#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,750 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Since we're so far apart, I vote you keep everything. If you decide to sell anything, please remember they're worth a lot.

• Bolens 1000 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#17 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 02:16 AM

Hi Tom!
Congrats on the new job!
I commuted 93 for a few years back in the 90's.
But, I was going from Boston to Nashua.
You couldn't pay me enough to go the other way!
My nephew commutes route 2 into town from the west.i think that's a better choice.
If you don't need to bring tools with you, the commuter rail system may be best.
As for tractors, just keep the Ford 195. Sell the rest.
I like the idea of the POD. You could drop it on my land if you like.

Joe
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#18 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 04:09 AM

Congrats tom. new jobs are always exiting and nerve racking.  you need to do what you feel comfortable with on the tractors, I would sell the common stuff and keep the hard to find things narrow it down to one load in a truck and trailer to keep it simple.  One thing I do know is I have plenty of room here for that steel cab hot rod I see in the pics !!!!!!  It would look good in my garage.  If there is a way I can help just ask, even if you just need a place to stash some stuff for a few weeks.

Pete

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:02 AM

Good luck with the new job ! As far as keeping or selling you mentioned you didn't have a lot of time so I would think it would be quicker to keep them , unless you sell as a package and it might not give you the money they are really worth .

#20 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hey Tom, best of luck with the new job and move, I agree with Jason's idea and also Alan's but if they must go you know I have room for the PC. Hank.

#21 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 05:54 AM

First, CONGRATS on the new job!!

Personally I think its going to be just as much of a pain moving them as it would be to sell them! Keeping this in mind, if a buyer senses you are pinched to make a sale, he/she will use that to their advantage which could result in lower offers.

Tractors for ME at least seem easier to sell, than they are to initially find, so down the road replacing them maybe more difficult than just hauling the ones you have??

I have moved around a bit the last 1 1/2 years, and found the temp storage units to be life savers in situations like this.

If this decision was up to me, I would try to keep them, and find storage for them.

Good luck in which ever direction you take.

Edited by stiemmy, March 25, 2016 - 08:26 AM.

• MH81 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#22 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:31 AM

Congrats on the new job, what ever you let go you will want back eventually.  That said, I being an ex street rodder I am curious as to the vehicle in the pic.  

30 model A tudor all stock body complete with original fenders. A new frame with a 5.0 ,AOD, and 9" rear on 4 bar front and rear suspension. Tube axle on leafs up front and adjustable coilovers out back.

• wvbuzzmaster, MFDAC and Traill95 have said thanks

#23 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:32 AM

93 is direct but it gets plugged real quick and is a bear in the pm commute,then again to be on site for 7 you would be leavin esrlier than most, parking is the big problem, my son in law will usually park at the hall and then take the subway or bus to the job site..feeding a meter can get to be a pain, living in southern nh is almost like livin in mass with all the transplants in that area, but still better and more laid back.if i leave the shop,down by plymouth ma, at 630 i might get to the job site in boston by 800 on average,but that 2 lane highway,93 is 3to4 the majority of the way.boss would like me to leave by 530 but that isnt gonna happen.

Hours are most likely 6:00- 2:30 or 7:00-3:30 depending on the site. The parking and getting around will be frustrating at first, hope the guys I work with help out there.

#24 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:36 AM

tom, best of luck with the move. I wouldn't rush to sell. I would look into one of those pods. load it up and have it dropped off. I know people that had good luck with them and they are reasonably priced

I am thinking one of those instant garages like you have , so I can reuse it when I find the right place.

#25 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Keep them ALL! Look at how hard it was to get them all, if you sell them, they will only be more expensive when you go to buy them back so to speak

#26 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:37 AM

Hope the move and job are what you hoped for.
As for the collection, I would keep the bucket list tractors and advertise the ones you don't have any attachment to or know you can replace.
Just save room for the Bolens.

That's already figured in. (Bolens)

Bigger issue is how long it's going to take me to get to plow day in the future! :smilewink:

• MH81 said thank you

#27 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hey Tom, best of luck with the new job and move, I agree with Jason's idea and also Alan's but if they must go you know I have room for the PC. Hank.

Jason already owns the Porter Cable , but..... I have the snowblower from the P/C here if anyone is interested????

#28 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,803 Thanks
  • 2,205 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:45 AM

Hi Tom!
Congrats on the new job!
I commuted 93 for a few years back in the 90's.
But, I was going from Boston to Nashua.
You couldn't pay me enough to go the other way!
My nephew commutes route 2 into town from the west.i think that's a better choice.
If you don't need to bring tools with you, the commuter rail system may be best.
As for tractors, just keep the Ford 195. Sell the rest.
I like the idea of the POD. You could drop it on my land if you like.

Joe

I may take you up on that Joe. My friends wife may not appreciate my large collection, I may only keep a few  there that blend into his collection.   The commute is something I'm used to working toward New York . I hear Boston is worse though. Price you pay for a better job and better home life I guess.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#29 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:13 AM

New Job, New Life, Sell them all!  Start with another brand later if still any interest after settled in awhile. I'm trying to cut down and make it only a few to keep......still working on that.....but getting smaller this summer.  Too old and loosing interest in working on them as much now. Just want runners and upkeep a bit, not rebuilders.  The Dark Side!

#30 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:34 AM

I am thinking one of those instant garages like you have , so I can reuse it when I find the right place.

I can't really complain about it. it with stood hurricane Sandy too.
1. they are really cheap
2. the covers only last 4-5 years, I have had that one there since 2007, it's on its 3rd cover
3. you have to watch the snow load. in the winter in I add extra pvc pipe across the roof.
4. the zipper doors are kinda of pain one other nice thing is its like a green house even on the coldest winter days it builds up heat.
but heck almost 10 years and less than 1000 bucks very cheap storage. you saw I fit my mustang gt and 4 tractors in it