Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

My Shop


  • Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#61 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 18, 2016 - 11:17 PM

Worked on a craftsman rer today and a Baja minibike. The mini bike needs more work I cleaned the carb but it stall with no throttle I'm going to try and make to intake gaskets to see if that help. I can tell by looking at the spark plug it running lean.


Edited by bbuckler, April 18, 2016 - 11:18 PM.


#62 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

    Aaron

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts
  • Location: Ohio

Posted April 19, 2016 - 06:52 AM

97cc 2.8hp?  Those things are always so finicky.  I don't think they even test run engines before they ship them out.  I've seen many of those bikes come right from the store and not run.  Although a 99 dollar harbor freight 6.5 predator, and a 25 dollar 3/4" clutch and they will rip around like crazy!

 

Mini bikes are my other hobby! :oh_shucks:


  • WNYTractorTinkerer and bbuckler have said thanks

#63 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 19, 2016 - 01:19 PM

Anybody know how hard it is to get tools finance with snap on ? I have zero credit and my cheap stuff is starting to break.



#64 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 19, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Darn Dixon decided to stall out half away through mowing. It got a issue with wiring somewhere because it draining the battery.



#65 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted April 19, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Before you start paying your life away to Snap-on you might want to look at pawn shops and yard sales to find cheaper quality tools. 


  • TexasG said thank you

#66 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 19, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Before you start paying your life away to Snap-on you might want to look at pawn shops and yard sales to find cheaper quality tools. 

pawn shops are higher here than buying new and the yard sale suck here only baby clothes.

I visited my uncle a few years back in Ohio and every yard sale I went to had tools.


Edited by bbuckler, April 19, 2016 - 08:54 PM.


#67 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

    Aaron

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts
  • Location: Ohio

Posted April 20, 2016 - 12:49 PM

I never understood the need for expensive tools.  I've worked in the coal mines for the last 13 years.  Heavy machinery, rusty stuff, and highly abused tools.  90% of the tools used are Wright, and the other 10% is made up of proto, and craftsman stuff.

 

I've never been on a repair job and went "if I only had snap on tools I could make this work" 

 

What are you breaking so frequently that you feel the need to go in debt for tools?

 

I have a cresent tool box thing that has 1/4,3/8, 1/2 metric and standard in it, and that tool kit has been used on just about every tractor restore, or automotive repair I've done in the last 10 years.  The only reason I frequently grab it is because its all together in one nice box.


Edited by toomanytoys84, April 20, 2016 - 12:51 PM.

  • WNYTractorTinkerer, Sawdust and bbuckler have said thanks

#68 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 20, 2016 - 03:34 PM

I

 

I never understood the need for expensive tools.  I've worked in the coal mines for the last 13 years.  Heavy machinery, rusty stuff, and highly abused tools.  90% of the tools used are Wright, and the other 10% is made up of proto, and craftsman stuff.

 

I've never been on a repair job and went "if I only had snap on tools I could make this work" 

 

What are you breaking so frequently that you feel the need to go in debt for tools?

 

I have a cresent tool box thing that has 1/4,3/8, 1/2 metric and standard in it, and that tool kit has been used on just about every tractor restore, or automotive repair I've done in the last 10 years.  The only reason I frequently grab it is because its all together in one nice box.

It was a Stanley tool set that lasted a year I got a toolbox full of tools but I used the toolset the most.


  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#69 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

    Aaron

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts
  • Location: Ohio

Posted April 20, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I personally would do some research and invest in some better than stanely stuff. Making the jump to snap on is quite a leap. I've heard decent things about the Lowes kobalt line but I personally don't have any.

It is your money and your shop. Just weighing in my thoughts. You know what they say about opinions!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 20, 2016 - 03:39 PM.

  • bbuckler said thank you

#70 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 20, 2016 - 04:07 PM

I personally would do some research and invest in some better than stanely stuff. Making the jump to snap on is quite a leap. I've heard decent things about the Lowes kobalt line but I personally don't have any.

It is your money and your shop. Just weighing in my thoughts. You know what they say about opinions!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My uncle that lives up the road loves his kobalt tools.


  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#71 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

    Tinker Master

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts
  • Location: Avon, NY

Posted April 20, 2016 - 04:40 PM

I am in no way brand-loyal to any make tool but when I was ~20 YO I spent $200 on a craftsman tool kit..  I still have many of them today and have gotten many free replacements through the year.  Stanley, Proto or Snapon or Mac or even HF works better than not having the tool I need in my book.  I don't have enough $$$ to frivolously waste on high end tool boxes and gimmicks..  I can bust knuckles just fine with any brand!

 

Just how I roll!  


  • TheFarm2004, toomanytoys84 and bbuckler have said thanks

#72 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted April 20, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I have a friend who had to have Snap-on everything. He died and the shop he owned was about $130k in debt to Snap-on. I just dont see the sense in it. 

 

Craftsman is now Chinese and garbage. Last ratchet I bought didn't last long. I have Kobalt and Huskee and they have served me well. I bought a DeWalt socket set and the ratchets are great, the sockets are garbage - rounded out several of the sockets. SK makes great stuff. So does GearWrench, Crescent, and Stanley.

 

 

If you were closer I would let you dig through the big bucket of tools in the shop. 


  • WNYTractorTinkerer and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#73 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts
  • Location: Killeen,Tx

Posted April 20, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I have a friend who had to have Snap-on everything. He died and the shop he owned was about $130k in debt to Snap-on. I just dont see the sense in it. 

 

Craftsman is now Chinese and garbage. Last ratchet I bought didn't last long. I have Kobalt and Huskee and they have served me well. I bought a DeWalt socket set and the ratchets are great, the sockets are garbage - rounded out several of the sockets. SK makes great stuff. So does GearWrench, Crescent, and Stanley.

 

 

If you were closer I would let you dig through the big bucket of tools in the shop. 

My uncle in Ohio is like that big fancy toolboxes that he cleans his hands before getting tools out of and buy two of everything. But he don't like Snap-On he more into mac and matco. Been a diesel mechanic most of his life.



#74 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

    Aaron

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts
  • Location: Ohio

Posted April 20, 2016 - 08:23 PM

I want one if those big tool boxes with the built in work bench and TV fridge and microwave built in. That would be awesome.
  • UncleWillie and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#75 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

    wabbit wangler

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,728 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts
  • Location: Gaston county, NC

Posted April 20, 2016 - 09:09 PM

I want one if those big tool boxes with the built in work bench and TV fridge and microwave built in. That would be awesome.

And would cost more than my house.


  • TheFarm2004 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks




Top