Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ever feel like your collection is fighting you?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 12:43 AM

I have a pile of tractors, and no, not all are operating, or even up to my standards yet. I seem to buy all these parts for these machines, and then when I go to put them all together, I hit a snag and move on while I think. Well, this happened during new tire time for the New Holland S-14 last week. The New Holland and Cub Cadet 108 are both fighting over the only pair of 23x10.50-12 Tru Powers I posess. I had two pair but sold one pair to DH1 since I didnt have these two machines at the time. So I bought a pair of used ATV tires for the New Holland, and got screwed on them since one had a plug in it (I always tube tires). So the New Holland has plow so I said, it gets new tires, but I will repaint the rims. Well, only one good rim it seems... So all my other tractors use wheels of lots of offset, and the New Holland can't becayse the front end tracks too narrow to pull that off. So I look at everything and come up with no options because the wheel wells wont accept 25" or bigger easily and fiberglass will flex right into a tire Im sure. So I am stuck on that one this time...

So on to the next machine, the Cub Cadet 102. Has all the traction it needs to plow, have a plow, no sleeve hitch, no brakes... The old GT6000 Caterpiller has the hitch, would plow, but never finished the engine swap (reworking clutch) and finally gave in that I was done with it (and parting it out slowly). And no, I cant find the method to get the Caterpillar sleeve hitch adapted to the Cub Cadet 102 without too much fab work I wasnt ready for until I got my replacement transaxle (external brakes). Next tractor option the trusty Toro 10, all ready to go except the carb... Never finished that rebuild due to a fuel issue it had. It only has 8" plow, rather run bigger machine. I have never plowed with the Toro either, so not sure how it would do... But no Kohler carb kits here anyway.

This brings me to the Farmall Cub, which is ready right now, but requires way more trailer (also ready), and its a 6 hour trip to Ball Hollow... rather not haul that trailer for that long because well, bigger trailer / load is more tiring of a drive. My smaller trailer requires little planning and not as much gas.

All I really want is to plow with a garden tractor... And nothing in my collection seems to interchange right now to make that a reality...

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, March 27, 2016 - 12:44 AM.

• Alc, truck21, jpackard56 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:28 AM

The Cub with the disc plow would be the tractor everyone they would remember !
  • wvbuzzmaster, propane1, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#3 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:31 AM

I'm sure everyone on this site has felt that way at one time or another. Take the Farmall Cub , I know it's bigger than the others but still not that heavy to tow. Good luck

Northern Tom
  • wvbuzzmaster, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:29 AM

I told you my idea last week on the phone.
But, At this point, it's Cub time.

Has anyone ever been fought by their collection? Hell yes!
Also being fought with my Dads collection too. (Anyone in the market for a MH tractor?)
Here is where I would give you a "Pick one and finish it" speech, but that would make me a hypocrite.

And Casey, mi amigo, remember this is a hobby. Hobbies are fun. Let it be fun and don't fight back.
If everything else is against you, take a breather and just run the heavier trailer and enjoy the day. I've followed your furrow before, and besides it being a little weird with a curved wall, it was just fine.
  • Alc, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:39 AM

I've followed your furrow before, and besides it being a little weird with a curved wall, it was just fine.

Alan knows a straight furrow when he sees one, yep-yep!

image.jpg
  • limebuzz, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:40 AM

Are there extra tractor and plows there that you could use ,if you can't take any thing ? Nice to have your own, but that maybe an option.

Noel
  • wvbuzzmaster and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,156 Thanks
  • 4,502 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:50 AM

I would go with the Cub.  A little bigger, heavier trailer won't make that much difference as far as driving, unless it is exceptionally wide and on narrow roads.  Enjoy the hobby and don't fight it.  I learned that with a S14D,  my first large frame.  Fought it for over a month.  Scrapped the whole project and moved on.  Live and learn.

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,156 Thanks
  • 4,502 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I have seen photos of several of your guys at plow days and they look like they were put down with a string.  You should see some of the Anhydrous knife marks left in some of the fields this spring.  Looks like a drunken sailor was at the wheel on open level ground.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Alan knows a straight furrow when he sees one, yep-yep!
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Funny part of that I never said straight.
I avoided that word completely so Casey wouldn't think I was picking on him
See, he rolled a starter furrow at my place one year....
Everyone complimented us on our new and innovative terrace farming techniques that summer.
  • wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Casey, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Heck, mine seems to kick me constantly. I had 4 planned to go and now down to 3. With only 1 of the original 4 going. Things can change quickly. I'd pick one to concentrate on. If it works, take it. If not, take the cub. At least you know one is ready. Worst case, show up and someone will have an extra. Heck mine kick me even at the plowday. Ask anyone about last one. Both machines broke on me. Still had a good time though. All else fails, just show up. We ll get you plowing.

Eric
  • wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 662 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:24 AM

Casey
I feel your frustration. So let's start here. Which one is more capable/ completed? I'm talking GT. What parts are cheaper to obtain to make capable. I know where you can get a hitch for the 102. You could have taken if with you, now you have to come visit again. What wheels are needed for the NH? Can you post a picture I may have something here. Hurry fast man you need to get ready.
It will work out buddy it's a big pebble just keep chipping away. Like Alan and others will tell you It's a hobby not work.

Text or Pm me bud

Happy Easter everyone

Mike
  • wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:41 AM

Same problems here. There is always something preventing the finishing of a project. I haven't been able to touch a tractor for two weeks because I'm working on my van. Twice, defective new parts have caused me to have to disassemble and reassemble the darned suspension. It is still not done. I've had to have my son drive me to the store twice.

I am going to spend some time better organizing my shop this spring. It is too crowded to work comfortably. I bought a tent garage to store a bunch of stuff out on the lawn. Hopefully, I can make some progress on the dozens of projects.

Do what you can and accept that everything takes longer than you want. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 08:27 AM

Casey!  You need to quit overthinking everything.

[1]  Put the one good correct-spacing New Holland rear wheel on the right rear of the tractor.  You might mount a tire on there while you're at it.

[2]  Find a wheel off whatever tractor you have sitting around there that will bolt on and doesn't rub for the left rear.  It doesn't matter where the left wheels ride as they are on flat ground and never have to ride in the furrow.   You can even run a dual on the left rear if you want.   Change out the tire to the lug that matches the right side.

Problem solved.

Another option is clean the bad rim as good as you can and J.B. Weld any rust holes for the time being.  If the rust out is around the valve stem put a flat washer around the hole and J.B. Weld it in place.  Use the J.B. Quick and it'll harden in less than 10 minutes.  Make sure its smooth with no sharp edges and mount the tire/tube.  2 hours and you have everything ready.  Don't worry about paint.

Put the tractor in the pickup and leave the trailer at home.

Now!  go plow and have a good time.  :wave:

Edited by Gtractor, March 27, 2016 - 08:37 AM.

• Bolens 1000, DougT, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 02:23 PM

Sounds like time to get out of Hobbie to me. Frustrations out number the fun times. Reduce to a couple, be happy!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#15 ACmowerguy ONLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 300 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 04:36 PM

I feel your pain too. Many tractors and attachments but not the right mix or they are broken in one way of the other.

• boyscout862 said thank you