39 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:10 PM

I'll get to the tractor part soon, just a little background.

As some of you know, I've made some work changes recently, well they keep changing. After 16 years  the changes I made weren't enough, so I decided I had enough and went to a new company. Being a union employee I lost no benefits or pay by doing this. Everything seemed good, till I start on a job site and the general contractor has a crew from Boston doing the overseeing, ( we are working as a sub directly for them). They ask me to come work for them in Boston!

So,,,, I plan on taking the job.Just waiting for confirmation I have it. That means MOVING !! I plan to move to New Hampshire and commute, for several reasons not important to this story. So the move will be a couple hundred miles +/-.

Here's what is: Do I move my entire collection with me or sell what I'm not sure what I want to do with ,and keep the ones I really want? This includes attachments. The 195 with the loader is coming with me! It's not going to be for sale :D  I have about a dozen tractors  with plenty of attachments

Pic of the majority but not all of them

IMG_1775.jpg  

All comments are welcome , good or bad.  I am torn  right now, with all the big decisions I've already had  to make, my mind is jelly and overloaded.  The plan is to be settled in before school starts for my son, so if I don't find a home we will be renting till I find the right one. So this will happen pretty quick. I do have an option to put them at a friends in Maine but that'll be a big project too. Time is not a luxury I have right now, that's part of the problem.

Ideas??

Thanks Tom

• grnspot110, wvbuzzmaster, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Keep what you want, then think on the rest and keep it all, all depends on what part of nh a d what you end up with for room. With the boom goin on in boston should be a good move,lot of bar and structual iron going up and tons of site work if your laborer or machine op. Back to the questionget rid of what gets used the least first go slow with the weed out and be sure...good luck with the job and move when it happens
  • boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:23 PM

O k  first , congrat's on  the new job . I  have too  change gears on the job front went from being out in the field for 30 years as

commercial carpenter . To estimator/ Project manager. easer on the body , but the head heck's . Now we all need to think about

the selling of this collections , If money is not an issue don't sell . We all know how hard you work on it , and you won't be able to

replace it . So in short "to late" I vote no . good luck on your move.

Patrick.

#4 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Oh if thast a portef cable in the back id be interested

#5 case442 ONLINE  

case442

• Member No: 2504
  • 663 Thanks
  • 405 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Decisions decisions. I havent been put into your situation so I cannot give a solid response. After reading your post I believe I would try to put your collection at your friends home if possible. Just as if you loose a spouse or loved one, take some time before you make any decisions that you may be sorry for in the future. I realize we here are discussing your GT collection and you most likely have more important decisions and situations to take care of but maybe try to ease into and solid decisions that may impact your hobby. It looks like you have a fine collection and it would be nice to se you keep it that way.

On a side note and most importantly CONGRATULATIONS on your new position and good luck with your future endeavors. Pray on it it always helps me.

Take care,

Mike

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Oh if thast a portef cable in the back id be interested

It was, Jableman has that in his collection now.

The contractor has 4 BILLION of signed work in front of him. The I-93 corridor was recommended as the best/ fastest route in, so that's where i'm looking towards.

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Pray on it it always helps me.

Take care,

Mike

That's helped with the decisions so far, Thanks 

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Wow , big desicion and certainly a big change, first, worked on the Foxboro stadium and the Saybrook (? Sorry, memory) power house up there , LOVED that area , but Woo Wee was cost of living high. Never made a move always worked out of the Union Halls , usually a couple of buddies and we rented if a long term job. Spent 15 yrs on the road , working the big jobs, when the mills and our nukes where done. Had an offer from Bechtel to stay steady but moving around was unattractive.
I'll offer this is there anyway they can be stored until your sure about this move, 6 months? If not figure out if your new place can accomadate your collection , don't make any hasty decisions unless you where intending to downsize anyways, everything else that will be going on I'd figure out the toughest desicions first, prioritize, then at last let circumstances play into what you would like, and what you will ultimately have to do, Good luck Brother

#9 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Congrats on the new job, what ever you let go you will want back eventually.  That said, I being an ex street rodder I am curious as to the vehicle in the pic.  

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#10 Mtypython OFFLINE  

Mtypython
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:50 PM

93 is direct but it gets plugged real quick and is a bear in the pm commute,then again to be on site for 7 you would be leavin esrlier than most, parking is the big problem, my son in law will usually park at the hall and then take the subway or bus to the job site..feeding a meter can get to be a pain, living in southern nh is almost like livin in mass with all the transplants in that area, but still better and more laid back.if i leave the shop,down by plymouth ma, at 630 i might get to the job site in boston by 800 on average,but that 2 lane highway,93 is 3to4 the majority of the way.boss would like me to leave by 530 but that isnt gonna happen.

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Congratulations on the new job Tom! When it comes to moving, I have little experience with it to give any constructive advice. I have lived on the same acre since 1972 except for two years after we got married. Then we bought the place from my Mom and moved back on to the acre. We got a new modular in 2006 and that move was bad enough, never again!

In reality (hindsight) we would be a lot better off financially if we would have moved many years ago when we were young, but family obligations kept us here.

I think it's great that you are taking this step to improve your situation. Just keep what won't cause difficulties taking care of your new start. Hobby stuff can be replaced, but family stuff is most important to keep.

DAC

• boyscout862, TomLGT195 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:12 PM

tom, best of luck with the move. I wouldn't rush to sell. I would look into one of those pods. load it up and have it dropped off. I know people that had good luck with them and they are reasonably priced
  • MH81, TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks

#13 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:12 PM

What ever brings you peace and you can live with..

#14 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Congrats on the new job!

Sell? Tractor? They don't belong in the same sentence!!!

In all seriousness, keep your favourites and the rarer ones plus the attachments...

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Hope the move and job are what you hoped for.
As for the collection, I would keep the bucket list tractors and advertise the ones you don't have any attachment to or know you can replace.
Just save room for the Bolens.
  • boyscout862, TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks