Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need some eastern Ohio help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 11:59 AM

My daughter and her husband are looking at buying a house in eastern Ohio.  Yesterday we joined them to look at a little place in the Boardman/ Poland/ Canfield area.  It's a about 2 miles off Rt. 7.  Anyway, the house has had all major things replaced including roof, furnace, water heater, etc. within the last year.  It does need updated cosmetically which we will help them do over time.  Home inspection has shown us two things that should be taken care of soon.  They don't HAVE to be but it would be in their best interest.  Myself and the other father just don't have the time to go out and dot his stuff so we're looking for good, reasonable and reliable professionals to take care of these issues.  The house is priced accordingly to the point that they don't want to ask the seller to do any more to it.  Quite frankly, he's done enough.  First and foremost, we're looking for an electrician.  Honest, trustworthy and reasonable.  I've heard horror stories of people who moved to another state and they are just gouged by these folks because they don't know anyone.  I'm not clear on exactly what needs done but that doesn't matter at the moment anyway.  I just wantt o find the right person to look at it.  The second thing is the chimney.  There needs to be a little mortar work done around the top to be able to safely use it.  We don't have to worry about that until later this year and we may be able to do it if work slows down a little.

As a side note, my daughter just called and the seller has accepted their offer!  I guess we'll need to put this plan in motion.  Hey, my future granddaughter is going to grow up there so I want it to be safe.  Any ideas?  You can PM me with any info, I should would appreciate it.

• wvbuzzmaster and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 12:18 PM

Jeff, might find more on a chimney that is breaking down. Now days many just install stainless or flexible liners down into existing chimney, depending on how straight it is.  A newer furnace would not need a chimney at all, they use pvc pipe out the side of house if that is in future.  What about those "Angie's List" type sites?  Never looked at one, but might be a try. I also bet many Amish in that area for older type work like on the bricks I bet.  They probly don't do Electric, heh!

• David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Jeff, might find more on a chimney that is breaking down. Now days many just install stainless or flexible liners down into existing chimney, depending on how straight it is.  A newer furnace would not need a chimney at all, they use pvc pipe out the side of house if that is in future.  What about those "Angie's List" type sites?  Never looked at one, but might be a try. I also bet many Amish in that area for older type work like on the bricks I bet.  They probly don't do Electric, heh!

Well this chimney is for the fireplace.  What they may do is get a pellet stove insert for it.  Not sure but we'll worry about that later.  It's in such a place that you can't go out through the wall like you normally would.  There are more important things to think about at the moment.  Angie's List, that's a good thought BUT, to be completely honest, I trust you guys more than a site like that.  We know each other and help each other so I take greater stock in what you guys say over people I don't know or have never talked to.  Good thought though, thanks.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:06 PM

I agree with the comment about the amish, they do excellent work! They just finished a basement for me and it was the best work I have seen in a long time, and yes most amish do electric work or at least work with a good electrician as their reputation depends on it. They are by far the best and most affordable option around if you are not familiar with the area, they can help find reputable workers in the area. Another option is going to town hall and asking the building inspector who he recommends, just be warned they won't recommend the amish as they have little sway over them.
  • David Brown said thank you

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:25 PM

My two cents as a 36 year I.B.E.W. (union) construction electrician, I wouldn't hire Amish to wire ANYTHING, they don't BELIEVE in electricity WHY hire them to install it! I won't go into a rant so I'll leave to each there own and that's mine.

Jeff I'll PM you with my number I work for a contractor based out of the Warren OH area,we are pretty busy but I can put you in touch with several electrical contractors in the area, don't let the word union scare you off , we have residential rates, highly trained, qualified electricians and very reputable contractors that employ them, reference's etc.
  • David Brown, TomLGT195 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:52 PM

Coming to the good state! I'm a couple hours from Canfield area. Completely unrelated...They have the best fair in Canfield every year!

Awesome tractor and farming equipment show there.

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:56 PM

You could contact the local Better Business Bureau.

I personally know folks that work as union electricians, and they bring home WAY too much stuff to be economically friendly for the person paying the bill!

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:43 PM

You could contact the local Better Business Bureau.

I personally know folks that work as union electricians, and they bring home WAY too much stuff to be economically friendly for the person paying the bill!

I personally am a union electrician what I take home is my paycheck which I earn! I went to school for 5 years plus served a 10,000 on the job training apprentice ship. There are A-holes in every crowd, one bad example can ruin opportunities for many. We go to work every day and continue to gain employment opportunities regards of what the mindset of others based on preconceived notions
Our contractors give free estimates sometimes the least expensive is not always the best !

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:46 PM

Coming to the good state! I'm a couple hours from Canfield area. Completely unrelated...They have the best fair in Canfield every year!

Awesome tractor and farming equipment show there.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:47 PM

I haven't missed a Canfield Fair yet in my lifetime. I won't miss it if I can help it. I love that fair!
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted March 20, 2016 - 02:50 PM

[quote name="WrenchinOnIt" post="664686" timestamp="1458502989"]

I personally am a union electrician what I take home is my paycheck which I earn! I went to school for 5 years plus served a 10,000 on the job training apprentice ship. There are A-holes in every crowd, one bad example can ruin opportunities for many. We go to work every day and continue to gain employment opportunities regards of what the mindset of others based on preconceived notions
Our contractors give free estimates sometimes the least expensive is not always the best ![/quote

I don't want this to be a union bashing thing here. To each his own. We just want to find the best job for the best reasonable price. Please, let's keep it civil. Thank you.
  • DougT, oldedeeres and Little Irish Men have said thanks