• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 10:37 AM

It's sure a hard time to think of quitting smoking, but my little 15mth old Grandson Case is starting to mock my smoking. He's blowing into objects after seeing me smoking. I sure don't want him picking up the habit. Might keep me out of the hospital by quitting too. Maybe I can get the strength to quit.
  • FirefyterEmt said thank you

#2 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:09 AM

Dan
I puffed like a steam engine.
In 2005 I used the nicotine patch and it was not that hard to quit.
The patch cost about the same as a heavy smoking habit.
3 step program over about 4-6 weeks.
There are other ways just check with your doctor the next time you get together.

#3 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Dan, I have never been a smoker, but I certainly wish you success on quitting. (Well, I DID try it when I was 14 or so. Didn't like the taste...)

#4 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:25 AM

I quit using the patch. They recommend that you start with some time on the 21 mg patch, then go down to 14 mg, then to 7 mg, then stop. Supposedly, you don't smoke all during the program, or after. I found that on the first round of 21 mg patches, I would still smoke a fair amount, so I added a 7 mg patch as well for a few days. While it was not recommended, it did work for me. I did not smoke then.

I've not smoked now for almost 10 years.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Daniel, I tried to send you a PM, but your storage is full..

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 12:01 PM

AURICULAR THERAPY worked great for my MIL

Good luck Daniel you can do it.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Daniel, I sympathize with you. I used to smoke a lot. I tried to quit two other times (during a divorce) but finally came to the mental conclusion that I wanted to quit. When I knew I really wanted to quit, I did. Cold turkey. They say the first three days or so you are grouchy, they are right. It got better after that and it has been a great habit to stop. I have had about three since quitting, but never wanted to pick it up again. It has been over six or seven years now and I don't miss it.

Good luck if you try to quit. You have my support.

#8 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 02:09 PM

I am in the throws of quitting, I have two small kids and I do not want them to see me smoking. I started by not smoking at home, that meant when I was on the property I would not smoke. Then I moved to I would not smoke in the car. and now I wont smoke on my breaks at work. So now I found that I am too busy to take the time to stop get out of the car and have a smoke. I am now down to just a few drags off a cig every few days. It took me awhile but the patch and the gum didnt work for me. getting my mind made up to quit worked

#9 tractor buddy OFFLINE  

tractor buddy

• Member No: 2928
  • 3 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 05:18 PM

I am in the throws of quitting, I have two small kids and I do not want them to see me smoking. I started by not smoking at home, that meant when I was on the property I would not smoke. Then I moved to I would not smoke in the car. and now I wont smoke on my breaks at work. So now I found that I am too busy to take the time to stop get out of the car and have a smoke. I am now down to just a few drags off a cig every few days. It took me awhile but the patch and the gum didnt work for me. getting my mind made up to quit worked

thanks for quitting for the kids .
Daniel it can be done and you have the best start ever because you Know you have to. other people are counting on you.
I will pray for you. God Bless

#10 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 05:41 PM

I quit about a year ago. I had quit twice before. The problem I had the first two times was I kept thinking I could just have one here or there. Every time I did I would buy a pack just for a few smokes and I would end up smoking the whole pack the next day or something and it was all down hill from there. So, if you do quit just stay quit, no matter what. When I drank was the hardest for me, so I quit that too. Nicorette helped but you just have to really want to quit in your head. Have a plan and stick to it. Get statistics on how long it takes to recover from smoking and keep them in mind when you quit. Use all the strategies and you will succeed.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 05:04 AM

:ditto: what has already been said

I've never smoked but I wish you the best in kicking the habbit..... Just think on the money you will save to buy more tractors!

#12 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Dan, I smoked my last smoke on 10-10-2000. I had smoked for 40 yrs. My doctor
gave me Zyban to stop smoking. Zyban is the same thing as Buspar, which is an
antidepressant. It made it a lot easier to quit & I didn't have any side effects from it.
The 1st week was a little rough but I wanted to quit bad enough that I got thru it.
The next problem was Thanksgiving & Christmas. You know when U have a big meal,
U want a smoke. I got thru that & then it was all downhill. I don't know if Zyban is
still used or not. I have seen the ad for Chantix on TV, but it look like the side effects
for that are worse than what U are trying to cure.
Good luck & if U want to quit bad enough U will make it. Like somebody above said,
look at the extra money you'll have for tractors.

#13 michelle OFFLINE  

michelle

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'm always glad to hear when people stop smoking. I imagine it isn't easy, especially when it something that has been a part of your life of 10+ years. Best wishes to all the "quitters"!

#14 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:21 AM

We will all be pulling for you Daniel if you kick the habit. You have a very large support group here and we all wish you the best.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm always glad to hear when people stop smoking. I imagine it isn't easy, especially when it something that has been a part of your life of 10+ years. Best wishes to all the "quitters"!

Been 37 years of bad habit. Not committed myself yet, but is on my mind constantly.