John Deere 175 Challenges

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KerryRottacker OFFLINE  

• Member No: 81927
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Hi everyone.  I am endeavouring to resurrect a 175HD lawn tractor.  Not sure what year.  It has a Kawasaki FC420V engine.  It is charging at 13.3V, which, when using the mower, drains the battery within a few minutes, and the charging system can't keep up.  I have replaced the voltage regulator, and the stator, both with apparently tested as good used parts.  It is still charging at 13.3, or slightly lower.  First of all, should it not be charging at least a volt higher?  And if so, what am i missing?  Is it possible that the magnet on the flywheel is the culprit?  Where should I look next?  Thank you!

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,508 Thanks
  • 4,174 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 10:17 PM

Welcome to the forum. What is the battery voltage when it's not running? Are you sure the battery is good? It sounds like it is trying to charge. I'd figure normal charging at 13.6-14.2v. You can measure the AC voltage on the 2 outside wires with the regulator unplugged. I think they call for 27-30 vac. That would measure the charge without the regulator or load of the battery. Were the magnets all intact when you replaced the stator? Did it look like anyone had reglued the magnets in the flywheel? If they did and got the polarity wrong it might cause low voltage but most generally the magnets wouldn't be a problem. Another thought would be if the clutch is drawing too many amps.

• Alc said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,455 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Welcome to GTT. It could be that there is a short in the electric clutch of the power takeoff. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,293 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 10:27 PM

I was going to add check the ignition module, but it sounds like you are losing voltage way too fast for that to be the culprit. I would double check the battery, also.

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 01:59 AM

• Alc and Trav1s have said thanks