What do you cut grass with?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Went out yesterday and cut the first grass of the year! Actually used it as a chance to get everybody out and running, check things out from the winter storage, adjust/oil/tinker, make sure decks and belts were good, etc.
So several of the tractors got a chance to cut some grass and awake from the winter slumber.
Going from seat to seat to seat gave me chance to compare......

For cutting the YARD (true grass that we want to look good, lol) I think my old faithful Deere LX173 has the best cut and easiest to use of what I have. It's just a lawn tractor with a 38 inch deck, but turns quick, doesn't scalp, good on fuel, etc.

The 2320 wont fit in the yard, because of the ROPS (low trees), and its too big anyway. The Ford LGT does good utility work (probably second best in the yard) but the quality of cut is not as good (but its much better in the field with the bigger deck). My Deere 110 cuts good, but it doesn't turn very sharp - end up having to 3 point sharp turns. etc......

I eventually want to get a zero turn for the yard section of the property, but to many other things in line in front of it at the moment...

So what's your FAVORITE mowing machine?
  • grnspot110, Alc, pharmer and 6 others have said thanks

#2 cpg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:07 AM

My 1970 Jacobson LT 750. Great little tractor; just don't make them like they used to. Everything is built well and has the nice smooth mechanical feel not the little electric switches everywhere. Barely hit the starter button and that old Briggs is going.

• pharmer, WrenchinOnIt, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78477
  • 665 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:22 AM

all I've ever used for seriously used for mowing was a cub ltx1045 that I could slide the front end on. Front end was too light with the turf tires. Not my problem anymore though... I also used my dads mtd cub that I dislike, my Sears crapsman that cut nice but doesn't steer worth a darn or run properly at anything past 3/4 throttle.

I want to try my new john deere 300 this year though... Should be a better cut!
  • pharmer, WrenchinOnIt, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:27 AM

I do all of the mowing with my old '79 C-101 with a 42" rear discharge deck. Best mowing machine I've ever owned.

• pharmer, WrenchinOnIt, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 3,211 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:28 AM

I still use my Craftsman badged, Simplicity zero turn, typical great Simplicity cut quality.

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,172 Thanks
  • 2,253 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:46 AM

1 of 4 Push mowers for now till I get a deck for the old Sears SS14.Takes me a couple of hours to mow but I really don't mind it unless my back is acting up.Gets me out of the house.

I'm looking at a couple riders up the road that I might be able to get really cheap but there nothing special.Sold my good riding mower to my brother cheap when he needed 1.

• KennyP, pharmer, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 pidjones OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:00 AM

I'm actually planning my first mow of the season for when I get home this evening. Up until last year, I sat back and watched the oldest daughter mow with her lawn maintenance crew. Her husband passed away last Spring, and I had to take back over the mowing with our old 1980 John Deere 216 and 48" deck. Did a great job, even though it had been a decade since it was last started (still using a now 12 year-old battery). About 2.5 acres with little flat land. Last Fall I bought a 640 hour JD 345 with 54" deck for mowing, and have retired the 216 to tilling duty. The 345 is so much faster, easier, has better traction, and easier to drive. Saves time I can use for motorcycle riding!

I still have to use a self-propelled on the front yard which is pretty small, steep, and the wife gets upset when I accidentally mow her flower beds she has strewn all over it. It is heavily shaded and is mainly moss, now. Hey! moss is green and plush and needs so little care - why can't I let it all go to moss? :D

Edited by pidjones, March 23, 2016 - 11:06 AM.

• KennyP, pharmer, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Grumpy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 440
  • 641 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:08 AM

I use a john deere x300 with lug tires. Works grate.

• pharmer, oldedeeres, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#9 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:18 AM

My son.....
  • Gtractor, Alc, EricFromPa and 9 others have said thanks

#10 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,876 Thanks
  • 3,112 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Mf 7 is very good at cutting and sharp turning radius. 34" deck, Ford LT 81, 34" cut, cuts just as good as the mf7, but does not turn as sharp, but has a more comfortable ride. JD 140 is good, hard steering thou. Ford LGT 145 is good, 3 turns from lock to lock on the steering, makes for arm work out, Ford YT 16 H is good, steering pulls out of your hands some times when hit a bump, MF 12 is good, MF 14 is good, Yard King is good, but doesn't steer sharp enough, Sears cut very well, but doesn't steer sharp enough, and a 1951 Fergusom tractor with a 6' rear discharge finish mower.
My favorite one .???? I don't know ! They all have their goods and bads.

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 681 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:24 AM

The past 19 summers I've mowed with a Craftsman lawn tractor with 46" mulching deck.  It's been patched together more times than I can count.

Over the winter I adapted a 48" Deere deck to my Speedex.  Hope it works OK and I can never get on that Craftsman again.

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,536 Thanks
  • 3,073 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:27 AM

After finally giving up on the seven hour job of mowing with a push mower we got the J.D. STX38 and I love it. Problem is we planned the trees and gardens to accommodate the 38" cut, so pretty well have to stay with that size mower or go back to doing the push mower thing again in the tighter spots. Seems the smallest mowers now are mostly 42" cut, and that's a bit too wide to fit a lot of the places I want to go. I guess it's back to me getting the exercise and "Little John" sitting on the sidelines watching, lol.
  • KennyP, pharmer, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,454 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:29 AM

Usually mow with my dad's red Cub Cadet 782, or one of my push mowers.

• pharmer and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#14 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 873 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:34 AM

1993 Montgomery ward 10/32. Or my snapper . Sometimes one of my suburban or my gt 18
  • pharmer, WrenchinOnIt and old coot have said thanks

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I just let it grow for now...till I get the Lowboy going.

• KennyP, pharmer, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks