• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:14 PM

I only have the Craftsman 4000 ready at this point! It's normally used inside the fence! The 322D takes care of the bigger areas!

• pharmer said thank you

#32 crossarm OFFLINE  

crossarm
  • Member No: 80551
  • 58 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:29 PM

scag tiger cat

• pharmer said thank you

#33 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I like the idea of the springs on the simplicity zero turn.

Noel
  • pharmer and toppop52 have said thanks

#34 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I like the idea of the springs on the simplicity zero turn.
Noel

Me too, but mine is an old design that beats the crap out of you when you go fast.
  • pharmer, WNYTractorTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#35 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:42 PM

I was told that spring suspensions on zero-turns doesn't really do much for ride, too stiff. AND, how could you keep cut even and not scalping if the machine moved up/down all the time, like would do on my rough yard?  Most didn't have shocks, but see more now having those with springs over. I was looking at Simplicity's last summer too, think they are pretty good unit for the money.  SO many models any more, hard to pick one to be happy with.

• pharmer said thank you

#36 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:44 PM

'70 WH Electro12, original engine

• pharmer and MolonLabe have said thanks

#37 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:59 PM

Last few years, I've been using my Noma Canadiana Articulated. ( Stiga Park 2000e)I hung a 42"deck off the front of it, and it can make short work of anything reasonably flat.

When it dies, or I sell it, I'll go back to my little ford LT75.

Attached Thumbnails

• 036.JPG

• pharmer, propane1 and MolonLabe have said thanks

#38 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Personally, I'm not a big fan of zeros, had a Bush Hog 2554 for nine years, good mower, just not my thing!

I much prefer the older front deck mowers, first a JD F 525, then about this time last year, I found an F725:  HPIM1761.JPG

Takes me about an hour per mowing, same as the Bush Hog!

#39 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Me too, but mine is an old design that beats the crap out of you when you go fast.

I was told that spring suspensions on zero-turns doesn't really do much for ride, too stiff. AND, how could you keep cut even and not scalping if the machine moved up/down all the time, like would do on my rough yard?  Most didn't have shocks, but see more now having those with springs over. I was looking at Simplicity's last summer too, think they are pretty good unit for the money.  SO many models any more, hard to pick one to be happy with.

The spring suspension is a Ferris design that got adopted to Simplicity's after Briggs Power Products bought both of them.  We use an IS1500 Ferris at work and I gotta say it DOES make a difference for sure.  The cut is really not affected by it from what I have seen and you can run a LOT faster than one without.  Hustler has a setup for their machines called "flex forks" that have a torsion spring setup in the front wheel forks.  My buddy has these on his X one that he mows commercially with and he is pleased with them too.

For my own personal mower I bought a new 36" Hustler Raptor last year.  So far I love it.  Even if it is only their entry level machine it cut my mowing time in half from what it had been with my Cub Cadets.

• pharmer, WrenchinOnIt and oldedeeres have said thanks

#40 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:40 PM

For most of the 3.5 acres I mow it with a Kubota BX2360. I use a 28" Snapper RER I repowered with a 14.5 hp Briggs to mow my ditch. Occasionally I will mow the front yard with my Snapper 48" yard cruiser.
  • pharmer said thank you

#41 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:41 PM

1990 Craftsman with 44" deck. I think he is getting worn out with the 3 acre mowing's.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080271.JPG

#42 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:52 PM

99.9% of the zero turns around here seem to be Ferris, simplicity, or snapper pro, but that's probably because they're built near by in Munnsville, NY, even a few of the old Ferris mowers with the full sheet metal body.

• pharmer said thank you

#43 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:00 PM

We use Craftsman's, 20 and 18 hp, with 44" decks. Her's is slower hates when I lap her around the 2 acres of our yard.

Her's is the purdy one:Site pic1.jpg 2nd restore project.jpg

#44 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 03:54 AM

My Panzer T 70 B, and it's still making money doing it !

#45 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 06:17 AM

Well I can tell you after parking my posterior on it for two mowing seasons and at two and a half hours a crack it is a HUGE difference over what I previously mowed with (see pics ) as a matter of fact as much as I like a Bolens these two are probably going on the auction block so I can buy another simplicity to use at my mom's .
Simplicity touts their quality of cut and it's no BS , they DO NOT SCALP unless you drop a wheel in a ditch or similar. I bought this unit to take over mowing duties from my Legacy XL when I put the FEL on it ( it's hiding in the back ground in pic) and it was superior in cut and comfort of ride compared to the Duratrac and 1669 . Again I'm a Bolens guy but Simplicity has it going on with there units either Z turns or GT's

The spring suspension is a Ferris design that got adopted to Simplicity's after Briggs Power Products bought both of them.  We use an IS1500 Ferris at work and I gotta say it DOES make a difference for sure.  The cut is really not affected by it from what I have seen and you can run a LOT faster than one without.  Hustler has a setup for their machines called "flex forks" that have a torsion spring setup in the front wheel forks.  My buddy has these on his X one that he mows commercially with and he is pleased with them too.

For my own personal mower I bought a new 36" Hustler Raptor last year.  So far I love it.  Even if it is only their entry level machine it cut my mowing time in half from what it had been with my Cub Cadets.

The speed at what you can mow at and still achieve quality of cut is amazing, throw maneuverability in and I no longer will mow with anything else.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-8592-0-26447000-1417275412.jpg

• KennyP, IHCubGuy and MolonLabe have said thanks