Do you like the taste of beer?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 929 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Saw a study recently that said when you are reaching your late twenties early thirties your brain makes a change that makes different synapses fire with different taste buds. Sweet sensations can sometimes bring up different emotions as can sour tastes. This change happens in a significant number of the populace but not all of us. Also said that sour tastes are more readily accessed and can overwhelm the brain making beer among other complex flavors taste bad to that certain portion of us! I too liked beer when in the Navy and now I no longer drink, all beer tastes bad to me and most give me heartburn.
  • Alc said thank you

#32 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,245 Thanks
  • 7,476 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I don't drink much from one year to the next. I'm not really a beer person anyway. Budweiser has a terrible after taste. I can't even imagine drinking Guinnes. I guess I prefer a not too dry red wine.

#33 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,846 Thanks
  • 1,067 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:34 PM

I quit drinking the hard stuff in my early twenties, Gin got me in too much trouble ( think 250 lb guy swinging naked through the trees). I've been a lager drinker ever since. I enjoy my beer, and keep my garage fridge stocked, Consumption depends on how much work I have to get done. On a dead night I can drink a few, but If I have a serious project, and I'm not stalled for some reason, I'll only drink 1 or 2.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,750 Thanks
  • 2,726 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Stop making sense, beer is the nectar of the gods, even the Pilgram's had to stop in Plymouth first for they were out of the treasured brew.
  • MH81 and tiretrx have said thanks

#35 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47950
  • 335 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:07 PM

In my youth I enjoyed many types of alcohol including beer.  About 30 years ago I was involved in a serious car accident. From this accident I spent some time in the hospital that I have very few memories of. Since this I can not stand the taste of anything with alcohol in it. I had not consumed any alcohol when this happened but the car that hit me had two in it that was extremely drunk. I have been with friends & family who enjoy drinking & many times been the designated driver. Some friends when I first said that I could not stand the taste of alcohol would try to trick me with many different concoctions but with the first sip of it my stomach would start turning & would set it down leaving it. I have no problem with others partaking in adult beverages. I some times enjoy being places where people are drinking alcohol just watching the many things they do or try to do.

• MH81, Alc, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Quit drinking over 30 yrs ago, low tolerance got me in trouble.
But will have a beer or two a year, on a hot day nothing quenches the thirst like that first half can?

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 23, 2016 - 09:10 PM.

• HDWildBill and HANKG have said thanks

#37 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Not much of a beer drinker  and then I can only drink certain beers anyway ,   I'll never forget having 2 16oz bottles of Piels Light at  my cousin house , woke up in the middle of the night with what felt like someone hitting me in the head with a hammer ,, I called off work and didn't feel good until the afternoon lol

#38 tiretrx ONLINE  

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 775 Thanks
  • 589 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 10:41 AM

Can't drink beer. Allergic to it. Every time I drink it, I break out in handcuffs.

Nah, I like my beers. I'm German, Irish and born with a hollow right leg. The deck was stacked. Nothing fancy for me, I enjoy "lite" beers when the work's done, bills paid and the truck keys are on the hanger.

• MH81, HDWildBill, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:30 PM

I like beer, but never could aquire any taste for these fancy micro brews that taste like anything from mothballs, bad fruit or burnt sticks. I just drink cheap domestic stuff and once or twice a year I have a couple of shots of Crown Royal over ice.

• propane1 said thank you

#40 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I love my beer.  I drink 2 a day mostly, not like I used to put it away as a young man.  My thing is I can't stand commercial beer.  I have developed a ..... refined taste.  I brew my own beer, to my flavor, my carb levels, my hops flavor/strength, etc.  I do a nice light blonde for warmer months, and a seriously strong IPA Barleywine for cold months.  Now, hard cider, there isn't anyone that can make it as good as mine, and man, do I love my hard cider, but only during winter months.  Ya can throw a crown or red label in the mix at anytime.

#41 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,245 Thanks
  • 7,476 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Short story - I had a Dr. prescribe Topamax for me. Okay some months later I'm in Walmart checking out and decide to get a bottle of Coke. I open it as I'm paying >gaack!< The stuff taste like crap!!! I ask the clerk "Did Coke reformulate their product again?" Didn't know.  I met a nurse who I told about the Coke. . .    she said your on Topamax aren't you? It's a known side effect.  I wonder if it can affect the taste of beer, too?

#42 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,527 Thanks
  • 6,382 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 05:46 PM

Do Cancer Chemo treatments and EVERYTHING tastes like crap, food, sodas, milk.  I live on dew and HATED that during my treatments. Now back to it, and even that is not as good as old.  I drink more Mello Yello now, easier on the guts.  I get drinks when go out to eat, usally  Magarita's or other fruity stuff.  Have just been trying some flavored beers at bowling alley, and some not too bad.