18 replies to this topic

#16 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 10:38 AM

From what I have read, zinc reduction in oil used in late model cars was brought about by our friends at the EPA. Zinc is destructive to catalytic converters thus the requirement for reduced zinc levels in most oils used in passenger cars. All of my vehicles and tractors run synthetic oils with a zinc additive, Lucas Engine Break In Oil Additive. Attached are the zinc values of Lucas products from their web site.Attached File  Zinc_Values.pdf   53.58KB   20 downloads

Note that the products with higher zinc levels are for Hot Rods, Classic Cars, Break-In and Racing Only.

Edited by MolonLabe, March 25, 2016 - 11:20 AM.

• limebuzz, MFDAC, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#17 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 825 Thanks
  • 472 posts

Posted March 30, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Wish Walmart still had the SuperTech filters. They were the best you could find for a GoldWing.

This morning I went to Walmart to buy oil and filters for the trucks.  Got all excited they had SuperTech filters on the shelf!

After grabbing filters I went for the oil and found out they didn't have the SuperTech oil I needed. :mad2:   I really hate Walmart.

• MFDAC, old coot and pidjones have said thanks

#18 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 45 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:06 AM

i finally (took a few weeks to get back to me ) contacted a friend of mine who works in the office at our local walmart and asked her if she knew or could find out about super tech oil....she did some research and said Walmart takes bids every year for super tech oil and Pennzoil ,Quaker state ,Shell were the lowest bidders with Pennzoil being the lowest bidder in the last 9-10 years...does that prove anything to me ?...I really don't know...if super tech was really Pennzoil under the super tech label then I sure wouldn't be afraid to use it  I guess I just wanted to pass this info on ...take it as you will...myself I 'm not sold yet on super tech till I know 100% it's not recycled stuff , we may never really know

#19 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 02:41 PM

This morning I went to Walmart to buy oil and filters for the trucks.  Got all excited they had SuperTech filters on the shelf!

After grabbing filters I went for the oil and found out they didn't have the SuperTech oil I needed. :mad2:   I really hate Walmart.

And after I bought a case of Champions!