6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 10:21 AM

I have a good running B7100 HST with a good 60"deck with 1255 hours.  Looking at a B7300 HST with a Bush Hog loader, 450+ hours.  Would it bet better pursue a trade or look for a loader and trade my deck in on it?  I don't need another mowing unit and the 7100 is not suitable for mowing around shrubs or under trees.  I have 2 other mower for that.  Have a lot more use for a loader.  Haven't talked price yet but will probably be about as much to trade as it would to put a loader on my tractor.  Would probably go for a good used loader.  All my tractor has ever had on it was the deck.  Any suggestions and reasons would be welcome.

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:26 PM

I never understood a belly mower with a loader.  I needed all the ground clearance i could get on my old Case then there's the vision thing on hills.  My dream tractor has a front loader and rear 3pt i'd swap between a tiller and bush hog out back, also for counter weight...

• chieffan said thank you

#3 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,293 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:00 PM

I never understood a belly mower with a loader. I needed all the ground clearance i could get on my old Case then there's the vision thing on hills. My dream tractor has a front loader and rear 3pt i'd swap between a tiller and bush hog out back, also for counter weight...

All very good points plus the fact that you have to be aware of the extra length out front.

Edited by stiemmy, March 27, 2016 - 02:00 PM.

• Oldford and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:10 PM

My thoughts completely.  When I put the loader on it will have a few hundred pounds of weight on the 3 point when using it.

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 28, 2016 - 10:36 AM

My thoughts completely.  When I put the loader on it will have a few hundred pounds of weight on the 3 point when using it.

Sometimes in maneuvering the loader the hog behind can get in the way though, the tiller not so much. That is the way of our loader machines anyway.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:59 AM

I am thinking that I would not be gaining much in the line of work ability by going to the newer tractor.  I think my B7100 would do as much as the B7300.  The cost to trade would probably be as much as a loader for mine would cost and I know what I have now.  I have GT's for tilling and other mowing units from trim up to 48".  No use for rear mount cutter.  Rear weight would be easily dropped off when the loader was off freeing up the tractor for other uses.  I don't think there is much difference in tractor in 9 years, from a 90 to a 99.  Leaning towards keeping my tractor and going loader hunting.

Edited by chieffan, March 29, 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:19 AM

New loaders are about out of range.  $4500 to $5000 mounted.  Not sure I need one that bad.  No one wants my old deck.  They say they cannot sell a used deck so will keep it and my tractor.  Rear mount mower is OK for rough work but not for lawn mowing.  Finish mowers are not my thing as I think the tractor pushed the grass down and then mower don't pick it back up and cut it like it should.  Streaked lawn when your through.  Put the deck back on yesterday and working on a couple of Cat 1 3 point conversions now.  Will see if a decent used loader show up down the road.  Won't really need on till fall.