• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 39 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:48 AM

was wondering if anyone has used  super tech oil from walmart or traveller oil from tractor supply ? I know it's a lot cheaper in price and I do know one guy who swears by either brand....I have read reviews about both oils and either oil seems good but would rather have some input here   thanks for any info and sorry if a thread like this exists as I cannot find it

#2 MiCarl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75926
  • 682 Thanks
  • 413 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 05:55 AM

SuperTech is the oil I usually use.  It's in the trucks, the motorcycles and the power equipment.  Assuming they have it in stock when I need it.  The stores by me are pretty inconsistent on what they have on the shelves.

• Alc and old coot have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 06:02 AM

have used both but neither consistently.  Don't have a TSC within 40 miles of here, so don't get to go in there very often but Walmart.. all over. 

I used to use "nothing but" Valvoline or Pennzoil, the deciding factor was what was on sale at the time between those 2. Used to be I wanted nothing to do with "house brand" oils, not knowing who really bottled that oil and added the additives, but as often as I change oil these days, and having to do so in so many engines, I cannot afford current Valvoline and pennzoil prices.

the price of gas is around 1/2 of what it was like 1-1/2 years ago but for some reason the price of a quart of oil hasn't followed; doesn't oil come out of the same hole in the ground? I don't get this.

• boyscout862, old coot, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:09 AM

the price of gas is around 1/2 of what it was like 1-1/2 years ago but for some reason the price of a quart of oil hasn't followed; doesn't oil come out of the same hole in the ground? I don't get this.

Same thing with new steel, scrap prices are super low, but new steel prices are still super high.

I use the Traveller stuff from TSC, sometimes in the vehicles, but normally in the equipment. As DT stated, I change it often enough, I'm not worried about it. We used it primarily in my son's Bronco, it leaked so much oil we were putting in a quart every 2 weeks, it changed it's own oil!

• old coot said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 08:07 AM

There was a news blurb a few months back about one of the discount places selling an oil that was not for cars newer than the 70s. You do need to look at the letter code certification on the label. I use CITGO oil because a local chain store, Bennys, puts it on sale for $2 per quart and then offers a $0.50 per quart rebate. They happen 3 times per year and I'm allowed 24 quarts each time. Which is enough for my needs. Good Luck, Rick

#6 pidjones OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Wish Walmart still had the SuperTech filters. They were the best you could find for a GoldWing.

• KC9KAS and old coot have said thanks

#7 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:22 AM

I used to use Traveler, but imo the quality is not there, then used Penzoil for a while until I could no longer find their HD30, I now use Rottella 30W in all of my equipment, truck gets 5w-30 synthetic blend(I don't change that myself)and I have never had to add any oil to it.  When I lived in PA, I used a brand called Pitt-Penn, it was cheap but it was a good oil.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,772 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 07:52 PM

I have used Northland for years.  Probably not the cheapest but I trust it completely and have had real good luck with it.  all my other lubes are Northland brand.  Get it locally from a private repair shop owner.  My truck gets Quaker State High Mileage and changed ever 3K.

#9 Paulgo OFFLINE  

• Member No: 68759
  • 560 Thanks
  • 370 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 05:43 PM

My GT's get 30w in the spring, 5w30 in the fall, and not enough use for it to get dirty. Switched to SuperTech last year after reading the specs and deciding it was fine for my application. I don't think I would trust the additives to hold up for heavy use with long waits between changes. My truck gets a synthetic. Whatever is on sale at the time.

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,869 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 08:14 PM

I was using Super Tech 30wt with the HH120 but now the new Honda clone engine says 10-30 is ok so that's what I plan on keeping in it. Still use the ST 30wt in the MF8E (10 HP Techumseh).

I also use Super Tech 10-30 in my wife's Dodge Journey. My GMC's (1955 and a 1972) get Rotella 15-40. I will have to check oil brands and prices at Tractor Supply.

Yeah it's pretty amazing that NOTHING that blames it price increases on high crude oil prices besides gasoline has come down a bit during these low barrel prices. On second thought I guess that it's not amazing at all---it's normal---opps---rant off!

Edited by MFDAC, March 24, 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• old coot and propane1 have said thanks

#11 lamina1982 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 71166
  • 30 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 24, 2016 - 10:24 PM

I always use super tech full synth inall my cars, always been happy with it. Usually change at 5-10k miles and no issues thus far.

#12 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,228 Thanks
  • 3,216 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:17 AM

Read the specs on the label, if it fits the need it's fine. But keep in mind, $10 for 2 qt's of good oil is way cheaper than $600 rebuild, or a replacement.

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 08:20 AM

Oil discussions are always all over the place but since I have found the Kohler oil with zinc additive I have switched it over to all my equipment. This older equipment needs the zinc additive to help decrease wear and alot of the cheap $2 oils do not have it

The kohler stuff I sell is about $4.95 a QT which is not bad, most other stores should have it at that price as well.

• old coot and MolonLabe have said thanks

#14 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,885 Thanks
  • 3,117 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Would the container, that the oil is in, say if it had zinc in it ? I have never noticed when I look at the labels. Price of oil is so expensive that I try to buy the least expensive oil, so probably no zinc in it ?

#15 olds45512 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 77943
  • 567 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 25, 2016 - 09:26 AM

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for oil is ppm (parts per million) of zinc content, zinc is added to oil as as an anti wear/anti scuffing agent and it's job is basically to keep metal parts that rub together from eating each other (like cams and lifters). The government is pushing oil makers to remove zinc from the oil because it's bad for the environment and it's no big deal with today's engines as they are full roller engines that don't require zinc but when it comes to old l&g engines its a must, when it comes to older engines the more zinc the better. I once found a chart that showed the ppm of zinc in every brand of oil but can't seem to find it now but the manufacturers should be able to supply you with that info, for what it's worth I run Valvoline as it had one of the highest ppm of zinc available.
  • limebuzz, old coot and MolonLabe have said thanks