Impact Landscape Rake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brucepts OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:22 PM

I was in need of a rake to assist in landscaping my yard after the new septic tank install this past Fall, not wanting to spend lots of $$$'s for something I would probably only use only for a little time I found this rake made by Impact. Made for a 4 wheeler but they do offer a Brinly Sleeve hitch adapter and both the rake and adapter can be had for around $150 on eBay.

I wasn't sure of how heavy and well built it would be for the price, in my opinion it is a pretty stout piece for the money! Most rakes have tines around 13-15" tall and I felt this would be a tad high for use behind my Cub 149, this rake has tines 10" tall. I had given thought to building my own rake buying tines but the cost of tines alone was more than I paid for this rake.

Pros: Well built, worked quite good to help level out my piles and saved me from hand raking.

Cons: Tines to far apart to catch smaller rocks/stones, if the tines would be closer this would be an excellent rake!

I'm still leveling out my yard and I plan on coming up with a way to close up the space between the tines to catch the smaller rocks, probably some chicken wire or some type of small mesh fencing that can be temp installed across the tines for final grading.

I also had to pickup a rear hitch for the back of the 149, got it this week, didn't get a chance to paint it as I wanted to go out and play in the dirt with the "toys" :D

I'll add some pics of the grading I am doing when I get a chance.

Attached Thumbnails

• impactrakebox.jpg
  • inside.jpg
  • rake.jpg
  • rake-1.jpg
  • rake-2.jpg

• Gtractor, limebuzz, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

• Member No: 62466
  • 931 Thanks
  • 795 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hi, thanks for the review of the rake, I've seen them on e bay and was surprised at the selling price and was thinking that it wasn't much of a rake but thanks to your post I now think differently have been wanting a rake like that for a number of yrs but don't want to pay the price most are priced at. Thanks

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,684 Thanks
  • 39,059 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 04:43 AM

Nice rake! The tines do look a little wide, but it was probably designed just for dirt or small rock.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Brucepts OFFLINE  

• 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:19 AM

I would say the market for this rake being used on the back of a 4 wheeler would be for food plots out in the woods and not so much as landscaping a yard as I am using it. I'll still have to hand rake the yard before seeding and I'm ok with that as I can buy a nice landscape hand rake now and still not be anywhere near what I would have paid for a rake with closer tines.

One other thing I did not like was they advertise on their website they work with USA and International suppliers but, the box says "Made in China" I was hoping they just got a few parts from China and that was upsetting to me to know the whole thing just came from China. I understand it is tough to buy USA products and I understand it is a world economy (50% of my own personal business is International orders) All in all I am happy with my purchase, I would not compare this to the "Big Box" store attachments in quality it is made of some heavy steel!

I wanted a tractor mounted attachment as apposed to a hitch mounted wheeled one and didn't want to spend a couple hundred on something I would use once every few years or possibly ever again and they would sell at my estate auction and all you grubby auction goers would say "hey look this is barely used" :D

I wish it would swivel around and also be able to set on an angle. It has a tilt latch setup but having it tractor mounted all one has to do is lift it up to clear the trash out. I had some hard-pack dirt last night that I could not breakup dragging out, so I ran it backwards and forwards across it basically scratching it with the rake and was able to drag that out. Probably not the best thing to do with the tines but I bought to work it not look at it. I'll probably pickup some spare tines down the road just to have so 10-15yrs down the road they can also be sold at my estate auction and someone will have new replacement tines to go with their new rake attachment! :D

I'm going to try out some 1/4" or 1/2" mesh welded wire attached to the tines for this current project, later on probably weld up my own "screen" that can be attached to the tines more securely for any future landscaping projects. 

I enjoy seeing attachment projects that others are using or building, I hope this sparks some other thoughts for you all out there!

• limebuzz, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,327 Thanks
  • 3,756 posts

Posted April 22, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Nice looking rake. Did you try to fab a screen yet?

#6 Brucepts OFFLINE  

• 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Actually yes I started on something but life got in the way and I haven't finished it yet.

I picked up some 1/4" round stock and some flat stock, I drilled 4 pieces of flat stock with 6-7 1/4" holes spaced 3/4" apart, I then inserted the round stock through these holes and will weld the rounds fast. This fabrication will then bolt onto the rake tines across their face to form my screen. In theory it should work, practically not sure if it will work but will find out. Hopefully this week I'll get some time to get it welded up and usable.

Hope that makes some kind of sense . . . I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I'm also thinking I could do the same with some 3-4" wide flat stock bolted to the tine face to make a simple box scrapper setup until I get my box scrapper built.

I was having an issue of lack of rear weight and losing traction, only added weight on my 149 was some Bolens wheel weights, this weekend I pickup some John Deere 40lb suitcase weights and will be also fabricating a rear weight bar so I can easily add or remove weight as required.

• Alc and shorty have said thanks

#7 Brucepts OFFLINE  

• 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted April 27, 2016 - 09:36 PM

Pic of screen in process of fabrication.

Probably over-kill for what it needs to do but we all know about "project creep" :D

Snagged some weights also over the weekend! :thumbs:

Edited by Brucepts, April 27, 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 29, 2016 - 10:01 AM

I have a 6 ft unit for my Ford 1500 that is very similar. It does not work well for grass but I find it to be very good for grooming my 1/4 mile lane. It moves the gravel without moving too much, by allowing it to filter out between the tines.

• Alc and Brucepts have said thanks