#1 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:30 PM

I am purchasing 4.75 acres soon. After purchasing the 4.75 acres I will have close to 6 acres. I told my wife that it is time to purchase a tractor. I have looked and looked for the past week and I have narrowed my selection down to a EMax 25 or a Mahindra 26XL. The difference between the EMax 25 is that the lifting capacity is 900 lbs vs 1400 lbs on the 26XL. Rear lift can lift 1400 lbs on the EMax and 2200 on the 26xl. All of the other differences are basically because of the large tire size on the 26xl. i.e. 26xl lifts higher and goes faster.

I am curious if there is any other tractors y'all would recommend for me to look at.  The main things I am looking for is a Front Loader, Diesel and Hydrostatic. Right now I am looking at spending 17k but the less I spend the happier my wife will be

• limebuzz and Leonardfuri have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:32 PM

What other dealers are close by?

• SearsYellow said thank you

#3 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:45 PM

A reaily good tractor is the Massey Harris 101 Senior. BUT I don't think it's any where close to what your looking for. LOL.

• SearsYellow and propane1 have said thanks

#4 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Kubota, Ford, New Holland, Mahindra, TYM, LS, Northern Tool Tractors (NorTrac), Kioti, Massey Ferugson, Case IH, Branson. That's the dealers that's close by that I found on a google search. Probably a good 70 mile radius.

BTW I do have a 1948 Farmall Cub. It's not going anywhere.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 20, 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:01 PM

I think the new Masseys and the New Hollands (which is also Case now) are good tractors. Won't get very big one for 17k, more like 25K for what I think you are wanting. Watch sales, they are on now all over. Many have package deals with some attachments and occasionally a trailer even.

#6 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 05:09 PM

The main thing I am looking to do with this tractor is keeping my gravel road maintained, using it to haul wood in/out of the woods, clean ditches, planting post with an auger and saving my back with a set of forks.  The 26xl will use all 5 foot equipment. Like I said it will lift 1400 lbs with the loader and 2200 with the 3 pt hitch.

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 06:22 PM

I was disappointed in the Mahindra tractors but most seem to like them, to much plastic for me. I have heard the Tym tractors are nice and the dealer support was far better but that may just be my area. I have seen great deals on LS tractors but know nothing about them or their dealers. Buy what makes you feel proud to own, and just like a car that you feel comfortable with the dealer is important. Sometimes just because its pretty doesn't mean it will work for you!

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Does it have to be new? With that budget I'd look a several older tractors. I have a 1973 Ford 2000 with FEL and an 8 speed. It does all you were asking and was only $5800 when I bought it 30 years ago. That would leave enough money for a small barn and a couple of GTs. Good Luck, Rick

• SearsYellow and Chopperhed have said thanks

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 12:25 AM

We were in a similar situation about 12 years ago when we bought our place. I had never lived on more than an acre and suddenly had 40+! Tractors were a new thing to learn about...
I would go frequent some of the larger tractor forums. One I spend a fair amount of time on is tractorbynet. Like this forum but dealing with the bigger machines.

New people show up telling our story regularly over there!
Some of the things you hear;
No one ever complains about buying too much tractor - you will, however, regret buying too small.
You buy dealership and support more than the tractor. Find a dealer you are happy with.
Like on GT's, little features mean a lot when you spend a lot of time in the seat. Nothing beats test drives.
Get something with a loader - you won't believe how much you will use it!
Tractors are big money, but they last a long time - penny wise, dollar foolish.
Decide what you want to do with it, THEN decide what features you want, then look at brand.

We ended up buying a Deere CUT. But I liked several other brands as well. People argue 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive and gear vs hydro. 2 wheel gear is cheaper, but 4 wheel hydro is easier to use, especially if you are just learning... I also spent more $$ and bought new - I like fiddling with my GT's, but my big tractor is a tool and I need it to work reliably with minimal upkeep. YMMV.....
  • MH81 and SearsYellow have said thanks

#10 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted March 21, 2016 - 09:35 PM

Get one of the older Ford tractors. I'm yet to see my dads Ford tractor let us down.

I would think a 1500 or newer similar tractor would be good. Some come with hydro tranny also...

Edited by Greasy6020, March 21, 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#11 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 07:22 AM

I'm still looking. I've found the New Holland Boomer 24. I like the setup of the tractor. It's a little less tractor than the Mahindra 26XL. It doesn't have a rocker pedal it has two pedals. The fel joysticks sits right in front of the fender instead of the loader frame. It'll pick up 400 lbs less than the XL and about 800 lbs less on the 3 pt. Even though I believe New Holland underestimates their tractors. The XL and Boomer is the same size. I learned also this morning that LS tractors make New Holland tractors. LS tractors would be the XL version of Ford's back in the day and New Holland would be the King Ranch version.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 22, 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 08:22 AM

I considered the Mahindra.  Yes, they have a good lift rating but, at the same time, that kind of concerns me.  Sure, the hydraulics are made to lift 900 pounds BUT, are the front wheel drive systems going to hold up under those loads?  That's the kind of thing that concerns me with any 4wd tractor.  That's the area that you need to watch.  The guy I went to sold both Mahindra and Massey at the time.  The Mahindra was $1000 more right off (probably because of the greater capacities).  I liked that the Mahindra had slightly taller tires (although they may be an odd size and harder to find, don't know).  When it came down to talking the guy said that the Mahindra seems to be a good machine but he didn't know how it would be years down the road.  He could have made more money in the sale but his honesty sold me on the Massey.  I don't care for a rocker pedal and the Massey has the two separate pedals that I do like.  in the end, all of these tractors are really very close in what they can do.  Do some research on the engines and see who is using what.  So my FEL can only pick up 650 pounds or so (I have the smallest model).  I can't pick that much up so I'm happy that it can.  Try them all (that's half the fun, isn't it?) and see which one "feels" right.  Look at warranties and what the dealer will do for you.  There are many factors to consider.  Quite frankly, I think everybody makes a fine machine in this category and I don't know that you can really go wrong with any of them so it comes down to personal choice, dealer and warranty.

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,017 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 09:30 AM

dealer and warranty.

I just read a very bad story about New Hollands warranty in the latest Farm Show. They left a part out of the transmission on a new tractor and it broke down. Trash went through the PTO and that broke down. Then it broke down again. The guy wants a new tractor and the dealer says he should get a new tractor. New Holland said they would give him a new tractor and months later says no deal. Pay us $7,500 then we will see.

I'm sure that will help sales when it gets around. :(

#14 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 10:28 AM

That was my exact thinking David Brown. I think New Holland would do the same as the Mahindra but New Holland is giving recommendations for the long run.

Cvans. There's always more to the story than meets the eye. New Holland is probably saying that everything should've been flushed by the dealer at the time of the first repair. The dealer didn't do it so he is probably passing the buck onto the consumer instead of taking the loss himself. That's why it's important to buy from a reputable dealer.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 22, 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• David Brown said thank you

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 22, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Mahindra has the single rocker pedal on the Max models, made in Japan.

They have twin pedals on the EMax tractors, made in South Korea.

Seems kinda backwards.......

On the odd tire sizes for the Mahindras? Rejoice! It may get easier and cheaper to find rear tires for the 400 series Case/Ingersolls and the Simplicity Powermax tractors!