41 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:59 AM

Seeing the caption this I brought up this questions in my head.

Do you like the taste of beer?

I used to LOVE the flavor of many different types of beer.  I'd drink an ice cold beer on a hot summer day, and it was like heaven!  This was when I was in my early 20s to mid 20s

But, now into my 30s I have found my taste has completely changed.  I can not drink an entire beer without getting sick to my stomach because the taste is just horrible to me now.

I wondered if I am alone in this.  My dad said the same thing happened to him.

• Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres, Marty'70 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:05 AM

I just hit 30. My tastes have changed very much. I love IPAs, I love bitterness. That also explains how my last relationship lasted so long ;)

Anyway..... I enjoy the different types of beer today. Lager, IPA, IPLs, Stouts, etc, so many kinds done so many different ways.

• MH81, UncleWillie and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Mine is the opposite, in my younger days beer was bitter now at  66 a cold beer once in awhile is pretty good.  I drink mich ultra so that may explain some of it.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:14 AM

IDK I used to drink alot in college and even more in the Army. After I got married it dropped to a few six packs per year. Ten years ago there was a price hike and I stopped drinking it. You may have a good point there. I think that as soon as the weather warms up I'll cook a steak on the grill. Bake a nice big potato. Make a salad and garlic bread. Then I'll sit down to a nice meal with a Miller Genuine Draft in a frosty bottle and see if it is as good as I remember. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 23, 2016 - 08:14 AM.

• HDWildBill and Bmerf have said thanks

#5 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:35 AM

I like beer, especially with barbecue, but haven't had one in 10+ years.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:38 AM

My palate has changed over the years, but I've always liked most beers.  I drink mostly stouts, as they are the nicest to my head.  I've been battling a beer-related allergy for years.  It can give me migraine type headaches that get so bad I will vomit.  Worst case was me being if a fetal position for 12 hours yacking my brains out.  I didn't drink beer for about 2 years after that.  I can drink liquor and wine all day with no issues.???

Back to topic...there are a lot of craft beers out there if you are into trying different beers.  I always enjoy trying different beers.  Yes, you will find some you don't like.  It's nice to go somewhere that serves small samples to try them.  I'm sure you could find something out there you liked with some experimenting.  You'll pay more for them, but I would rather drink a couple good beers that I like over drinking 12 so-so beers.  Plus, if you get a strong beer, you'll only want to drink a few anyway.  Three 10%+ beers goes a long way.

• Dieselcubmike and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:50 AM

My experience is very much like Titus.  

I really love beer...much moreso than I used to, but I vary the type often, and prefer something with a bolder flavor than years past.  I used to like a mixed drink now and again, or a bourbon, and even some wine.  Nowadays, if something sounds good, it's beer.  In fact, it's rare that a day goes by that beer wouldn't suit me.  

However, where I used to drink beer (plural), I now am happy with A beer (singular).  My wife has even called me out before..."You've been drinking beer for over an hour!"  My response is typically, "Yeah, but it's the same beer I opened an hour ago."  I like a good sipper...

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 09:07 AM

I drank one brand and one brand only for 35 years. Bunch of us use to have a beer nite, which was Friday nite. A few of us would get together and drink beer and shoot the bull. Now, none of us do that anymore, beer nite now is me by myself and having one beer and some times only a 1/2, put the cap back on and put it in the fridge. My taste for beer has certainly changed.

Noel

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:12 AM

I used to keep Budwieser stock up, but now I don't really drink all that much. When I do, it's an icy Killians Irish Red long neck.
Something about the first pull from a bottle... the clouds part, the sun comes out, and all is right with the world.
  • Dieselcubmike and HANKG have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 10:43 AM

I'm a bit surprised to find out I'm in great company on the subject of beer.  Like Rick I did my fair share of drinking when I was younger and in the Navy.  During my first half of my career it was fashionable and encouraged to drink and have a good time.  Then suddenly the tide turned and all kinds of policies came out about drinking to much and it could even effect promotions.   But like a lot of you when I married my wife and as age started creeping in my tastes changed and for a long time I didn't drink.  Then one day I was visiting our son and he offered me an Ale and liked it.  So now I will have an Ale after a long hot day in the shop but I have no taste for beer.

On a side note about taste.  Recently I have decided to change what I eat and have eliminated most all sugars, processed foods.  I try to eat fresh organic foods and I'm finding out that things I did not like earlier in life I now enjoy.  So as you do get older your tastes do change and I think sometimes for the better.

• jpackard56, boyscout862, Bmerf and 3 others have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:41 AM

I'm with WildBill on the change in flavours that come with changing eating habits. But as far as beer goes? How anything that looks so good; frosty, sweating golden glass with a beautiful foaming head of white..... can taste so vile, is beyond me. Sorry guys, I'm not a beer fan.

• MH81, jpackard56 and David Brown have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:42 AM

I'm a bit surprised to find out I'm in great company on the subject of beer.  Like Rick I did my fair share of drinking when I was younger and in the Navy.  During my first half of my career it was fashionable and encouraged to drink and have a good time.  Then suddenly the tide turned and all kinds of policies came out about drinking to much and it could even effect promotions.   But like a lot of you when I married my wife and as age started creeping in my tastes changed and for a long time I didn't drink.  Then one day I was visiting our son and he offered me an Ale and liked it.  So now I will have an Ale after a long hot day in the shop but I have no taste for beer.

On a side note about taste.  Recently I have decided to change what I eat and have eliminated most all sugars, processed foods.  I try to eat fresh organic foods and I'm finding out that things I did not like earlier in life I now enjoy.  So as you do get older your tastes do change and I think sometimes for the better.

Its the better half's influence. Good Luck, Rick

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:50 AM

I liked the taste of beer a bit too much..  Back in my days the variety wasn't so diverse as it is today..

Miller. Bud, Pabst, Labatt, Coors & of course our local brewer Genesee were the ones I drank.  

I haven't had a sip in almost 20 years..

Our state is getting so bad that if you even sniff a beer you are DWI..  

You are presumed guilty until proven innocent with the gestapo-like police force as well..  Friggin' Lib-tards..

• MH81, dodge trucker and Bill 76 have said thanks

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:11 PM

I never could stand Budweiser, I have always preferred Miller. Lite, MGD, but the best is High Life. I never really got into the home brews.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 12:18 PM

I am on a first name basis with the local off sale. And the other 5 closest to my house.

I got customer of the year once at the local pub. It was kinda close though, I worked there two nights a week thru the winter, and they subtracted my wages off my $ spent there.

How else do you folks think I put up with Bill and Doug?
  • DougT, MH81, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks