• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 06:34 AM

I was told that spring suspensions on zero-turns doesn't really do much for ride, too stiff. AND, how could you keep cut even and not scalping if the machine moved up/down all the time, like would do on my rough yard?  Most didn't have shocks, but see more now having those with springs over. I was looking at Simplicity's last summer too, think they are pretty good unit for the money.  SO many models any more, hard to pick one to be happy with.

My neighbor has a zero turn and I adapted a pair of Sears seat springs onto it for him. He mows about 12 acres with it.

• Alc, pharmer and old coot have said thanks

#47 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 07:07 AM

Well I can tell you after parking my posterior on it for two mowing seasons and at two and a half hours a crack it is a HUGE difference over what I previously mowed with (see pics ) as a matter of fact as much as I like a Bolens these two are probably going on the auction block so I can buy another simplicity to use at my mom's .
Simplicity touts their quality of cut and it's no BS , they DO NOT SCALP unless you drop a wheel in a ditch or similar. I bought this unit to take over mowing duties from my Legacy XL when I put the FEL on it ( it's hiding in the back ground in pic) and it was superior in cut and comfort of ride compared to the Duratrac and 1669 . Again I'm a Bolens guy but Simplicity has it going on with there units either Z turns or GT's

The speed at what you can mow at and still achieve quality of cut is amazing, throw maneuverability in and I no longer will mow with anything else.

I can mow the yard at our township building which is around 1 1/2 acres in just shy of an hour and it is a ROUGH yard.  It never scalps and like you said I am not all beat up when I get off either.  Ours is a 25hp 52" cut.

• pharmer and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#48 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:00 AM

Let me clear something up, my Simplicity built Craftsman is the old design, it's about 10 years old but was a design from the 90's, it's the older ZT series and does not have suspension. The way I worded my post might have been confusing. I would love springs and things, but I don't have them.

Mine is like this;

s-l1600.jpg

• pharmer, WrenchinOnIt, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#49 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I had the same mower as Chopperhed once. It was a great machine, but was used commercially and was worn out. Smooth ride. A little hard to steer. The drive pulley broke in half from the belt rubbing on it. It broke in half twice at the middle where it articulates. So that was the end of that mower.

Noel

#50 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Our church used to have a Ferris IS 5000, big old girl she was with independent suspension front/drive wheels and the seat also had some sort of spring ride on it also. I can say after mowing the back 40 that is rougher than Daniel's corn fields on plow day, my back appreciated that suspension. The deck was a 72" though and no way getting around scalping some areas depending on how you cut.

It was heavy though and out hills we too steep and it was very unstable around the pond so we traded for a Grasshopper 721D. It's a stiffer ride, but much more stable and nibble getting around and under trees/bushes.

I use the GH at church, my personal stuff is whatever is running, usually the Craftsman 42", the 38" Weedeater or once I am done with the front plow/bucket, I slap the 42" deck on the Sears 16/6 and go to town.  I have a 48" Honda walk behind that I can't get running right and several other small box store riders that need repair.

#51 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Suspension??  Who needs Suspension!!  It's for sissies!!   :deadhorse:

I've found my mower for as long as it will run or until I can't find parts..  My JD 425 AWS!!  (See my avatar)

It amazes me with the cut quality and how it breezes through the rough stuff too!   

• pharmer said thank you

#52 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 01:07 PM

Suspension??  Who needs Suspension!!  It's for sissies!!   :deadhorse:

I've found my mower for as long as it will run or until I can't find parts..  My JD 425 AWS!!  (See my avatar)

It amazes me with the cut quality and how it breezes through the rough stuff too!

Hmm, bring your JD and yourself down to my "yard" we will see about "sissy's"
Maybe you can find a "caption this " about 6' 4" 240lb riding a Simplicity Z turn, it might be me!
Then all can poke fun.
  • pharmer, WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#53 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 03:15 PM

My yard's too hilly for a zero turn or I'd have one of those too..  Just sayin..  

Mental picture now assimilated..   :hitting_self_roller:

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#54 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:34 PM

It's all good, I like the old school retro stuff, even own a few, never paid much attention to ZTR's , they just aren't a tractor. Got a chance to use one and got hooked. I don't enjoy seat time on anything any more, sooner it's over the better. I like wrenching on the Bolens line fixing what ails 'em , painting and shining them up and occasionally saddling one just for S & G's , the Z turn is a nice tool to have IMO ,but do conform to the "to each his own" line of reasoning. If it has four wheels and can internally combust and self propel ,I like it , basically color blind, have a favorite brand but I like them all. Peace. Enjoy your Easter holiday
  • IHCubGuy and propane1 have said thanks

#55 Mitchkrama OFFLINE  

Mitchkrama
  • Member No: 81892
  • 8 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:36 PM

I have a ferris IS2000z with the independent suspension that takes a LOT of the curse out of my family's acre and a half that was never really fine graded to begging with back when the house was built and has seen over 30 frost heaving New England winters since. It shortened the job from 2hrs+ with a compact tractor to under 45 mins

It's different from the IS1500z in that the 1500 has a solid axl that the front casters share that pivots in the middle and is sprung on either side, where-as the 2000 has an independent front suspension and coil-over for each caster.

In terms of scalping, at moderate speeds the machine cuts smooth over rough terrain, however going over a hump too fast waill cause the machine to bottom out on the decent. Coming to a fast stop will also cause this bottom out effect, but once you learn how to regulate your speed over different areas you won't have an issue. If you ever have a chance to demo one you will find out that NOTHING ELSE rides smoother for the money.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Mitchkrama, March 24, 2016 - 05:44 PM.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#56 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:07 AM

I agree Ferris is the best riding ZT out there, but you pay for it. Our 5000 cost us $15k in 2005. It was great though with its 32 Hp diesel Cat and could cut at 12-13 mph, just not stable on our steep hills

#57 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 07:48 AM

I just missed a Kubota ZD 21, 1400 hours, clean as new almost, 60" deck, sold from an estate for $1850.00! I was sick.

#58 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:02 AM

old school, with the 854

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151113_152813.jpg

• MGP59DB and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#59 Fordman1955 OFFLINE  

Fordman1955
  • Member No: 81902
  • 9 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Ford lgt 100 and cub cadet 1282.Rebuilt both decks and they work great. The guy at the mower shop tries to sell me a ztr to cut my seat time. I told him I needed that when I was working. Now that I'm retired I can take my time.

#60 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 10:26 PM

I hope to be using this(hey dont laugh...its possible..)IMG_20160330_170045_zps5sl3lhb1.jpg

• limebuzz and old coot have said thanks