14 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Did an agway tiller for a guy. He called and said it it shutting off going down hill.. not on the flat and not up hill. The tank was cleaned. Has a new filter. Already checked the gas cap. Float level is good and has a new needle and seat. And new fuel line. This is a 8hp briggs with an updraft carb. Is is pushing the float shut going down hill and starving it for gas? Are these old up drafts like that? Any suggestions? Carb is also spotless and the float isn't sticking. He said it isn't much of a hill but that can mean different things to different people.

Edited by Tecumseh power, March 21, 2016 - 07:33 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:10 PM

Most likely a float bowl fuel level issue. I had the same thing happen with a Briggs 23 with an updraft carb and a sticky needle valve. It was like someone shut the fuel off when going downhill, but the carb was actually flooding.
  • boyscout862, chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:22 PM

I set the float but I didn't make it level I put it just ever so slightly down I mean not much at all just a hair. Because I have had problems with them before when they were level. I'm sure the needle isn't sticking. But maybe I need to level the float perfect
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:34 PM

And he sent me a picture of the hill. It is hardly an incline. I did check spark as soon as it quits and it is good

#5 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Most likely a float bowl fuel level issue. I had the same thing happen with a Briggs 23 with an updraft carb and a sticky needle valve. It was like someone shut the fuel off when going downhill, but the carb was actually flooding.

when you put the needle back in does the end of the spring clip need to point a certain way? I know on a Tecumseh the end has to point toward the air filter. Idk why they don't catch on anything but on the Tecumseh I put them in the way it says. I couldn't find anything like that for the briggs so I just put it on

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:19 PM

What is the fuel level in the tank ?  ....Is the fuel sloshing away from the tank outlet ?

Is the mixture too rich or too lean when the engine dies out ?

If there is a downward loop in the fuel hose ? ....Sometimes a "trap" is created and flow stops.

• boyscout862, HANKG, classic and 2 others have said thanks

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:21 PM

The spring should be installed as the Briggs manual states. I'm sure that it will have an effect on how the float works. I'll try to find a pic for you. You could just have some debris in the carb, even though you just had it apart. It doesn't take much to foul things up.
  • boyscout862, chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#8 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:27 PM

This float came out of an NOS Briggs model 23 carb. This is how the needle spring should be installed. It does make a difference, since the end of the spring needs to bend inward towards the center of the float.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151024_223203-1.jpg

• chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:09 PM

Tank is full, there is a downward loop In the fuel line. Also I couldn't find anything in the book about that spring so the pic is helpful I will have to check it. If it isn't facing the right way it may be catching on something . The way that pic is the end is facing the block correct?

#10 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I had this carb apart like 6 times until I got that main jet to seal.I finally worked where it seats with a q tip in my drill and rubbing compound. So it's really clean but I will check it again

#11 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:36 PM

I'm betting that the needle and seat may be leaking. If the needle spring contacts the aluminum ears for the float pin, it may hold the needle out of alignment with the seat. The needle will then hang up in the seat and cause problems. Just make sure that the spring does not contact anything. Sometimes the tab on the float will get a dimple in it from wear from the needle. This can cause the needle to be cocked out of alignment with the seat. These flo-jet carbs will work flawlessly as long as they are clean and no parts are worn.
  • Tecumseh power said thank you

#12 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:44 PM

I'm betting that the needle and seat may be leaking. If the needle spring contacts the aluminum ears for the float pin, it may hold the needle out of alignment with the seat. The needle will then hang up in the seat and cause problems. Just make sure that the spring does not contact anything. Sometimes the tab on the float will get a dimple in it from wear from the needle. This can cause the needle to be cocked out of alignment with the seat. These flo-jet carbs will work flawlessly as long as they are clean and no parts are worn.

thanks a lot for your help and ideas. I remember when I put the new needle seat and spring clip in that I thought it was pretty close to those ears on the float. And saying to myself I wonder if this needs pointed a certain way like a Tecumseh does. Tecumseh are pretty much all I do. But anyhow my book said nothing about it. So I'm going to check that when he brings it back to me. I will also take the loop out of the fuel line it was just so close to the exhaust I didn't want it to vapor lock. I looped it down by the oil full plug and up. The tank is on the tiller behind the motor. Hoping that will fix it for him . Has to be something little like that. It always is. If it was flooding out would it not come out the bottom of the intake . And you have to let it set for a second to restart it. Like your waiting a second for the bowl to fill back up. What I mean is you can't reach down and start it. You have to wait like 5 or 10 seconds

Edited by Tecumseh power, March 21, 2016 - 10:49 PM.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I knew you briggs guys could steer me right

#14 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 01:14 AM

Let us know how you make out. Troubleshooting this stuff can be a pain, but it's a good learning experience for everyone. I've picked up quite a few great tips on this sight.
  • HANKG, propane1, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#15 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I will