FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:43 PM

This is an older restoration from last year, but it was never posted here. I figured I would do so and attach a link to the sticky with the parts info.

This mower deck was in need of a ground up restoration, the bearings were shot, and the deck rough. To start, I needed to remove the spindles, but the pulleys were stuck. I tired to sneak them off with electrolysis, but in the end I had to just cut them off with my grinder.

mower-1.jpg

pulley-fail.jpg

With those removed, I now had the deck stripped bare. I was able to find the missing top shield on e-bay and armed with these, it was time to sandblast the deck. Once blasted, any dents and heavy rust pitting that would show was filled with body filler and primed.

mower-2.jpg

mower-3.jpg

deck.jpg

mower-9.jpg

mower-15.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:31 PM.

• rjl said thank you

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:52 PM

Now, once the deck was primed, it was entrusted to a friend who sprays in truck bed liners. By luck, he just happened to be doing a red truck liner and sprayed the liner where I had outlined with a sharpie.

But, while this was out, I took the time to restore the spindles. They were torn down, sandblasted and powder-coated. I took this time to install grease fittings as well. The spindles received all new bearings and seals, and the needle bearing was upgraded to a 1" wide bearing for better contact. Throughout this restoration, all new stainless steel hardware was used.

The bearings & seals were bought at Accurate Bearing Supply:

Please see this thread for bearing and seal information: http://gardentractor...ngs-seals-6065/

mower-5.jpg

mower-8.jpg

mower-8c.jpg

With those finished, the mower deck was picked up with it's fresh bed liner. This was done to keep the rust away where the wet grass sits under the shield. The underside was not coated, more on that later. You can see the liner perfectly matches the shield, right down to the bolt tabs. This keeps the shield from rubbing and creating rust too. (Plus, when I need to re-paint, I can just mask off the liner and paint only the outer edge. This way all the belts and pulleys do not need to be removed.

mower-25.jpg

mower-27.jpg

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:59 PM

Now before painting, I wanted to brush a coat of semi-gloss black Rustoilzum rusty metal paint. This has held up well in the past, so it at least helps keep the rust at bay.

mower-29.jpg

Then it was time to mask the liner and give it a coat of paint. I used the Tractor Supply paint, as I do plan to repaint this pretty much every year or two to keep it looking nice. I mean, it IS my main mower!

mower-30.jpg

mower-31.jpg

mower-32.jpg

All the other little parts and brackets were also restored and painted at this time. One dry, it was time to bolt it up and give it a try!

mower-33.jpg

mower-34.jpg

mower-35.jpg

mower-36.jpg

mower-37.jpg

And there we have it! It's due to be painted again to fix up the scratches on the sides, but it mows great and leaves a very good lawn cut and the roller does a good job stripping too. Thanks all! :wave:

Edited by FirefyterEmt, June 29, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

• NUTNDUN, caseguy, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Outstanding.
What more can one say.

#5 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 03:52 PM

Awesome job!

#6 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:48 AM

Wow, very nice job!

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks guys! I must say, it mows wonderful too! I find that the flat discharge shape will toss the cut grass further and not show as "windrows" if the grass gets heavy.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 05:30 PM

I love the way the MF610 mower deck mows. Especially with the roller all the way across the back. It stripes the grass just like the new fancy zero turns, granted maybe not at 9 mph. I got my bearings yesterday and got them installed. Gotta paint the spindles yet, mower deck was mostly stripped down and then primed and painted.

#9 Wolverine OFFLINE  

Wolverine

• Member No: 4138
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 04:01 PM

That is one Awesome paint job, for sure! Cudos!!!!

#10 RubiconJoey OFFLINE  

RubiconJoey

• Member No: 3818
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 23, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Looks awesome, love the bed liner/gloss paint look/function. Good looking mower as well....

#11 fitzsfixit OFFLINE  

fitzsfixit

• Member No: 6870
  • 7 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 03:38 PM

awesome idea with the bed liner. i think im going to do my mf12 like that, but bed liner the underdeck and back roller. real nice machine you have.

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Just my opinion here, but I would not do the underside myself. A yearly coat of some rustoilzum rusty metal black will be a better choice. The rough texture of the liner will make the grass stick to the deck even more than it does now. The roller should not be a problem, but with normal use, the light rust is worn off and it keeps a somewhat clean metal look. The main reason I did the top side was to keep the grass that will sit under the cover, from rusting the deck out. If you look at my deck in the photos early on, you will see just how deep the rust pitting was, mostly under that cover. After sandblasting to remove the rust, and a rusty metal primer converter, the liner should prevent it from rotting. I do know it's always packed with grass when I remove the cover!

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 29, 2014 - 10:33 PM

Just a little bump for the new people... The photos are fixed and working again!

• MH81 said thank you