Zerk replacing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 02:54 PM

I have to replace the fitting on a deck spindle, the hole is stripped. I'm entertaining cleaning i.e. degreasing the hole, filling it with J-B, re-drilling and tapping. Good idea or no? J-B claims to be tapable but question its durability. Alternative would be to fill it with J-B and drill-retap a new hole elsewhere. Seems a waste to replace a spindle for this one problem when it seems usable otherwise.

Another point on this subject. The local store help is not really of much help. Anyone know of a tap-drill-zerk complete kit? Zerks are available but have a heck of time interpreting what drill and tap combo to use, i.e. SAE or Metric. Older Craftsman so it's assumed they are SAE.

Edited by Phluphy, March 24, 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#2 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Do you have the room to put in an adapter? All you would have to do is drill and tap the hole bigger, use the adapter, then thread the zerk into that. 

Just an examples, not sure specifically what sizes you would need, and I'm sure a hardware store would sell smaller quantities. Just a thought. Good luck.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 03:57 PM

I bet the zerk is a 1/4-28 thread and that takes a #3 bit or 7/32, 3/16 will work in a pinch. If you have the spindle out you can braze the hole shut and then drill and tap it. I have not had very good luck with JB Weld for things like that. The other thing would be to get a bigger zerk, I can't remember what the next size is but it would be closer to 5/16. Farm implement stores sell them by the item. The other thing you might try is a metric zerk it might fit tight enough.

• Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#4 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 04:01 PM

look closely as some of the zerks are pressed in. If so it can be tapped to 1/4"x 28 tpi.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,397 Thanks
  • 3,814 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 04:48 PM

I just use a press in zerk with J.B. Weld to hold it secure. 

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Same here a lot of mine are pressed in...if so just tap it for your new one.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,701 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:27 PM

The drive in ones look to have threads, but they're really ribs.
If you have to abandon the hole, go up a size, and put in a really short bolt with some lock tight.
If you can't find another place to put in a zerk, drill and tap the bolt. Remember, you don't need a big hole all the way thru, 1/8" thru for the grease, then right size drill and tap in the head.