#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 03:12 PM

Find a tin can, you have a rain funnel attached to your motor........

• RAJ said thank you

#17 Jmotuzick OFFLINE  

Jmotuzick
  • Member No: 54567
  • 33 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 05:39 PM

For sure get a can over that exhaust! It should have cast aluminum with spline axles. I love mine, I put a 3 point from extreme on the back and use it for plow day. I converted my to cast iron when I found a broken bolt holding the rear to the frame.
  • RAJ said thank you

#18 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 26, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Find a tin can, you have a rain funnel attached to your motor........

It had a stainless stack, I was going to spin the exhaust back horizontal but just took the stack off and put a bucket over it so I could put a cover on the tractor until I have a chance to work on it. I didn't want to make it too obvious that I brought another tractor home...
  • BNK said thank you

#19 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 29, 2016 - 08:21 AM

A couple things to look for. There's a little filter screen at the bottom of the tank that commonly gets plugged up by gunk. Many of the smoker guys have purposely removed this screen since there's other adequate filteration. The lines could have gunk in them. You may also want to bleed the system per the steps in the manual. I had a similar problem on my 1572 it would run for awhile and the quit as if I shut the fuel off. That ended up being the fuel pump was intermittently working. If u order any parts showing the kubota part number, get them from a kubota source they'll be cheaper than cubs price.

Do you know where I can find a copy of the manual for steps on how to bleed the fuel system? I looked in the manuals section and found one for chassis service but didn't see anything in it for fuel systems.

#20 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:26 PM

Sorry I just now saw your question.  I'll have to look my memory is not cooperating since I don't have a diesel anymore.

• RAJ said thank you

#21 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 05:40 PM

I managed to get this tank in the garage today. Started by pulling the seat, fender pan and driveshaft cover. I disconnected both fuel lines and removed the fuel shut-off valve. The shut-off screen is gone and there was crud blocking the fuel. I shot compressed air through the lines and hooked them back up. I asked the previous owner the correct position for the sight glass filter valve and he told me to bleed the system using the port next to the injection pump fuel line.

When I turned on the key, the fuel pump was pushing fuel out of the port. I hit the glow plugs for about 20 seconds and cranked it. It fired and died a couple times so I cranked it for about 10 seconds and it stayed running. I drove it around for a few minutes as best I could without the fenders on it. It seemed to sputter and miss intermittently so I checked the fuel filter and the fuel pump output. Both seemed fine. I started it again and ran it for about 10 minutes or so and it did not sputter again after that.

It does not fill the sight glass full of fuel, only about 1/4. Is this normal? I am excited that it runs pretty well. It is pretty snorty and even rolls a little coal when you crack open the throttle.

623141eedac1cd0226269a41fce3e66a.jpg6ff6632c56e97665e1a946325adc52ae.jpgd817eb47a2b7069ec1dfd6f8c894c214.jpg5cf00224b8e883e6e3ac4a46b116c430.jpg
  • CRFarnsworth said thank you

#22 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 11:34 PM

You're that far, just replace the fuel lines, they go bad and start to deteriorate from the inside. Not worth messing with the old ones.

Ain't that expensive, plus you'll have the piece of mind that there new... 

• RAJ and chieffan have said thanks

#23 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 12:26 AM

I agree, replace the lines now while it's apart and then re-bleed the system
  • RAJ and chieffan have said thanks

#24 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 01, 2016 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone know where to find the original style muffler tip for these? I found it through the cub cadet website but they want $48 or so for it. Hoping I could find another cheaper source for it. I want to use it for mowing so the upright muffler with the stainless stack is not going to work very well around the yard. I believe it did have a KB- part number.

• chieffan said thank you

#25 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Use a place that has Kubota parts as long as it's a Kubota part number.  Usually you'll leave the KB out of it when you do the search.

PIPE, MUFFLER

Price: $29.66
2-5 Day Lead Time

• RAJ said thank you

#26 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:59 AM

I managed to get this tank in the garage today. Started by pulling the seat, fender pan and driveshaft cover. I disconnected both fuel lines and removed the fuel shut-off valve. The shut-off screen is gone and there was crud blocking the fuel. I shot compressed air through the lines and hooked them back up. I asked the previous owner the correct position for the sight glass filter valve and he told me to bleed the system using the port next to the injection pump fuel line.

When I turned on the key, the fuel pump was pushing fuel out of the port. I hit the glow plugs for about 20 seconds and cranked it. It fired and died a couple times so I cranked it for about 10 seconds and it stayed running. I drove it around for a few minutes as best I could without the fenders on it. It seemed to sputter and miss intermittently so I checked the fuel filter and the fuel pump output. Both seemed fine. I started it again and ran it for about 10 minutes or so and it did not sputter again after that.

It does not fill the sight glass full of fuel, only about 1/4. Is this normal? I am excited that it runs pretty well. It is pretty snorty and even rolls a little coal when you crack open the throttle.

I took the pictures out as to not clog your thread. I just picked up my 1512 i had to do the same thing clean the tank removed the screen and installed 14' of feed and return line never thought i'd use that much line on one tractor ever.

• RAJ said thank you

#27 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:43 PM

It is definitely a lot of line for such a small tractor. I just bought 10' of line for mine but there were a couple sections that had already been replaced. I was thinking of getting a new shut-off valve also since the screen is gone. I think it would've prevented the issue it was having with sludge collecting in the valve.

So far I am very happy with it. It's fun to drive with a snorty engine and a stout hydro. I will agree with most that it isn't a good cold weather starter. It was and 40° here yesterday and even with the glow plugs lit for 30 seconds, it needed several tries before it would stay running. Always fires right up when warm though. I am anxious to start mowing with it.

Be sure to post some pictures of your 1512!

#28 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Do you know where I can find a copy of the manual for steps on how to bleed the fuel system? I looked in the manuals section and found one for chassis service but didn't see anything in it for fuel systems.

The Kubota web site has manuals for that engine.  I have a B7100 with the D750 diesel, not much different from yours.  Use those glow plugs!  Kubota recommends that above 30° f 15 - 20 seconds and below that 30 to 60 seconds.  Even at around 40° f I run the glow plugs for 20 clicks of the hour meter, which is 60 seconds on a cold start.  Warm start I run them for about 12 - 15 clicks = about 25 to 30 seconds.  Got to get that fuel chamber warm for the fuel to burn.

• RAJ said thank you

#29 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone know where to find the original style muffler tip for these? I found it through the cub cadet website but they want $48 or so for it. Hoping I could find another cheaper source for it. I want to use it for mowing so the upright muffler with the stainless stack is not going to work very well around the yard. I believe it did have a KB- part number.

Can you just rotate the muffler block 90°?  I can on the b750 engine in my 7100 Kubota

• RAJ said thank you

#30 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:15 PM

Looks like you could rotate the muffler any direction you want on this. It was upright when I bought it, I rotated it 90° forward like it originally came. I'd like to get the OE tip to dress it back up a bit.

I'll remember to give it plenty of glow time. It's mostly going to be a summer machine, very doubtful I'll try to use it for anything in the winter.