jamiemarxa
  • Member No: 81873
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:41 PM

serial number 3370

1968 jd 140 H1

k301 engine

wiring diagram needed,  the wiring has been butchered so many times i just need to know where the wires go.

I am basically replacing everything electrical,  it came to me missing wires and burned off wires.  it sat in the woods for 2 years before i got it and i am determined to get it going,  compression is good,  the part i am having trouble with is the key switch,  i have no clue what wires go to what poles.  anyone got any advice?

#2 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:56 PM

this should help

140 wiring.png

the wiring should be 14 gauge wire, 16 gauge will work if you have to.  You can use 14 gauge wire from the solenoid or fuse to the switch, but 12 gauge is better.

You should be able to get the wiring connectors and wiring connector housing from deere.

that is where I get mine.

I have made several wiring harness over the years and I like the 14 gauge wire the best.

good luck and have fun

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! Congrats on the 140. The wiring is pretty straight forward and building a new harness is a good way to improve the reliability of the tractor.

#4 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:44 AM

jamiemarxa:

Welcome to GTTalk. I had a JD 140 for over 20 years, and loved it. Worked it pretty hard, and bought a 318 in late 2011 to replace it.

Check your Personal Messages, I have some info I could send you that might help.

Harlan

• jamiemarxa said thank you

#5 jamiemarxa OFFLINE  

jamiemarxa
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:35 PM

this should help

attachicon.gif140 wiring.png

the wiring should be 14 gauge wire, 16 gauge will work if you have to.  You can use 14 gauge wire from the solenoid or fuse to the switch, but 12 gauge is better.

You should be able to get the wiring connectors and wiring connector housing from deere.

that is where I get mine.

I have made several wiring harness over the years and I like the 14 gauge wire the best.

good luck and have fun

that is the only diagram i could find also,  the wire harness i bought belongs to this diagram, yes, i broke down and bought one.  it is for tractors 10000 to 24001 tractors,  most of the wires are the same except my 1968 has 2 black wires and 1 red wire going into the regulator,  the harness has a brown white wire and an all brown wire with a green wire inbetween.  the second difference is the pink wire in my 1968 is replaced with a white wire in this harness.  the white dead ends in a 3 prong harness down by the stator,  there are no other wires to hook it to.  another difference is the keyswitch on a 1968 is a 4 prong versus the 1969 that has a 5 prong,

S               this is the diagram keyswitch                 D        S

I             B                                                                           B              this is my 140's starter switch

A           R                                                                                     C        

which wires go where.....?  I know C battery lead from the starter solenoid,  S goes to the starter,  B is the accessory   "D" belongs to ???

#6 jamiemarxa OFFLINE  

jamiemarxa
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:53 PM

Welcome to GTTalk! Congrats on the 140. The wiring is pretty straight forward and building a new harness is a good way to improve the reliability of the tractor.

I got her pretty cheap,  $200 complete tractor,  mower deck and all.....

• Trav1s said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 23, 2016 - 11:26 AM

I got her pretty cheap,  $200 complete tractor,  mower deck and all.....

Awesome deal! They are really hard to find up here.

#8 jamiemarxa OFFLINE  

jamiemarxa
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 02:01 AM

Update.....hit eBay, got a service shop manual for $12 and figured it all out. I now have diagrams for anything 140 serial number 30,000 down, it shows in great detail how to rebuild everything on this machine. For the first time in 4 years I hit the key, she fired up on the first try, ran like a champ. Got the new tires mounted up, looking for another set of rims so I can make dual tires....found 2 rear original rear tires and 1 original front tire, I think I'm gonna run it for the summer and then rebuild the motor this winter and then repaint it. Found an original set of decals on eBay for the hood. Only thing I am missing now is the gas cap. One more question though, it only has 70psi cylinder compression. Book says 110 to 120 is normal but this tractor purrs nice....do I wait or should I just do it?
  • Trav1s said thank you

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Nice find. I have a 1970 140H3 and have the service manual. Great tractors, used mine all winter for blowing snow. Because mine is an h3, I put a cylinder on the chute tip to move it up and down. Works great.

Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by propane1, April 03, 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 07:46 AM

Know the K series engines have ACR so the only way to test compression is run it backwards.  

Just curious, what is the serial number of your tractor, the early '68's had some unique features including a serial tag on the right side of the dash pedestal.  

#11 jamiemarxa OFFLINE  

jamiemarxa
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 10:11 PM

My serial number is 3071, they started at 1000, I bought it from the 2nd owner who owned it since 1972, it mowed 4 acres consistantly till 4 years ago, he parked it in the woods and bought a 185 hydro, I pulled it out of the woods and loaded her up, it sat on jack stands for 2 years while I fixed the seals and got the hydro all cleaned out. Magneto was junk so I went to a coil setup, she runs good but now I am having issues pulling, not sure what I'm doing wrong on the carb, I have the vin tag on the side of the dash pedestal, it's got the cigarette lighter.

#12 jamiemarxa OFFLINE  

jamiemarxa
  • 3 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 24, 2016 - 11:24 PM

figured out the carb,  got it all figured out,  she pulls like a dream,  couldn't ask for a better tractor,  found a second 140 in a barn,  been setting there for 20 yrs,  1971 H1,  added gas,  hit the key and it fired up,  def needs work but for $500,  couldn't ask for more,  i also found a 110 with a blown motor,  $100....been getting all sorts of lucky lately....

#13 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:43 AM

What's the serial on the '71?  I believe that has the later style pump/rear and would make an excellent worker.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1968, 140, k301, wiring, diagram