27 replies to this topic

#16 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 2,716 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I had 2 motomowers on it and it rode beautiful. 

IMG_1861.jpg

• MFDAC and Oldford have said thanks

#17 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Plan is to use the rear axle out of "the ol' grey mare"

I had a trailer made from a minivan drop axle.  Nice and low but no springs, it was a rough ride

• MFDAC said thank you

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,947 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I had a trailer made from a minivan drop axle.  Nice and low but no springs, it was a rough ride

I figured on using the leaf springs, but it will only be about 4' wide between the fenderwells. Still gonna take some thought or maybe just scrap the whole idea. I like the 15" common, cheap tires and wheels though. I may try to widen the axle. Just haven't gotten further than a driveable storage shed other than ideas.

DAC

• limebuzz and Oldford have said thanks

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,371 Thanks
  • 3,266 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:25 AM

One of my Wisconsin expeditions...

4.jpg 5.jpg

• Paulgo said thank you

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,371 Thanks
  • 3,266 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:26 AM

I like the way you hauled the deck.
  • Oldford and Paulgo have said thanks

#21 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:56 AM

Here is i hope the last tractor haul-in with the sled trailer.  my new bolens

bolens.JPG

It was a 40-minute ride and the roads were mostly smooth.  The old sled trailer is pretty rotted underneath, small wheels, old bearings.  i redid the deck and sides so it will go to semi-retirement as a yard and dump run trailer.  Also the bolens is staying up on it until i get it ready for mowing season, a good work platform.

Yesterday i drove 2 hours to get this.  Except i took a wrong turn and it was more like 3

trailer.JPG

It won't be rotting out on me.  but needs work to get to the tractor-hauling state.  at least i have the ramps i just made to use with it once i get the deck rebuilt.  Couldn't beat the price, half of a homemade lowboy where i live.  anything near me with a back gate costs almost as much as new.  boat trailers cost a lot here in maine but for some reason if it has a utility box is only worth half as much.  so i got a good deal.

The deck is 5' wide then the wheels stick out.  Finally i can see what is going on through the mirrors.  the wheels are true at 60 mph but it bumps the hitch constantly, i was feeling it in the seat.  hoping between new tires, bearings, and lightening the tongue weight i can smooth out the ride.

a good description for a trailer is "you don't even know it's back there."  i hope to get this one to that point.

• Sawdust and Paulgo have said thanks

#22 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 678 Thanks
  • 452 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Here is i hope the last tractor haul-in with the sled trailer.  my new bolens

attachicon.gifbolens.JPG

It was a 40-minute ride and the roads were mostly smooth.  The old sled trailer is pretty rotted underneath, small wheels, old bearings.  i redid the deck and sides so it will go to semi-retirement as a yard and dump run trailer.  Also the bolens is staying up on it until i get it ready for mowing season, a good work platform.

Yesterday i drove 2 hours to get this.  Except i took a wrong turn and it was more like 3

attachicon.giftrailer.JPG

It won't be rotting out on me.  but needs work to get to the tractor-hauling state.  at least i have the ramps i just made to use with it once i get the deck rebuilt.  Couldn't beat the price, half of a homemade lowboy where i live.  anything near me with a back gate costs almost as much as new.  boat trailers cost a lot here in maine but for some reason if it has a utility box is only worth half as much.  so i got a good deal.

The deck is 5' wide then the wheels stick out.  Finally i can see what is going on through the mirrors.  the wheels are true at 60 mph but it bumps the hitch constantly, i was feeling it in the seat.  hoping between new tires, bearings, and lightening the tongue weight i can smooth out the ride.

a good description for a trailer is "you don't even know it's back there."  i hope to get this one to that point.

What model Bolens did you get? Looks like a QT 17?

• Oldford said thank you

#23 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 03:51 PM

It is a H16xt i put it in another thread

http://gardentractor...-the-h16-today/

The decals are apparently wrong for the year although it looks all original to me.  The owner had a bunch of parts gt's maybe the tin got changed out at some point, he didn't say...

#24 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Today i started working on the new trailer.  I drove 2 hours inland, but it was used in salt water at some point and most bolts are rusted pretty hard.  I oiled down all the bolts and had to work at getting the lug bolts off.

DSCN2313.JPG

Some free product placement of the stuff i use.  This side had no bearing cap but underneath the black grunge the grease looks pretty clean.  I will check the bearings and get some bearing buddies locally.

I have more hope for the other side

DSCN2315.JPG

The deck is 5/4 over 2x4's.  It is going to need some work before hauling a tractor.  A bonus is the winch works and even has a good strap.

DSCN2314.JPG

The winch says 1700lbs on the side should be good for a dead GT if need be

DSCN2316.JPG

Another bonus the tongue jack works.  Which i need at this point, the box is too far forward and the axle is too far rearward, tongue must weigh 200 lbs empty.  the projects never end

#25 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:06 PM

It's been over a year, time for an update.  I worked on the trailer for about a month straight last spring.  First i pulled off the old deck

trailerboards.JPG

I removed a couple rotten crossboards and replaced them with new, added a couple extra where a GT would ride.

With the deck off i was able to loosen up the axle and move it forward about 18".  Then i got smaller tires and lowered the axle in the adjustable holes.

bolenstrailer.jpg

By cutting 2' off the ends of the deck and side boards i was able to reuse most of them, also lighten the tongue weight to around 50lbs empty.  There was a huge chunk of angle iron under the front of the old box, it was mostly rusted but i cut off the ends to make tailgate brackets which you can see painted gray in the pic above.  So now it has a removable tailgate.  The angle iron alone must have weighed close to 40lbs.

• KennyP and MolonLabe have said thanks

#26 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:17 PM

Trailer makes a good over-the-road hauler.  Had a friend 3 states away buy a new house, i fixed him up an Ariens snowblower for a housewarming gift.  Made a 600-mile round trip no problems.

trailerblr.JPG

It is very handy.  This spring we used it to root out the raised flower bed.

raisedbolens.jpg

The tongue was way too long so the next step was to cut off around 30".

canoeload.jpg

Now it backs up a lot quicker and fits in the yard better.

In winter it keeps my canoe off the ground and not blowing around in a noreaster.

trailers2.jpg

Since that pic i got some even smaller tires, 14" radials are cheap used and roll pretty smooth.  Next i need to move the lights up, now with the trailer lower i keep backing into hills and breaking the lights.  And mount a spare tire to the front triangle.  always something...

• KennyP and MolonLabe have said thanks

#27 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,003 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:36 PM

My 4 x 8' Snowco:  Tractors 2016 066.JPG

10' Woodworth (a local trailer builder):  Tractors 2016 163.JPG

My 20+ year old 18" Woodworth:  Tractors 2016 019.JPG  

• KennyP, Oldford and MolonLabe have said thanks

#28 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,134 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 04:47 PM

Those are some pretty serious lookin rigs!  makes mine look like a backyard special.  or frontyard in my case...

• grnspot110, KennyP and MolonLabe have said thanks