigh 200 lbs empty.  the projects never end